Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
iPhone 4S relocked

I'm not sure how many people are experiencing this, but I was successfully unlocked within the 12-24 hour time frame. After doing a restore, it seems to be relocked for some odd reason. When I put in a t-mobile sim, it said it was an incompatible sim card.

I thought it was not suppose to be relocked!

Emailed seller and seeing if it can be re-unlocked again. It would suck to have it working in the States and later on find out that it doesn't work cause its still locked. :confused:

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I'm not sure how many people are experiencing this, but I was successfully unlocked within the 12-24 hour time frame. After doing a restore, it seems to be relocked for some odd reason. When I put in a t-mobile sim, it said it was an incompatible sim card.

Emailed seller and seeing if it can be re-unlocked again. It would suck to have it working in the States and later on find out that it doesn't work cause its still locked. :confused:

Does anyone know how this works? How are these sellers getting this pushed into the system (which I believe, since it comes through iTunes HAS to be through Apple)

Why can they do this?? Anybody know?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Did you do a restore as "New" or just restore your backup?

1. Backup the iPhone ( use iTunes or iCloud ) / to keep all passwords / network settings us an encrypted back ( password is required ).
2. Restore as New or or use Erase all Settings and Data on iPhone
3. Restore from Backup.

iPhone should now be unlocked. You can also check the Apple status using this site: http://iphoneox.com/

Dave

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012

Which seller did you use?

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
What time did you submit it? And yesterday as in Saturday? How long did it take for you to get the email? They usually don't process them on weekends according to their eBay listing, but hopefully that's not the case since I ordered mine around 8:15 PST last night from unlock fusion.

I submitted at 5:35pm Saturday and received an email at 11:30am today saying my unlock was completed and to restore via iTunes. Did that and got the unlocked message. I'm in contract with AT&T until October 2013 and tried many times to get it unlocked through AT&T to no avail.

----------

Which seller did you use?

Based on his replies to me I'm sure he used unlock fusion. They're the cheapest working solution IMO.

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I submitted at 5:35pm Saturday and received an email at 11:30am today saying my unlock was completed and to restore via iTunes. Did that and got the unlocked message. I'm in contract with AT&T until October 2013 and tried many times to get it unlocked through AT&T to no avail.

----------

Based on his replies to me I'm sure he used unlock fusion. They're the cheapest working solution IMO.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to me. It's been 21 hours since I ordered my unlock from unlock fusion (8:16 PM PST), but then again, it's the weekend, and he supposedly doesn't process them on the weekend. Time to pray to the unlocking gods that I get unlocked and that it's permanent. :eek:

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I just used a seller named korter_gsm a few days ago for my brother's 4s that AT&T won't unlock. It took about a day and cost only $10 and I didn't even restore it. We are visiting the uk and he's been using a 3 sim with no probs.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Another unlock fusion customer here. Worked perfectly for my 4s. Doing a full restore first is the secret!! Yay! :D

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Did you do a restore as "New" or just restore your backup?

iPhone should now be unlocked. You can also check the Apple status using this site: http://iphoneox.com/

Dave

Yup, tried normal restore, restore to backup, restore as new, DFU restore. Tired it on my MBA, MBP and a Win 7 pc.

All returns the same result. Works only with my ATT sim. I know my t-mobile sim works cause it worked perfectly fine after receiving the "your phone is unlocked" email. Just wish it would last longer.

http://iphoneox.com/ says my phone is locked.

Still awaiting for a reply email from unlock_fusion. It's Monday so i'm expecting a response today. I just hope it wasn't processed properly by ATT and that they can redo my unlock.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Is there a way to make sure the phone is unlocked without a tmobile sim? I bought an unlock sat night and got it yesterday but I don't have a tmobile sim to check. I unlocked it to sell for more when my 5 shows up.

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Is there a way to make sure the phone is unlocked without a tmobile sim? I bought an unlock sat night and got it yesterday but I don't have a tmobile sim to check. I unlocked it to sell for more when my 5 shows up.

When you restore and connect your phone to itunes to activate, after it activates, you should received a message like "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked!"

It showed me that when I activated the phone through itunes with my ATT sim, at least when it worked it did.

----------

Dave

If you could help me, this is what I get when I check my phone:

Device IMEI: 0130060xxxxxxxx
Product description: iPhone 4S 16GB White
Telephone technical support: Active
Telephone support expiration date: November 7, 2013
Warranty(repairs and service coverage): Active (limits apply)
Warranty expiration date: November 7, 2013
Activation status: Activated
Is registered: Yes
Sim lock status: Locked Unlock your iPhone

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I just unlocked mine using unlock_fusion and i am wondering: Does this method of "factory" unlocking the phone void any warranty like applecare or applecare+?

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I just unlocked mine using unlock_fusion and i am wondering: Does this method of "factory" unlocking the phone void any warranty like applecare or applecare+?

No it doesn't. If you need to get your iPhone replaced, Apple should replace your phone with a factory unlocked one.

----------

When you restore and connect your phone to itunes to activate, after it activates, you should received a message like "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked!"

It showed me that when I activated the phone through itunes with my ATT sim, at least when it worked it did.

----------

If you could help me, this is what I get when I check my phone:

Device IMEI: 0130060xxxxxxxx
Product description: iPhone 4S 16GB White
Telephone technical support: Active
Telephone support expiration date: November 7, 2013
Warranty(repairs and service coverage): Active (limits apply)
Warranty expiration date: November 7, 2013
Activation status: Activated
Is registered: Yes
Sim lock status: Locked Unlock your iPhone

Did he reply yet? If he did, what'd he say? If he didn't, keep us updated please. If he really doesn't reply, just resort to opening a dispute with him on Paypal. I just got my unlock from unlock fusion today with the Congratz message from iTunes both times I deactivated and connected it to iTunes, but the websites still say that I'm locked. My SIM doesn't come in until tmrw or Thursday, so I'm scared that it'll lock back up before I even get a chance to use it as a phone.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
My 4S is now factory unlocked thanks to Unlock_Fusion on ebay. I had no problems at all. I even restored to the iOS6 GM and it is still unlocked. I'm so glad I found this thread!

projectone

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
Did he reply yet?

No he didn't. I went with someone else. And it got unlocked within 5 minutes.

Doing a dispute as the phone got relocked when it has it in bold "100% permanent."

I think I was one of the very few that got relocked. So you are probably fine.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
So let me get this straight. If I get my iPhone 4 unlocked via AT&T or other sources I can reset the phone to factory settings and the phone remains unlocked?

I am trying to list my iPhone on eBay as unlocked so I can get a little more money in my pocket. Any help would be appreciated.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
The way I understand it you're essentially paying for someone to add your IMEI to a "white list" allowing it to be unlocked... As I understand these are maybe AT&T employees looking to make a little $$ on the side?

If so, then it's probably not a good idea to post about this too often. If they are AT&T employees and access the database through their laptops, and one of their supervisors just happens to read these forums, those employees are quickly SOL. They might also face charges if AT&T can drum some up...

You might say.. how could they trace them, right? Well you did all just post pretty close to the time/date when your IMEI numbers were added to the database so that gives them a great running start. Some of you even mentioned the specific models. If there are a couple of people adding all these entries, you've just toasted them.

So might be a good idea to stay hush hush, before more identifiable information is leaked out...

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I really doubt its employees. there are tons of shops and online places that both do it. in fact I am sure of it

Tons of shops and online places have write access to AT&T's internal IMEI database? Really. Think about what you are saying...

Even if they aren't employees, there is enough ammo in this thread (times, dates, models) to give any AT&T Fraud watch employee something to work with...

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
No he didn't. I went with someone else. And it got unlocked within 5 minutes.

Doing a dispute as the phone got relocked when it has it in bold "100% permanent."

I think I was one of the very few that got relocked. So you are probably fine.

Hopefully I'm safe. I can't really test if I'm unlocked or not yet since my micro SIM didn't come in yet. But I've deactivated and connected to iTunes 4 times since I was unlocked yesterday and I'm still getting the Congratz message. I think I should be fine cause I'm pretty sure getting the message from iTunes is more accurate than the IMEI check websites that still say I'm locked when I clearly get the message from iTunes.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I sent my request for unlock yesterday at 5 pm and they sent me a email that my phone was unlocked at 1pm today. Had the congrats message when I completed the restore process.

They say it's permanently unlocked, but my luck it will go back to being locked when I update the firmware.

It's def worth the 10 bucks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.