Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Already on from Miami to West Palm, according to AT&T's site. We are patiently waiting for the Treasure Coast to get it

I've been getting a solid 20Mbps all over south FL for a couple months. It's so flat here that signal strength is awesome all over. Even with the great coverage they launched some more towers last week to help with some of the areas along the everglades. It's prob much cheaper to roll it out down here because population is so dense and it's flat.

terrible

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
AT&T just flipped on the LTE switch for Portland, OR customers as well. Perfect timing!

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
It just went on in Metro Detroit today, and I'm pleased to say that "metro detroit" apparently includes Ann Arbor!

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma

brilliant, thanks!

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
It just went on in Metro Detroit today, and I'm pleased to say that "metro detroit" apparently includes Ann Arbor!

Very nice! Now, for reception/quality @ the big House....

omg! i'm crying of joy lol!! friday can't come soon enough now!:D

I agree, was not sure we were going to see this before the end of the year; quite surprised tbh.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How is LTE inside buildings?

One of the annoying things about my AT&T iPhone 4 has been losing signal inside large buildings. Is LTE able to penetrate better?

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Very excited about LTE in Sacramento. Was contemplating switching to VZW (since they were the only carrier with LTE here) for the iPhone 5, but now I won't be doing that.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Announced today:

Sep 19, 2012 03:01 ET
AT&T 4G LTE Available In Portland

Customers to benefit from ultra-fast mobile Internet on the latest LTE devices

PORTLAND, Ore., Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* has turned on its 4G LTE network in Portland, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology. Watch here to see several of the benefits AT&T 4G LTE provides, including:

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120612/DA23287LOGO)

Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.

Cool new devices. AT&T offers several LTE-compatible devices, including new AT&T 4G LTE smartphones and tablets, such as the Motorola ATRIX ™ HD, Sony Xperia ™ ion, HTC One™ X, Samsung Focus® 2, Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Galaxy Note™, and Pantech Element™ tablet.

Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you've sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.

More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
"We continue to see demand for mobile Internet skyrocket, and our 4G LTE network in Portland responds to what customers want from their mobile experience — more, faster, on the best devices," said Mike Maxwell, AT&T's Vice President/General Manager.

Notice they don't mention iPhone or iPad. :rolleyes: :p

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Sweet...Cincinnati was announced as coming soon on 9/6 along with a bunch of other cities that just went live so hopefully it will kick on by the weekend.

terrible

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
In addition to Seattle, Detroit, and Portland it looks like Memphis and Birmingham also got the LTE treatment yesterday.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
This has me 1000 times more excited for my new phone to get here. And I was already really excited about it. I'm a bit bummed I have to do an upgrade swap before I can turn it on.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
HONOLULU, Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* has turned on its 4G LTE network in Honolulu, bringing customers the latest generation of wireless network technology

Seems like they wanted to have it coincide with the release of Iphone 5!!! I am so stoked now!

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
go to att.com/lte and look at the map. it has orange dots for cities that at&t currently has LTE service. It also has green dots for cities that will have LTE service by the end of the year. That basically means most of the green areas are under testing and youll get some spotty LTE coverage at the least.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Very nice! Now, for reception/quality @ the big House....

I agree, was not sure we were going to see this before the end of the year; quite surprised tbh.

After my freshman year, where the reception was miserable, I've always had service at the big house (so, for last year and in the first 2 games this year). ATT is an official sponsor of Michigan football, so you'd hope they could provide coverage at the games.

It's actually really cool to be able to use your phone when you realize you're packed into 1 square mile with over 110,000 other people

micahjo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
AT&T just flipped on the LTE switch for Portland, OR customers as well. Perfect timing!

Do you know if that extends to Vantucky, as well? Can you link somewhere with this info, or did you just see it show up on your iPad?

EDIT: Looked up a couple of posts and saw the press release.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.