Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Using every rules 75x75 and less then 29.3 KB my avatar still shows up as an X on my tablet, iPhone and PC. I've tried uploading and hosting from MR....

Any help?

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Actually, scratch that (not the thanks but the "it's working"). It seems to be displaying on tapatalk but not on the web.

I'll just wait it out though. I don't know how these things work, lol.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
So anyone else knows what I mean

utu9una4.jpg

amu5unym.jpg

ade8uzy2.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's been taking a while to work. But I found, just yesterday, that if you remove your avatar completely, and leave it that way overnight, then upload in the morning, it works just fine. This gives the servers time to clear their cache and properly replicate the avatar.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I did a forum search on this and it's nice to find a thread from today.

I just received the ability to use an Avatar and it shows up when I click on my user name but it's a "Question Mark" when I view my posts. I've tried a few, going to wait this one out to see what happens.

The fact that it takes awhile - noted! Thanks for the information in this thread.

EDIT: Oh, haha, it popped up! Magic touch I guess.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I just received the ability to use an Avatar and it shows up when I click on my user name but it's a "Question Mark" when I view my posts. I've tried a few, going to wait this one out to see what happens.

Welcom to the club, I just joined as well! :D

But besides popping up right away, my avatar seems really blurry, the colors differ too (compared to what I see in PS or when clicking into my MRprofile).

Any ideas how to get a sharper pic?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

But besides popping up right away, my avatar seems really blurry, the colors differ too (compared to what I see in PS or when clicking into my MRprofile).

It's not as sharp as it is as a file on your computer? It does look blurry. Not sure if it would downgrade the quality before telling you that the imagine is too large (data size wise) or something.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

What file format did you create it in?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
jpeg with 99x99 pixel and about 28kb

edit: first I tried with 75x75 but that was even worse

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Right on the 'Edit Avatar' page at the bottom it says this:

Try setting yours to those specs and see if that helps.

Interesting, I have this shown up:

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Maybe you have more size available as a contributor?? But as I wrote, I tried 75x75 and now ~29KB both being blurry. Seems I have to try out some more..darn, thought there would be an easy solution.
But jpeg should generally be fine, or?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Thank's everybody.

I'll try(-ied) that Comeagain?..but there's a big difference between e.g. saturation in profile pic and the regular one - not to mention what I see in Preview or PS.
Even changed to black/white, but seems like it doesn't work. Strange thing is that it popped up right away when first uploaded and then stays the same even when I change something..never did an 'tar before seems to be more of a science than I thought. :(

Edit: sorry, just saw this. hope that'll help
But I found, just yesterday, that if you remove your avatar completely, and leave it that way overnight, then upload in the morning, it works just fine. This gives the servers time to clear their cache and properly replicate the avatar.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank's everybody.

I'll try(-ied) that Comeagain?..but there's a big difference between e.g. saturation in profile pic and the regular one - not to mention what I see in Preview or PS.
Even changed to black/white, but seems like it doesn't work. Strange thing is that it popped up right away when first uploaded and then stays the same even when I change something..never did an 'tar before seems to be more of a science than I thought. :(

Edit: sorry, just saw this. hope that'll help

I'd try all that above, plus changing the format to .png and seeing how that goes. Really, loading an avatar is quite simple and shouldn't cause this much trouble.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
sorry for being too stupid to manage such an easy thing as uploading a simple gif-avatar, BUT I still don't understand why the uploaded image [coloured - as one can see by clicking on my profile] is shown in b&w[as you can see on the left] :confused: very mysterious I have to say.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
sorry for being too stupid to manage such an easy thing as uploading a simple gif-avatar, BUT I still don't understand why the uploaded image [coloured - as one can see by clicking on my profile] is shown in b&w[as you can see on the left] :confused: very mysterious I have to say.

Leave it for a few days, and see how it goes. Lately it's been taking a while to fully do it's thing.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Leave it for a few days, and see how it goes. Lately it's been taking a while to fully do it's thing.

wow, that was a quick replie. thank's again SandboxGeneral (love that name btw).
not that it bothers me much, as long as it ain't blurry as it was before. just quite curious....

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
just a little update:

oddly my avatear switches quite randomly from colourful to b&w and back to coloured...kind of like it that. You'll never know how it will look like the next morning. If one would ask me, it could stay that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.