Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Looks like we have the answer. Per Verizon chat. I actually don't think it matters, as both should probably work. But I think I'll do it this way.

He says you CAN activate and then call, but the question is do you HAVE to activate the dumb line and then have it switched back? I would prefer to just call and have the iPhone activated on my line without the headache of the 'swap'. This is the one instance I'm a *little* happy to be getting my iPhone a week later than launch day...at least I'll know the proper protocol the day I receive it...

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
He says you CAN activate and then call, but the question is do you HAVE to activate the dumb line and then have it switched back? I would prefer to just call and have the iPhone activated on my line without the headache of the 'swap'. This is the one instance I'm a *little* happy to be getting my iPhone a week later than launch day...at least I'll know the proper protocol the day I receive it...

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The question is about the necessity. Well, I finally decided I'm just gonna call them without activating the line first and ask them flat out if I need to. My guess is they'll probably say "nah, we can just transfer it now." If not, then I'll just activate first. Either way we'll be fine. :p

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Looks like we have the answer. Per Verizon chat. I actually don't think it matters, as both should probably work. But I think I'll do it this way.

That also doesn't mention whether initially activating the subsidized phone ON an Unlimited Data Line will trigger the system to force you out of your UDP. The Agent's just giving you info on activating the phone on to another line, which yes, of course you can do... the question is whether or not the agent was aware that you're trying to keep your UDP and whether or not it will affect your plan by activating directly.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That also doesn't mention whether initially activating the subsidized phone ON an Unlimited Data Line will trigger the system to force you out of your UDP. The Agent's just giving you info on activating the phone on to another line, which yes, of course you can do... the question is whether or not the agent was aware that you're trying to keep your UDP and whether or not it will affect your plan by activating directly.

Ah, I see. In my case, the subsidized phone has been purchased on a "dumb phone" line with a new 2GB plan, not an UDL to begin with. I would expect activating a subsidized phone ON an UDL would force you out of UDP.

I guess the reason why I didn't go further in questioning is your example doesn't apply in my specific case :p

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

activating a phone does not change your data plan. It would be the same as if you were to buy a phone outright and activate it on your UDP plan, how would it know the difference? You signed a contract for the subsidized phone on another line it doesnt matter what line it goes to after you sign the dotted line.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
activating a phone does not change your data plan. It would be the same as if you were to buy a phone outright and activate it on your UDP plan, how would it know the difference? You signed a contract for the subsidized phone on another line it doesnt matter what line it goes to after you sign the dotted line.

Right. Okay, finally starting to wrap my head around all of this. So then calling them and making the switch before even turning the phone on should be no problem then? That's what I'm starting to think.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Ah, I see. In my case, the subsidized phone has been purchased on a "dumb phone" line with a new 2GB plan, not an UDL to begin with. I would expect activating a subsidized phone ON an UDL would force you out of UDP.

I guess the reason why I didn't go further in questioning is your example doesn't apply in my specific case :p

Yes, that's what a lot of people are doing, however, Im still not sure it won't cause a problem and wont make you lose UDP. Every Verizon Rep Ive spoken to has advised that the subsidized phone has to be activated on the line first before handing the line over. Even if you can do it the other way around, I'd just figure that its best to do it the way the Reps have mentioned. My personal thought would be that if keeping an unlimited data plan is important it is probably worth the extra time it'll take to set up that way.

REDTAZ

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2011
Los Angeles, California
Also wondering the question everyone is wondering but my situation is a bit different since I'm buying in-store. If I'm buying the 5 in-store on a different line that's on our family plan to avoid losing my UDP on my line, can they activate the 5 on my phone without having to activate it on the "dummy" line first?

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Honestly I would advise everyone to activate the phone as normal on the line they bought it under before putting it on the new line just to be safe.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Right. Okay, finally starting to wrap my head around all of this. So then calling them and making the switch before even turning the phone on should be no problem then? That's what I'm starting to think.

You can even do it online before opening the box so you won't need a new sim.

It's funny that people do not believe it works. Do you think they stopped selling phones after they announced that subsidizing would delete your UDP. It has been done before many times.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You can even do it online before opening the box so you won't need a new sim.

It's funny that people do not believe it works. Do you think they stopped selling phones after they announced that subsidizing would delete your UDP. It has been done before many times.

Ah, see, this is what I was looking for all along. Friday will be crazy for me, so I need to this as fast as possible. I'll look around the online tools first and if it seems to complicated (or if there's not a way to cancel the 2GB dataplan on the dumb phone line) then I'll just call.

The key is not to activate it before calling, otherwise the extra step of getting a new SIM is needed. Thanks man.

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
i just spoke with someone. if you ordered the phone on a different line from the one you want to activate it on, you will need to go to a verizon store and get a new 4g micro sim card, because the other one is going to be linked to that line. she also said i would have to activate it on that line before activating it on my own, and that my unlimited data wouldnt be affected, but since i have to go to the store anyway, to just let them do it. while helpful, im pretty bummed. i was hoping to avoid the stores at all costs

toastercookie

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Apparently the new nano sims on Verizon aren't locked to one number like the 4G micro sims they are using in other phones. I was told by a rep (yaknow, grain of salt or whatever) that with the iPhone 5 you can use the online tool to transfer numbers around without needing a new sim for the new number.

SO what that means is that we should be able to get the iP5, activate on the dumb phone line like we've been talking about, and then use the online "swap devices" tool on my verizon to both activate the dumbphone back on its line (yes, you CAN drop the data plan without a problem during this step, I've done it before) and then activate the new iPhone 5 on your line. Shouldn't need to go into a store at all.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and my iPhone will be waiting from me when I get back, so hopefully I'll have lots of stories from you guys in this thread about the best way to go about this. Just giving my 2 cents.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Apparently the new nano sims on Verizon aren't locked to one number like the 4G micro sims they are using in other phones. I was told by a rep (yaknow, grain of salt or whatever) that with the iPhone 5 you can use the online tool to transfer numbers around without needing a new sim for the new number.

SO what that means is that we should be able to get the iP5, activate on the dumb phone line like we've been talking about, and then use the online "swap devices" tool on my verizon to both activate the dumbphone back on its line (yes, you CAN drop the data plan without a problem during this step, I've done it before) and then activate the new iPhone 5 on your line. Shouldn't need to go into a store at all.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and my iPhone will be waiting from me when I get back, so hopefully I'll have lots of stories from you guys in this thread about the best way to go about this. Just giving my 2 cents.

I could have sworn I read a few comments here that warned not to use the online activation or it would in fact mess up your UDP. Anyone have info on this?

toastercookie

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
You can't use it to do the initial activation of the phone. You HAVE to activate your new iP5 on the dumbphone line BEFORE you even touch the UDP line. All of the contract acceptance stuff only happens once you activate the phone initially. If you do the initial activation on your UDP line (in store, online, over the phone, whatever) you will lose UDP.

What you need to do is activate on the dumbphone line then swap, which you can do online without touching your contract AFAIK. I've switched between an iPhone 4S and an Android phone using this tool without a problem, and I'm able to keep unlimited data. If for some reason you aren't, it will tell you, as when you are activating the new phone there is a screen that details plan changes.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
You can't use it to do the initial activation of the phone. You HAVE to activate your new iP5 on the dumbphone line BEFORE you even touch the UDP line. All of the contract acceptance stuff only happens once you activate the phone initially. If you do the initial activation on your UDP line (in store, online, over the phone, whatever) you will lose UDP.

What you need to do is activate on the dumbphone line then swap, which you can do online without touching your contract AFAIK. I've switched between an iPhone 4S and an Android phone using this tool without a problem, and I'm able to keep unlimited data. If for some reason you aren't, it will tell you, as when you are activating the new phone there is a screen that details plan changes.

That first part is what I keep trying to tell people.. and I don't get why it's such a big ordeal to activate on the first line. If you're someone who feels your UDP is worth keeping, then do this simple step and deal with the 10 extra minutes it will take.

I wasn't aware that you could use the online swap after that. That's good to know, if it will in fact allow you to keep your UDP.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just following the developments of this thread is as thrilling as the iPhone will be itself. :p

So I guess the consensus is now that the contract only goes into effect if you activate the iPhone on the dumb phone line FIRST. And the new development is you can use the online tools to swap it from there, because the new sims aren't linked to just one number.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010

Source?

Because not only have I done it, but other people over at HowardForums have done upgrading the lines, typed in the imei to update the line to show the new upgrade then typed in the old imei of the dumbphone then proceeded to activate on the unlimited data plan no problems.

The phone never has to be officially "activated" on the dumb phone line.

But if what VZW says is correct about not having phone numbers tied to the sim, this would make swapping between my android and i5 much easier.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting:

This seems to confirm what we were thinking, Phoenix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 2.24.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 2.24.38 PM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 80

toastercookie

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
"typed in the imei to update the line to show the new upgrade then typed in the old imei of the dumbphone"

What do you mean by this? Could you go voer step by step the process you used?

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
At this rate, I'm just going to wait for a few of you to try it out yourselves come the 21st, and then report back what happened. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.