Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Ditto. I like the new black\slate. I also have a first release 4, so this will be a major upgrade for me. I'm GLAD they didn't make it any bigger too. I need a phone that fits my hand, and fits in my pocket, without feeling like I have an iPad stuck to the side of my head, LOL.

Will I pre-order? Probably not. I'll pick one up at my local Apple store sometime after the excitement dies down.

Same. I'm going to wait until mid October and hopefully just stroll in. I can't spend time waiting in lines for a cell phone anymore. I'm all growed up.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Apple spends a lot of money and effort to make everything else smaller inside the box so there's more battery, and optimize their software for battery life. To an Android user, they just don't understand the concept of a phone that can last all day long without running out of juice. So, they see that the iPhone battery can't be swapped and think that's a bad thing.
How do you know, what Apple spends money and effort? Apparently, Apple did not spend a lot of effort on the iPhone 4 antenna design. It took them 12 month of "effort" to come up with the fiasco design. "It just works"!

Apple probably spends "a lot of money and effort" on marketing, that's a bit more likely.

Humans have a need to rationalize and justify their decisions. They like what they can have, and dislike what they can't:
- No removable battery: we don't need it (we prefer the sealed dumbphone)
- No wireless charging: it's a gimmick
- No NFC: there is no use for it
- No USB storage: well...
- No LTE: it drains battery and there is no coverage
- No screen size choices: Apple knows better what size you need
- No AMOLED: it's over-saturated anyway
- Little RAM: iPhone does not need more (right, it can't really multitask)
- Stylus? Dead on Arrival! Gestures, gestures!

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Oh look, an Antennagate believer. I thought you guys were extinct. I could reproduce the same effect with every cell phone, and the huge, huge majority of iPhone 4 users had no dropped calls or signal issues. The iPhone 4 still had a much improved antenna compared to the 3GS.

No removable battery: We don't actually need it, because Apple optimizes their products for battery life. Their batteries are often best in class, or very close to the top when compared to other products being marketed in the same category. If anyone needs more battery, they can get an external one for a similar price, there are a number of companies marketing just such a product.

No wireless charging: If it was as fast as a regular plug, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately it's not there yet, and carrying around a wireless charging pad is considerably more bulk than carrying around a simple charging plug. I've never felt inconvenienced by having to plug a device in to charge it.

No NFC: Is there a use for it? I've never come across any stores that had NFC. Maybe it's commonplace in your area, but it isn't in most places. NFC isn't really standardized yet, there's a bunch of different things trying to compete with each other, but nobody's really taken the plunge to make it widespread and simple to use. Apple doesn't do things just to do things, they only add features when they have some kind of usefulness to their users. NFC isn't there yet.

No USB storage: Not really sure what you even mean by this.

No LTE: Uh... the iPhone 6th gen has LTE. And yes, until very recently, the LTE chips were very power hungry and there was no coverage. I'm not even sure I have LTE coverage here yet myself.

Okay, the rest of your post kind of rambles on incoherently, so I'll stop there. I probably replied to more than I should have anyway.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Thousands of resolutions? Exaggerate much? :) And you don't need to change code for a larger screen if the resolution stays the same.

That’s just it though, the resolution doesn’t stay the same. Android supports up to 4 pixel densities, and let’s be conservative and say there are 6 screen sizes available. Permutations are in the hundreds of thousands. Of course that’s not the real world but there are certainly hundreds and having to support that means making decisions that invariably lead to a less precise experience on Android. I wish it weren’t so, and I can certainly make decisions based on which are the top Android devices which is what I usually end up doing.

This isn’t a slagging off of Android for some silly fanboy pissing contest, I’m simply describing why as a small developer the work I do, when I do Android can’t have the same degree of polish and precision as iOS. Not to mention Android numbers for my customers don’t even come close to iOS (4:1) so it’s more work for a smaller audience, the ROI just isn’t there.

Anyway, a tiny addition of vertical pixels doesn't help me much. As a developer it's still another resolution and aspect ratio to handle. As a user, it's still not any easier to read tiny webpage text without zooming. For video, 1280x720 would have been way more sensible than 1136x640 and would let the iPhone actually display the 'HD' video minimum standard.

The taller screen doesn’t have me jumping for joy or anything, but supporting it is pretty easy.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Maybe it's not a huge upgrade if you have a 4S, but if you replace your phone every two years like most people on contract do, it's a different story. The 5 will be a nice improvement from my iPhone 4.

LTE is a huge upgrade ALONE, I don't care which iPhone you have.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
im upgrading from a iphone 4, which iv had for two years
this update is massive for me

only issue, dont know which to pick. white or black

haters going to hate, dont buy it
dont like the look, dont buy
dont like the specs, dont buy

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I don't get it. If the back is made out of metal, and metal can bend easily unlike glass, why are they still using the sandwich design, where you have a metal band sandwiched between the front and back panel? How about they put in some effort and remove that God awful aluminum band, and make it a unibody metal shell that has some sexy curves to it. Awful design that looks monstrously tall. But people will eat it up.

Wow.

It isn't a sandwich design, it's a uni-body design. Metal can bend easily? Really? Hmmmmmm. You can't be that........................smart. ;)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
LTE is a huge upgrade ALONE, I don't care which iPhone you have.

How so? Does 14.4Mbps 3G on 4S is much slower compared to LTE on the 5 in real world usage?
Not to mention carriers throttle you much.

Having a faster network means you run out of gas quicker. I suppose you enjoy to ride a Ferarri with only third gallon in it.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
How so? Does 14.4Mbps 3G on 4S is much slower compared to LTE on the 5 in real world usage?

Having a faster network means you run out of gas quicker. I suppose you enjoy to ride a Ferarri with only third gallon in it.

If you really think 3G actually gets consistent speeds of 14.4, your living in a dream world.

If I'm lucky, I get probably 5-6 Mbps on average, and I live in Los Angeles.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If you really think 3G actually gets consistent speeds of 14.4, your living in a dream world.

If I'm lucky, I get probably 5-6 Mbps on average, and I live in Los Angeles.

Well LTE does not get you a consistent 21Mbps either, does it? In my area, using 4S and 3G data plan net me 6 - 10Mbps. And that's plenty fast for most internet activities. While using current LTE you're looking at 10-20 Mbps of real world usage.

But then again we only enjoy such speed for our first 2 or 3 GB, or maybe a bit more on LTE data plan, but it's also twice as fast. After that it's a painfully slow throttle or charged ridiculous amount for data overuse.

It's certainly don't hurt to have more speed when you need it, but when you only be given a half gallon of frickin gas, owning a Ferarri is no better than an old Corolla.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

How so? If you are downloading a jpg photo it downloads faster but doesn't use more data ( or gas). Same with web pages.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
How so? If you are downloading a jpg photo it downloads faster but doesn't use more data ( or gas). Same with web pages.

Well everybody loves a faster connection. But the scheme carriers put you into is totally ridiculous.

Something like LTE data plan should have a reasonable data limit. Say 50GB or 100GB monthly to be able to enjoy the benefit long enough.

Sure .. Same data, same size .. It doesn't need any more gas than it should. But a faster car would be all but makes you drive it in a fast LONG track.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
Well everybody loves a faster connection. But the scheme carriers put you into is totally ridiculous.

Something like LTE data plan should have a reasonable data limit. Say 50GB or 100GB monthly to be able to enjoy the benefit long enough.

Sure .. Same data, same size .. It doesn't need any more gas than it should. But a faster car would be all but makes you drive it in a fast LONG track.

I got a dose of what LTE can do when I used my iPad on a San Francisco trip, and I was spoiled after that.

I'm looking forward to LTE on the iPhone and I'm not worried about going through my data faster. I'm at work or home mostly when I use the most data and have wifi. I'm one of those people who use wifi WHENEVER possible, even public places, and cellular if it's a must.

ayedgaf

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I get to use the itunes store and all the content and apps I already purchased on my iphone. Imagine that, sticking with a phone because of the ecosystem and not masturbating over specs or the ability to fiddle with it?

i use Spotify to sync everything. and Google music gives free 20k songs space to upload for free on cloud service. not like itunes you have to pay just to have the music cloud service..

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
iPhone 5

yesterday I went to Apple store and purchased iPhone 4S unlocked lucky me with iOS 5 :) (I have iphone4)I dont like the iPhone 5 at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.