Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
So I have a new rMBP and I wanted some fast external storage but DIDN'T want to spend the money on Thunderbolt.

I had an extra Seagate Momentus 750GB HDD (SATA 3.0Gbs/16MB Cache/7200RPM) and a Corsair Force GT SSD that I coupled with a BYTECC HD3-S3U3 USB3.0 External Enclosure and wanted to share the results.

The tests are done with the Blackmagic Disk Speed app, a BASE model 2012 Macbook Pro Retina (2.3/8GB/256GB), 18" USB3.0 cord connected to the BYTEC USB3.0 external enclosure.

1.png

Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD

First Test: Copy/Paste 4.35GB .dmg file to OS to SSD
Time: 19 seconds

Second Test: Disk Speed Test
Write: 225.5 MB/s
Read: 254.2 MB/s

4.png

Seagate Momentus HDD

First Test: Copy/Paste 4.35GB .dmg file to OS to SSD
Time: 39 seconds

Second Test: Disk Speed Test
Write: 112.4 MB/s
Read: 114.1 MB/s

5.png

For ThunderBolt tests check this awesome thread out which inspired my thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1421396/

Last edited:

hypebeastt

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Regarding your bytecc enclosure

I just recently purchased a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC, from amazon, and Im also gonna buy the bytecc enclosure. I wanted to know after installing the ssd into the enclosure what do i need to do after that, do i just plug and play or are they any apps or I need to buy or any formatting or other steps needed to ensure proper usage. Thank you so much for any help.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I just recently purchased a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC, from amazon, and Im also gonna buy the bytecc enclosure. I wanted to know after installing the ssd into the enclosure what do i need to do after that, do i just plug and play or are they any apps or I need to buy or any formatting or other steps needed to ensure proper usage. Thank you so much for any help.

Just format it to whatever format you wish. Mine were HFS+

hypebeastt

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Just format it to whatever format you wish. Mine were HFS+

Thank you,
I was also wondering what are your thoughts on the bytecc external enclosure, are they any other alternaltives to it that can also do SATA III, and also could you help me figure out what to do if I wanna do both Time Machina and use it as an external drive too.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Thank you,
I was also wondering what are your thoughts on the bytecc external enclosure, are they any other alternaltives to it that can also do SATA III, and also could you help me figure out what to do if I wanna do both Time Machina and use it as an external drive too.

I like the bytecc enclosure, here are others that are SATAIII http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...26,542:50688&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

Just partition the hard drive with two partitions, one for data and one for time machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.