Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone color has worst stains/scratches? Black or white?

• Black

Votes: 63 73.3%
  • White

Votes: 23 26.7%

• Total voters

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I don't know what kind of stains you expect getting on your phone but...

Black will show scratches more, especially if you nick it, as I'm sure the raw aluminium underneath will be exposed.

White will show dirt buildup easier (especially around the home button), but it is nothing that can't be cleaned.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I don't know what kind of stains you expect getting on your phone but...

Black will show scratches more, especially if you nick it, as I'm sure the raw aluminium underneath will be exposed.

White will show dirt buildup easier (especially around the home button), but it is nothing that can't be cleaned.

Is there no raw aluminium underneath the white as well?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Slate will show silver under the anodized part. Silver hides them much, much better.

472297-333x500.jpg

538047-500x333.jpg

376346-500x333.jpg

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
black slate with black alum/matte band. INSANE. CANT WAIT. I have had white since iphone 4s. The black just imo looked so much better then the white i5. Cant wait to get my black stealth bomber haha.

Last edited:

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I hope those of you answering "black" mean that the black model shows MORE STAINS/SCRATCHES, right? And NOT that black is the best choice..!

Sorry if my question wasn't that clear...

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I hope those of you answering "black" mean that the black model shows MORE STAINS/SCRATCHES, right? And NOT that black is the best choice..!

If the below post is to be any indication, I only think they read part of the thread title:

black slate with black alum/matte band. INSANE. CANT WAIT. I have had white since iphone 4. The black just imo looked so much better then the white i5. Cant wait to get my black stealth bomber haha.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Black will show more scratches/stains/fingerprints/etc. and look worse over time. Big reason I went with white.

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
Black will show more scratches/stains/fingerprints/etc. and look worse over time. Big reason I went with white.

not true. took care of my black iphone 4 before i went 4s for a year and never showed scratches. Well check back a year from now and see whos right lol!!!

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK

I meant the black shows more scratches and stains etc.

I purchased the white, I did have a black 3Gs but the black finish drove me nuts. So it's been white ever since :)

You should do a poll in this thread, insert one above your post

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
This has been discussed to death !

Are people just thinking hmmm what thread topic can I resurrect because a new iPhone is being released !

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Black/Slate shows scratches more prominently.

Silver/White will show stains more prominently.

Either way, blemishes will show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.