Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Will there be a car charger available anywhere on Friday?

I don't see anything at all on Apple's site.

On Verizon's site, all they have is a DC charger with USB ports... so you could use the cable that comes with the phone I guess. Or order a new one for $20, but that says ships in 2-3 weeks...

But what about a separate car charger? Or at least a separate cable that I could use with the USB car charger?

I really don't want to have the hassle of bringing my only cable to and from the car every time...

I'm also not spending $30 on an adapter. Screw that. I'd rather just spend that $30 on an actual car charger.

Has anyone seen anything yet?? :confused:

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Will there be a car charger available anywhere on Friday?

I don't see anything at all on Apple's site.

On Verizon's site, all they have is a DC charger with USB ports... so you could use the cable that comes with the phone I guess. Or order a new one for $20, but that says ships in 2-3 weeks...

But what about a separate car charger? Or at least a separate cable that I could use with the USB car charger?

I really don't want to have the hassle of bringing my only cable to and from the car every time...

I'm also not spending $30 on an adapter. Screw that. I'd rather just spend that $30 on an actual car charger.

Has anyone seen anything yet?? :confused:

won't be anything available for at least 4 weeks i guess.

I have bought the Apple Lightning-to-Micro-USB adaptor and will use that with a micro USB cable and USB in-car charger.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
One end of the new cable appears to be USB that goes into the charger. Many care chargers have a USB plug as well. That will do a hold over.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
One end of the new cable appears to be USB that goes into the charger. Many care chargers have a USB plug as well. That will do a hold over.

I feel like you didn't read my post... That is not helpful if I can't even obtain an additional cable.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yeah this is pretty much the same thing Verizon is selling... but, again... not helpful without a second cable :(

I don't want to keep bringing one single cable back and forth between my bedroom and 2 cars.

Looks like I'll be without a car charger for a few weeks I guess...

I'll buy a second cable for now and carry it around. When some 3rd party stuff is released for cheaper, I'll buy a few more. But I learned a while back that these modular style car chargers are by far better than all-in-ones.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I'll buy a second cable for now and carry it around. When some 3rd party stuff is released for cheaper, I'll buy a few more. But I learned a while back that these modular style car chargers are by far better than all-in-ones.

How can you buy a second cable if they are not available...?

This is my problem, which everyone seems to be ignoring, lol... :D

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
How can you buy a second cable if they are not available...?

This is my problem, which everyone seems to be ignoring, lol... :D

i thought i answered you when I said I'm getting a micro USB adaptor and will be using that with a micro USB cable.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
i thought i answered you when I said I'm getting a micro USB adaptor and will be using that with a micro USB cable.

And where do you obtain this? I've not seen a Lightining-to-microUSB cable, and there is nothing on Apple's site... They only list the regular USB, and it won't be shipping until next month.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
If you don't want to wait a few weeks just buy an extra cable for $20...if thats "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't have an iPhone anyways.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
If you have other accessories it makes sense to order an adapter. Cheapest way to continue to use all your existing accessories.

daydayvol

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I use a USB adapter. Plug my cable into it and then plug the adapter into the cig lighter. I also have a USB connection in my car to sync the iPhone up.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
If you don't want to wait a few weeks just buy an extra cable for $20...if thats "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't have an iPhone anyways.

He doesn't mind the price, just the 2-3 week wait.

The only advice I can give is to check at Best Buy, Wal Mart, AT&T, etc. on launch day to see if they might have a spare cable in stock. I usually just charge my phone at night, so it won't be a problem for me to wait until Monoprice has them for a couple of dollars...then, I will pick up a few.

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
And where do you obtain this? I've not seen a Lightining-to-microUSB cable, and there is nothing on Apple's site... They only list the regular USB, and it won't be shipping until next month.

actually, good point, I'm in the UK and they're available here as part of the EU directive to support micro USB, I checked the US store and no sign of them!

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

Uh... What are you talking about? Did you even "read" this thread? Clearly not. If reading before posting is "too much" or "unreasonable" then you probably shouldn't be on an internet forum anyway.

Thank you for your oh-so-useful input.

----------

He doesn't mind the price, just the 2-3 week wait.

The only advice I can give is to check at Best Buy, Wal Mart, AT&T, etc. on launch day to see if they might have a spare cable in stock. I usually just charge my phone at night, so it won't be a problem for me to wait until Monoprice has them for a couple of dollars...then, I will pick up a few.

Yeah I don't care how much they cost, I just don't want to wait. I charge my phone every night too, so it's 100% when I leave in the morning. But depending how much I use it during the day at work, I may like to charge it on the drive home. I often have not-so-good reception in this building, so sometimes my phone puts a lot of effort into getting/sending data (no wifi here), which really takes its toll on battery life.

----------

actually, good point, I'm in the UK and they're available here as part of the EU directive to support micro USB, I checked the US store and no sign of them!

Hmm that's weird... just saw that after doing some research. They should make those available here in the U.S. too! Sheesh :apple:... :p

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
I ended up getting a Scoche ReVolt C2 dual USB charger. It barely sticks out of a cigarette lighter, I'll just use the supplied USB-Lightning cable for now until some decent third party cables hit the market. My wife still wants a one piece solution, but we may be waiting on that for a while.

scosche_usbc202m_v4.jpg

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I had an iPod/iPhone car kit put my car a few years back. It includes a fixed cable that's attached to the AUX IN at the back of my car's stereo. Obviously, I'll have to get that changed out.

I called the shop that installed it, and they'll do the labor for free (it won't take much time, but it's still a nice perk), so I'll only have to pay for the new cable.

The problem? Not only can they not order the new lightning to AUX cable yet, they don't even have pricing, or a time estimate. :( Looks like I'll be listening to CDs or (gasp) even the radio for at least a few weeks. It's going to turn into a race between the lightning/30 pin connector, and the new lightning/aux cable.

holyindian

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Will this work with the iPhone 5?

They will release one soon. Just check back later on youtube for iphone 5 led cables.

----------

I ended up getting a Scoche ReVolt C2 dual USB charger. It barely sticks out of a cigarette lighter, I'll just use the supplied USB-Lightning cable for now until some decent third party cables hit the market. My wife still wants a one piece solution, but we may be waiting on that for a while.

Can you please provide a link to that model of the usb charger... preferably US seller.
A google search throws up multiple models by the same brand.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

I like it, but how do you take it out...? Looks nearly impossible :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.