Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
"Scuff-Gate"

Any details or reviews relating to this topic or the fact that isn't true can be enter here.

One bit of advice. While I obviously have no direct evidence to confirm or refute the findings in the review about scuffing, I suggest that the "-gate" suffix got a bit old in, say, 1975 the first time someone thought they were being clever.

A phone that scuffs with use isn't exactly at the same level of seriousness as a president spying on his political rivals using illegal means.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
MG Siegler tweeted to Arn that the scuffing was a non issue for him, and he kept the phone in his pocket a lot.

I suspect the reviewer may have had other things (coins/keys) in the pocket as well. I had scuffs/marks on my 4/4S due to the same things.

I also suspect (like Arn) that bumpers/side-protectors will be a hot selling item thanks to these concerns.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I haven't decided on a case because I figured I wait a bit until some better ones are out yet.. invisible shield is good option to protect it. I can't imagine they didn't know this in testing unless this like the rMBP were most were good but there were a few bad displays mixed in.

I like the bumpers because they protect it without covering in up. Even when you set it down it keeps it just a little bit off whatever you set it down on to protect it.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I think the real problem here is that thanks to Nixon, we have a suffix for every problem ever.

What if the office complex, instead of Watergate, was called Blueberry Office Complex.

Then this would be ScuffBerry, which sounds way better.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Is it the same surface treatment as the iPod Nano? Because I have the 6th gen of that and I toss that thing all over the place. It gets thrown in my purse with my car keys, I've dropped it a cabillion times, and there's not a scratch on it - still pink and lovely!

Mine's got scratches, but I don't actually begrudge it that. IT was from when my dog decided she wanted to play with another dog, almost jerked me off my feet, and her leash caught on the headphone cord and yanked my nano off and dragged it along the pavement. I had that nano for a week when that happened *sigh*. Before that I was loving to just look at it cause it was so unbelievable to me how small it was and then after that I couldn't anymore cause it bugged me too much to see those scratches. It still annoys me to a small extent (to the point that I have gotten over it but if I got a new one I'd be so happy to be rid of those scratches. I can't really afford a new one though and it works fine so I deal).

Other than that, it does actually have the edges worn but for anodized aluminum it has done pretty well and the edges aren't that noticeable except I just looked to see ;) (and I've had it since almost the first 6th gen nano came out so it's pretty old).

pittman87

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Am I missing something? I didn't read anywhere in that review where it said the back aluminum plate was scuffing, just the chamfered edges. Which based on the picture in the OP looks like it was banged against something. Take care of your investments people and you won't have to worry about these things.

wutang61

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
put it in a case. that simple. mines going into a defender. so i could care less.

BUT then noe one knowz you does hav ifone fiv. life is not worth living. :eek:

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Even still, what will it look like in a few weeks/months in and out of your pocket?

well, i use all my stuff in a case, with maximum zagg under the case, so I hopefully wont have an issue with it, but as for the sand, that is the only thing i can thing of that can easily scratch off anodizing finish.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
One bit of advice. While I obviously have no direct evidence to confirm or refute the findings in the review about scuffing, I suggest that the "-gate" suffix got a bit old in, say, 1975 the first time someone thought they were being clever.

A phone that scuffs with use isn't exactly at the same level of seriousness as a president spying on his political rivals using illegal means.

Thank you... I think you put in words why it annoys me so much people keep insisting on putting -gate after every apple "controversy" (I just couldn't quite put my finger on exactly why it peeves me so much). And I agree, it got old a lot longer than this, I just decided not to say it (I did and then erased it in my first reply).

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
well, i use all my stuff in a case, with maximum zagg under the case, so I hopefully wont have an issue with it, but as for the sand, that is the only thing i can thing of that can easily scratch off anodizing finish.

Oh true, I NEVER use a case, unless I need waterproofing I use my lifeproof but that is it. It's always naked. That's why it concerns me.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
If they had only thrown a layer of gloss over it like the 6g nano... That would make it harder to scratch

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I can't ever get these things on right.

See if there is a kiosk for on at your local mall. My local mall has a Ghost Armor kiosk and they put it on perfectly. I plan on getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides).

InvisibleShield.

I prefer GhostArmor, but nonetheless, I will be doing this and getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides). Aluminum scuff issue = not a problem anymore.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Mine's got scratches, but I don't actually begrudge it that. IT was from when my dog decided she wanted to play with another dog, almost jerked me off my feet, and her leash caught on the headphone cord and yanked my nano off and dragged it along the pavement. I had that nano for a week when that happened *sigh*. Before that I was loving to just look at it cause it was so unbelievable to me how small it was and then after that I couldn't anymore cause it bugged me too much to see those scratches. It still annoys me to a small extent (to the point that I have gotten over it but if I got a new one I'd be so happy to be rid of those scratches. I can't really afford a new one though and it works fine so I deal).

Other than that, it does actually have the edges worn but for anodized aluminum it has done pretty well and the edges aren't that noticeable except I just looked to see ;) (and I've had it since almost the first 6th gen nano came out so it's pretty old).

I got mine day 1 - thought it was too cute to pass up.

I just put on my reading glasses and found a tiny nick on one side... but no worn edges. I'm way more careful with my phone than I am with the Nano, so I think all will be well!

TheSlimOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Seems to me that if you treat something like its worth $600 it tends to stay looking sharp.

I guess I try and take care of the things that I pay for. I suppose I am unusual?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
See if there is a kiosk for on at your local mall. My local mall has a Ghost Armor kiosk and they put it on perfectly. I plan on getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides).

I prefer GhostArmor, but nonetheless, I will be doing this and getting the full body coverage (front, back, and sides). Aluminum scuff issue = not a problem anymore.

Excellent suggestion - thanks!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
There's a certain comfort in denial that's very appealing to some.

Fortunately I'm not one of them.

As much as I like & prefer my Apple gear, I'm no shill for them :)

My problem is with "antennagate", it was clearly shown that every phone displays signal loss when you cover the antenna. With the 4's antenna being external, it did make the loss worse. But, it wasn't an issue exclusive to the iPhone. There were even complaints of signal loss when the 3GS came out. The only reason why the 4's became such a huge deal was because of the focus on the new antenna design and Steve Jobs famous quote.

With the 4S, we had "yellowgate" which seems to come up every time a new iOS device comes out. iPad, iPhone, etc. "OMG Apple changed the tint to a warmer hue!!!!". Original to 3G, 3G to 3GS, 3GS to 4, and 4 to 4S have had people complain about yellow screens. Yet our eyes get use to the warmer hue and we can't tell anymore. Or the glue finally dried.

It's not about denial or Apple is perfect. Apple has had some quality issues( titanium powerbook G4 comes to mind), but this constant search for the new "gate" is ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.