Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
They call those scuffs in the picture? You can't even see them. Not going to worry about such silly things.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Black anything will show more... scratches, fingerprints, blemishes, etc. This really isn't anything we need a review to tell us. Ever owned a black car, shoe, desk, toilet, etc?

ctc799

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
USA
I find it interesting only one website has pointed this out. Perhaps this particular reviewer is using the phone in some sort of strange way?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Only this review, out of all reviews, is saying this. I'm honestly not worried about this. Is not Apple like to do something like this.

----------

I find it interesting only one website has pointed this out. Perhaps this particular reviewer is using the phone in some sort of strange way?

Beat me to it!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
They call those scuffs in the picture? You can't even see them. Not going to worry about such silly things.

More like half pipe grinds.

Reminds me of light leak on the 3G

apple-iphone-5-phone-review-9.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good grief it's ONE review. Can we wait a while before we start a "scuff gate"? :rolleyes:

pittman87

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
More like half pipe grinds.

Reminds me of light leak on the 3G

That doesn't look like scuffing from "normal" usage. The aluminum band looks damaged towards the top along with the chamfered edge. It looks like it might've been knocked against something. Definitely not from sliding in and out of a pocket.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Scuff Gate (black model started to wear side/back)

Any details or reviews relating to this topic or the fact that isn't true can be enter here.

Quoted from Pocket-Lint's review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review
apple-iphone-5-phone-review-9.jpg

"Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice."

[MOD NOTE]
Added poll by request

Last edited by a moderator:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Any details or reviews relating to this topic or the fact that isn't true can be enter here.

How could it possibly be true, the phone isn't even out yet. Do yo really think the reviewers have been spending their time trying to rub th black off? Puleeeeze

Aston.Zagato

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
"Scuff Gate"?? Really? Another, so-called ":apple:-gate?

The phone hasn't even been released to the public and people are talking about scuffing... I have to see it myself to believe it

I'll wait till I get my phone before jumping to any conclusions

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Wow...

These things are supposed to be anodized.

It depends on how well anodized it is, and how thick the anodized layer is.

Case in point: I have a couple of mil-spec flashlights that are anodized black. They've been run over by cars, knocked into countless places, smacked hard against rocks and against other pieces of metal, and they still look good as new. The anodization on them is extra thick, and the only exposed aluminum are the parts where the manufacturer etched the model and serial numbers at the factory. And even then, they had to etch so deep that you can feel the sunken-in lettering when you rub your fingers across it.

Then again, these are the type of flashlights that you pay a lot of money for, but you only buy once. If something goes wrong them, even as the result of abuse, they WILL get replaced free of charge.

I was kinda hoping Apple took it to the same level, and got a black one. However... I'm really not seeing the obvious scuffing in those photos. So, I guess only time will tell.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Yes. I just checked the website.

Which one are you guys going to get and why? Thanks.

Hi-Definition (Advanced Clarity and Glass-like Surface)
EXTREME (Break Protection and Shock Resistance)
Original (Military-Grade Scratch Protection)
Smudge-Proof (Fingerprint Resistance)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

The phone hasn't even been released to the public and people are talking about scuffing... I have to see it myself to believe it

It was bound to happen..... People just love finding these gate issues ever since the antenna FUD.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Which one are you guys going to get and why? Thanks.

Hi-Definition (Advanced Clarity and Glass-like Surface)
EXTREME (Break Protection and Shock Resistance)
Original (Military-Grade Scratch Protection)
Smudge-Proof (Fingerprint Resistance)

I'm torn betweet Hi-Definition and EXTREME. I want the protection of the EXTREME one but the clarity and feel of the High-Definition. :confused:

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

lets hope just its one bad apple (per say):apple:

I'm just looking for some more details on this to prove it is or isn't a real issue.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Figures, its just a crappy job anodizing the aluminum. I really hope this isn't true, but I kind of had a feeling something like this would happen. .

measel

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
*hand on head* Keep in mind, All those reviews are based on pre-production units! I seriously DOUBT that Apple would sell sub quality product like that. Anodized metal are HARD to rub off because those are chemical treated. I know because I work with anodized metal in shops. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.