Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
My professor was telling us today how sleeping next to your mobile phone while it charges is bad for you...I've slept next to my iPhone for years and was wondering if there was any truth to this?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
It's probably the same basic theory as talking a lot on your phone is bad for you too. Wireless signals emit a small amount of radiation, but you'd have to be exposed to it for a LONG time before anything really happens.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My professor was telling us today how sleeping next to your mobile phone while it charges is bad for you...I've slept next to my iPhone for years and was wondering if there was any truth to this?

I think the "for years" is your answer.

I have my iPhone, iPad and Kindle chargers set up on my headboard (it's a book case headboard). So I sure hope it's not an issue!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's probably the same basic theory as talking a lot on your phone is bad for you too. Wireless signals emit a small amount of radiation, but you'd have to be exposed to it for a LONG time before anything really happens.

Wireless signals ARE radiation.

The rest is valid though :)

THE BG 86

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I've thought about this before.. I hope not as it's been charging right next to me for years..

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Your professor is assuming you aren't using iOS6's sleep mode. He read a study somewhere that stated sleeping with your iphone next to bed causes you to not get a restful sleep because you are constantly getting mail and other notifications all night. It has nothing to do with radiation, it's all about the disturbance.

itsaustinh

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
I've heard that the temtptation of using the devices throughout the night and disturbing sleep patterns can be bad for you, but I don't think sleeping near the devices will do any harm. unless you have them all surrounding your head I don't think there's anything to worry about lol

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Charging doesn't make a difference. The cellular signals are still bouncing into your DNA.

I keep my phone on the other side of the room when I sleep. Helps to wake up with alarm anyway.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
When you say "next to you" at night, do you mean in the bed or on a table. In the bed is not healthy and will likely affect your chance of reproducing.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It's certainly plausible, but one has to evaluate the risks in his life and measure out what is and is not worth dedicating synapses to worrying about.

FWIW, I'd say we ought to be more concerned about whether we wear bicycle helmets, if we text while driving, how much alcohol/cigarettes we consume, or how much absolute and utter CRAP labeled as "food" we shovel down our gullets each and every day.

Those are the things worth worrying about.

Peace out,
Will

:apple::apple::apple:

Reactions: Cayden and ohio.emt

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Just use common sense, the jury's still out about whether or not EMR from all these cellphones are causing damage to our bodies.

I wouldn't sleep with the phone right next to my ear, but if it's sitting on a table next to your bed that should be fine. EMR decreases exponentially as distance increases, so the farther away you keep your phone, the less energy you're exposed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.