Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
Say I get my two iPhone 5's on Friday morning, stroll down to the Apple Store at about 11am (once they are all out), pull them out and ask "How much?" to the people who missed out...

How much do you think people would pay, assuming my auctioneering skills were on point?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You may find one sucker who will pay about $100 over. It'll be locked to a carrier so you'll have that working against you. If you're truly not wishing to sell though, don't be a snot and just whip out your phone and ask how much.

GFLovesMy9Inchr

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
It depends on if you want one in the long run.

If you do, don't forget the cost of buying an out of contract new iphone 5 for yourself in 60 days when you can again walk in and pick one up. Chances are, if you add in your $199 that you paid with a contract renewal, and the cost of $499 for a non-contract phone, plus your upgrade fee and taxes, you will not be able to make any amount of money.

If you don't want to use the Iphone 5, and are happy with your current phone, I don't see why you couldn't make an easy $500.

----------

You may find one sucker who will pay about $100 over. It'll be locked to a carrier so you'll have that working against you.

I'm not sure where you live, but people are already offering $700 for an iphone 5 16gig all over craigslist in my area...

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I'm curious about this for a different reason. I have two iPhone 5s on pre-order but their expected delivery is Oct. 5. I'm considering walking into an AT&T store on Friday and buying the same two phones off-contract, then trying to sell the two that come in on pre-order for the off-contract price to recoup the loss. Think that might work?

I could always cancel the pre-order first, but if something goes wrong Friday I don't want to be left in the lurch.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
I've bought my 2 iPhone 5's directly from Apple and they are unlocked (you can do that in the UK).

So now the offer is... 2 iPhone 5's... Unlocked... Here in my hand... How much?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I don't really think your question will get you far here. Most people are not big fans of scalpels. Scalpers eat up the supply and deprive people of the product they want, unless they pay a ridiculous amount for it.

That being said, I hope it is like the ipad3, we're apple is sufficiently stocked and prepared and the Scalpers are hung out to dry.

I apologize if i sound like i am accusing you, because if that isn't your intentions,then you don't deserve it. How much will you get? I have no idea, unless the supply is super low and the demand super high, probably less than the unsubsidized cost. Ebay may be safer than a street auction...less likely to get mugged....

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
depends on the person. Personally, I would pay more just so I would not have to wait in line. I'd rather pay $200 more than sit in line for 6-7 hours

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not sure where you live, but people are already offering $700 for an iphone 5 16gig all over craigslist in my area...
Under a rock but offering to pay and actually paying are two different things.
That being said, I hope it is like the ipad3, we're apple is sufficiently stocked and prepared and the Scalpers are hung out to dry.
I'm hoping that too.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
I don't really think your question will get you far here. Most people are not big fans of scalpels. Scalpers eat up the supply and deprive people of the product they want, unless they pay a ridiculous amount for it.

I apologize if i sound like i am accusing you, because if that isn't your intentions,then you don't deserve it. How much will you get? I have no idea, unless the supply is super low and the demand super high, probably less than the unsubsidized cost. Ebay may be safer than a street auction...less likely to get mugged....

I've got mine coming on Friday, and have no intention of selling them, unless someone basically offers to pay my mortgage.

I was just idly wondering, because as you say, the supply increases year on year, thus diminishing the resale value somewhat. But in markets where the iPhone still isn't really available, they will overpay an awful lot to secure one.

It's just interesting!

DMHmac

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Two iPhone 5's? I will strike you a deal.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Go into my stable and take my finest stallion. He's yours. His name is Windermere.

GFLovesMy9Inchr

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Under a rock but offering to pay and actually paying are two different things.

I'm hoping that too.

I'm sure people take the time to post ads stating they will pay you a deposit now and they will pay in full on friday when your iphone 5 is delivered for $700. :rolleyes:

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Well you can find out from the horses mouth rather than guessing.

A quick scan of Ebay Completed Listings will tell you that they are selling at just over £630 on average for a 16GB, those priced at or near to £700 have not sold, so I would suggest a mark-up of around £100 is where demand is and not much more.

In short, hardly worth bothering.

JesalTV

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
London
Well you can find out from the horses mouth rather than guessing.

A quick scan of Ebay Completed Listings will tell you that they are selling at just over £630 on average for a 16GB, those priced at or near to £700 have not sold, so I would suggest a mark-up of around £100 is where demand is and not much more.

In short, hardly worth bothering.

Thank you!

An answer with specifics. Yeah £100 isn't worth the stress.

Apple will churn these out at a rate high enough to eliminate the bonus resale value of old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.