Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 5 does not officially launch until Friday, but pre-orders are clearly continuing to roll in through Apple's online store as the company has now bumped shipping estimates for new pre-orders to 3-4 weeks. Apple sold out of its launch day pre-order stock in just about an hour last Friday, with shipping estimates quickly moving to two weeks and then drifting to 2-3 weeks, where they have been for the past few days.

iphone_5_ship_3_4_weeks.jpg

The new 3-4 week estimates are in place in the United States, Canada, and Australia, while several other launch markets including the United Kingdom, France, and Germany remain at 2-3 weeks for the time being. Accounting for shipping time, the new estimates suggest that those placing orders today may not receive their devices until mid-October.

Not only are Apple's lengthening shipping estimates coming before the first round of launches in nine countries this Friday, but the new pre-orders are being pushed well past Apple's second round of launches set to take place in 22 more countries and on additional carriers in some of the first-round markets on September 28. Apple will undoubtedly be reserving some stock for launch availability in the new countries and is of course holding stock for in-store sales beginning this Friday as it rolls out availability, but online orders are now seeing even more substantial delays for the popular device that saw two million pre-orders in just the first 24 hours of availability.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for New iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Through Apple Slip to 3-4 Weeks

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Oh boy, are we in for iPhone 4 like lines again in Malls?

I really hope I can still grab one on Friday!

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Well I'm glad I've at least got an October 5th date secured for now... still going to check out AT&T, Walmart, and Radio Shack this Friday and see if I can get lucky :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't understand - I read over and over on this forum that it was disappointing, boring, and a minor update. Seems strange that so many people would pre-order such a disappointment.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I remember preordering the iPhone on June of 2010 and getting it in mid-August.
Let's hope that doesn't happen again.
(Although I did preorder when the availability was 2 weeks)

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
So apparently the iPhone 5 is a huge disappointment, and no one is going to buy it.

I don't think anyone ever doubted Apple would sell millions immediately. I think the concern is that Apple has stopped "innovating." The big innovations were (1) iPhone, (2) iPhone4. Everything else has been, more or less, an evolution of a great idea and/or adaptation of a feature almost every other smartphone has.

But as others have noted, at a certain point you don't just switch everything up just for the sake of doing so. For most luxury brands (Rolex, Rolls Royce, etc.), the models change little by little over the years.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Ugh...alright, we get it. This is becoming the new "Steve Jobs would have never allowed this" comment. Please...stop...this...now.

Steve Jobs would have never allowed Tim Cook to blend Safari being faster and the iPhone 5 being a disappointment.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
it would be funny to later find out that the orders are the same as normal they just change the expected shipping to cause hype haha! good idea though!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
it would be funny to later find out that the orders are the same as normal they just change the expected shipping to cause hype haha! good idea though!

Yeah that's a great sales strategy. Turn people away by making them think the product is unavailable. Brilliant.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

They could probably get away with raising the prices by increasing the market value of an iPhone 5 by selling less of them. Value = demand/supply, roughly.

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
4 weeks! :eek: That's like buying something from China on eBay.
Seriously! I'm just going to wait out the initial hipster hype. I don't care if I'm the first to get the phone. I'll gladly wait a month until I can walk into a store and buy it on the spot. It's less stressful that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.