Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a question - is it possible to hook up my PS3 to a 4:3 projector? Would it still be in HD?

Thanks!

Yes and no.

If the 4:3 projector has component input, then yes you would be able to hook it up. It should simply add borders top and bottom (should be a setting in the projector menu for changing it to widescreen) should the projector support it.

Chances are it will take the 720p signal and then scale/convert it to match the output of the projector be it 800x600 or 1024x640.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Yes and no.

If the 4:3 projector has component input, then yes you would be able to hook it up. It should simply add borders top and bottom (should be a setting in the projector menu for changing it to widescreen) should the projector support it.

Chances are it will take the 720p signal and then scale/convert it to match the output of the projector be it 800x600 or 1024x640.

I'm thinking of getting the Move for House of the Dead 4 - the only thing that I don't like about video games in general is the DLC. I was researching Mortal Kombat and realized that you don't get the entire game (all characters, etc.) unless you download DLC. There's a version that's $10 more and you get all the DLC...but I don't like how no two people may have the same game because everyone has different downloads, etc.

I liked the way gaming was before (with prior-gen consoles) where everyone had the exact same version of the game. :p

PS3 is great though!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm thinking of getting the Move for House of the Dead 4 - the only thing that I don't like about video games in general is the DLC. I was researching Mortal Kombat and realized that you don't get the entire game (all characters, etc.) unless you download DLC. There's a version that's $10 more and you get all the DLC...but I don't like how no two people may have the same game because everyone has different downloads, etc.

I liked the way gaming was before (with prior-gen consoles) where everyone had the exact same version of the game. :p

PS3 is great though!

We started a topic about this a few weeks back

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1334200/

But yeah DLC for the most part IMHO is fecking terrible and a poor excuse to give gamers unfinished products with portions of game specifically ripped out of it in order to force consumers to pay 'more' for items which in many many cases they actually own.

The recent Street Fighter X Tekken springs to mind where DLC characters are included on the disc you just paid $50 for, but Capcom want another $15-20 for you to use them.... They can go feck off... What was disturbing about this was not the total fleecing of the consumer, but the utter shock that the publisher had when it saw people were deservedly pissed off about it.

DLC has in most cases simply become an exercise in pure contempt for the consumer and gamer.

I refuse to buy ANY game that comes with lots of announced DLC before release, or 'day 1 DLC'.

The tide is turning against DLC, and it's honest humble inception - which was to expand out games later in there lifespan with extra content in the form of expansion packs and such, has long since been bastardised by greedy publishers and developers who daren't say NO to the publisher when they come demanding part of their game is ripped out during production so they can sell it as DLC on day 1.....

This has turned into a rant I realise, but DLC is my biggest bugbear of this and possibly all future gaming generations. Though as I say the recent Capcom Streetfighter fiasco proves the people are getting as tired of it as I.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
We started a topic about this a few weeks back

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1334200/

But yeah DLC for the most part IMHO is fecking terrible and a poor excuse to give gamers unfinished products with portions of game specifically ripped out of it in order to force consumers to pay 'more' for items which in many many cases they actually own.

The recent Street Fighter X Tekken springs to mind where DLC characters are included on the disc you just paid $50 for, but Capcom want another $15-20 for you to use them.... They can go feck off... What was disturbing about this was not the total fleecing of the consumer, but the utter shock that the publisher had when it saw people were deservedly pissed off about it.

DLC has in most cases simply become an exercise in pure contempt for the consumer and gamer.

I refuse to buy ANY game that comes with lots of announced DLC before release, or 'day 1 DLC'.

The tide is turning against DLC, and it's honest humble inception - which was to expand out games later in there lifespan with extra content in the form of expansion packs and such, has long since been bastardised by greedy publishers and developers who daren't say NO to the publisher when they come demanding part of their game is ripped out during production so they can sell it as DLC on day 1.....

This has turned into a rant I realise, but DLC is my biggest bugbear of this and possibly all future gaming generations. Though as I say the recent Capcom Streetfighter fiasco proves the people are getting as tired of it as I.

I'm trying to justify not downloading DLC by saying that the game that comes on the disc is the "standard". Any DLC above that is "extra". :rolleyes:

redmajor213

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
Get a PS3. It really depends on what system your friends are on. If they have ps3 get ps3 if they have an Xbox get and Xbox. If not then get ps3. It's more noob friendly !!!

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I'm trying to justify not downloading DLC by saying that the game that comes on the disc is the "standard". Any DLC above that is "extra". :rolleyes:

Thats why I'm glad I'm late to the game. I've been buying "complete" editions of older games at discount prices. I don't need the latest and greatest...hell, most of what I play are retro games anyway.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
four words, I hate consoles gaming.

I have to agree that arcade machines are 1000x better than home consoles.

The hardware of arcade games now is equal to or exceeds gaming consoles. You really can't replace a cabinet made just for one game, even if the core hardware is similar to home consoles.

This is Sega's latest arcade hardware - easily exceeds console hardware:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=910

Here is an arcade system by Namco that seems to essentially be identical to a Playstation 3:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=900

Namco's newest system, System 369, is probably a PS3 with some upgrades to it.

But even though arcade games are technically superior, nothing replaces having a home console either.

The Playstation Move is probably the closest you will get to an arcade setup at home for games like arcade rail shooters

Last edited:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I have to agree that arcade machines are 1000x better than home consoles.

The hardware of arcade games now is equal to or exceeds gaming consoles. You really can't replace a cabinet made just for one game, even if the core hardware is similar to home consoles.

This is Sega's latest arcade hardware - easily exceeds console hardware:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=910

Here is an arcade system by Namco that seems to essentially be identical to a Playstation 3:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=900

Namco's newest system, System 369, is probably a PS3 with some upgrades to it.

But even though arcade games are technically superior, nothing replaces having a home console either.

The Playstation Move is probably the closest you will get to an arcade setup at home for games like arcade rail shooters

I wish there were more arcades here still, I used to go to them all the time when I lived in Japan. Short of the smoke from cigarettes I always had a fun time.

Seems like short of a few places like Reno or Vegas arcades are pretty much a dinosaur in the US.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Well, congrats on your purchase, it sounds like you are enjoying it and happy with your decision. Welcome back to console gaming!

I just bought an XBox 360 for my 16 year old son and myself. I saw some posts above about the 'refresh' of new consoles, of this generation being on it's last legs and so forth . . . It's a GREAT time to hop on board in my opinion! Think about it, these consoles (XBox 360 and PS3) have been around for a long time. All of the 'game of the year' games from previous years, which are all still great, are like $10 now, some less.

What we're playing (and loving) that released on PS3 and Xbox 360:
-Resident Evil 5
-Borderlands
-Fallout 3 GOTY
-Fallout:New Vegas
-Call of Duty:Modern Warfare

And of course, we're playing the hell out of all the Halo games, but there you go . . .

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I have another question - for games like Resident Evil Chronicles HD Collection, House of the Dead 4, and Time Crisis: Razing Storm (on-rails shooters), can I get by with just the motion controller, or do I need the navigation controller as well?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have another question - for games like Resident Evil Chronicles HD Collection, House of the Dead 4, and Time Crisis: Razing Storm (on-rails shooters), can I get by with just the motion controller, or do I need the navigation controller as well?

You can use a regular controller in lieu of the navigation controller.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
You can use a regular controller in lieu of the navigation controller.

Eww...I don't want to do that. :( Do you know if on-rails shooters in general require anything else besides the motion controller?

If they do, then I'll just stick to playing with my default PS3 controller (it becomes a lot of money if you want 2 players to play!).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Eww...I don't want to do that. :( Do you know if on-rails shooters in general require anything else besides the motion controller?

If they do, then I'll just stick to playing with my default PS3 controller (it becomes a lot of money if you want 2 players to play!).

House of Dead games certainly doesn't use the navigation controller. I played through both House of Dead's the other day 3 & 4 with just the motion controller. Flew threw both games in less than 60 minutes...

Haven't downloaded RE Chronicles but suspect it doesn't need the other controller either.

Oh and TC: rising storm apparently has issues..

Namco incorporated the navigation controller in the horrible Story Mode that nobody asked for, they completely neglected to add support for it in the Arcade Mode.

So don't go buying one for TC: Rising Storm anyway....

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
House of Dead games certainly doesn't use the navigation controller. I played through both House of Dead's the other day 3 & 4 with just the motion controller. Flew threw both games in less than 60 minutes...

Haven't downloaded RE Chronicles but suspect it doesn't need the other controller either.

Oh and TC: rising storm apparently has issues..

Namco incorporated the navigation controller in the horrible Story Mode that nobody asked for, they completely neglected to add support for it in the Arcade Mode.

So don't go buying one for TC: Rising Storm anyway....

Cool, answered all my questions, thanks.

petercina1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
Yep, Apple doesn't allow anything other than iTunes to officially access music from the iPhone or iPod Touch.Perhaps they will some day and Microsoft will update the iPod connectivity software on the 360. Not likely though since updates to the iPod classic made it unreadable too.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I too thought about getting a console after more than a decade of abstinence (Dreamcast was my last one).

Two questions: when do you think the next gen is due next year? I don't really care for the latest and greatest but would be nice to know. And second whether the BR player (only reason to go with the PS [Slim]) is region coded or not. Couldn't find anything on Amazon...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I too thought about getting a console after more than a decade of abstinence (Dreamcast was my last one).

Two questions: when do you think the next gen is due next year? I don't really care for the latest and greatest but would be nice to know. And second whether the BR player (only reason to go with the PS [Slim]) is region coded or not. Couldn't find anything on Amazon...

Holiday Season if going on the normal routine.

They announce them E3 and then release close to Christmas or soon after.

Yes BR player is region identified (technically not locked) to whichever region A (USA\Canada\Japan) B (Europe) C (Russia\India)

It is the discs which govern whether they will run on a Region A,B or C player. Some Blu-Ray discs are region locked. 20th Century Fox tend to region lock all their discs.

However not all discs are region locked, so all Warner Bros films for example are marked ABC meaning they will play in any region player. Many Disney and Sony pictures films are also ABC encoded, meaning they will play in any region player.

If you want to check a disc is region locked to your country you can do so on

http://bluray.liesinc.net

Simply choose the region you are buying the disc in, Region A or B and then look through the list and see if it's listed. A Yes will identify it as region free, No means its region locked. Simples...

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.