Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah that's a great sales strategy. Turn people away by making them think the product is unavailable. Brilliant.

If I went to the Apple Store and saw that the iPhone 5 was unavailable (which it will be once it comes out), I would just wait for it to be available rather than buying something sub-par like an Android or Windows phone or an older iPhone (which would still be OK).

1goodidea

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
I have a black unlocked 32gb coming on Friday 21st (Sydney, Australia). I may not have a nano sim for a few weeks so it might just stay on the box. Hmmm probably cave in and try and cut down my 3GS sim...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think anyone ever doubted Apple would sell millions immediately. I think the concern is that Apple has stopped "innovating." The big innovations were (1) iPhone, (2) iPhone4. Everything else has been, more or less, an evolution of a great idea and/or adaptation of a feature almost every other smartphone has.

But as others have noted, at a certain point you don't just switch everything up just for the sake of doing so. For most luxury brands (Rolex, Rolls Royce, etc.), the models change little by little over the years.

no, the idea behind the original iphone are still the same as today. pick a few features and polish them. original iphone is was web browser and email. it had the best and only full web browser of it's day. the iphone 5 is photo quality and games along with rolling up loyalty card apps into one

if i ask 100 people on the street what is NFC most wouldn't have any idea. and when i explain it to them most won't care. the vast majority of starbucks gold card holders still use a plastic card even though they have a smartphone and there is an app to use the card. where can i use the NFC in the USA? almost no where? why should i care about it?

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
No reason to pre-order anymore. In 4 weeks you'll be able to walk into the store and get most (if not all) models in-stock. ;)

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Hope The black model does not chip its finish off like some reviews are saying with just regular use , or this will be a issue for all these orders.......

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I am not buying one anyways. Really exited about iOS 6 though. When it comes my 4S will have most of the features that the 5 has (Panorama, better Siri, and turn-by-turn navigation).
The rest of the features of the 5:
All-new design: Who cares?
4 inch display: Nice to see, but not enough to make me want to upgrade.
LTE: Drain your battery faster.
A6: I don't do professional video editing on a phone.
Lighting connector: Prepare to spend $30 on an adapter.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
You wish. LOL
I don't understand. I've been able to do this with the 3G and 4 models why would this launch be any different? If anything Apple's been doing a much better job with anticipating sales (e.g. The New iPad.) ;)

exars

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I completed my preorder from Verizon in the first 10 minutes it was available, and noticed today they pushed my ship date back to 10/5. Damn Apple preorder site not working correctly on multiple-device carrier changes, had to go through the carrier site!

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I think it's safe to say that something arriving 3-4 weeks after release is no longer a "Pre-Order."

It is an order. More specifically, an out-of-stock product that is backordered.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I completed my preorder from Verizon in the first 10 minutes it was available, and noticed today they pushed my ship date back to 10/5. Damn Apple preorder site not working correctly on multiple-device carrier changes, had to go through the carrier site!

I feel your pain, same boat. I pre ordered at best buy as a backup in case something fishy happened with the online order. I was the first one there but it all comes down to them getting Verizon phones. My mindset is I have to line up so no worries. I'll do what I done many times before.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
It will be a 4-5 week delay by Friday.

All of the reviews came out today and so there is a whole new flood of pre-orders coming in. And then the new countries being able to order is just going to compound the problem.

It seriously could get delayed to even 6 weeks (a month and a half!) by next week!

Holy crap!

Ethan

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I am not buying one anyways. Really exited about iOS 6 though. When it comes my 4S will have most of the features that the 5 has (Panorama, better Siri, and turn-by-turn navigation).

Umm the battery is the same as 4s even with lte. Seriously, you convinced yourself but you won't convince anyone else.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009

Usually the people who are upgrading, were coming from iphone 4. You don't need to sour grape, if your contract won't allow you to upgrade. Just do it next year, maybe you will find a evolution upgrade, on the next iphone launch; and by that time your 2 years contract is up.

alexkywalker

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Just got email from AT&T

Whew, I pre-ordered online throught AT&T Premiere's web site (around 5AM CST) and first my order said "processing pre-order", and about 3 hours ago I received the following note:

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your recent purchase from the AT&T Premier Online Store. We're pleased that you chose AT&T as your service provider.

We wanted to confirm that your order is reserved and should arrive as soon as September 21, 2012.

As a reminder, you will receive an email from the AT&T Premier Team confirming shipment along with the carrier information and tracking number to track your shipment online.

I still wonder what "as soon as..." means, I hope it's not back ordered :eek:

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Place an order now to save yourself from the cue. Then if you are willing to go to a Apple store on the launch date, and check if there is a stock for you. You can cancel your online order anytime. Whichever comes first. :cool:

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
No reason to pre-order anymore. In 4 weeks you'll be able to walk into the store and get most (if not all) models in-stock. ;)

You'll be able to do that this Friday too. Same frenzy last year too and there were no issues walking up and getting one on launch day. Apple and the stores have perfected the launch supply. At least where I went in Los Angeles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.