Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
So I'm pretty interested to start using Passbook.

I noticed when I try opening it, there's a button for the App Store that goes nowhere. I'm assuming we have to actually download the app tomorrow? or does it work for anyone?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple will probably release the doors and a they will all come in.

I assume Apple probably will release their own Apple Store support to maybe others like Starbucks and all those airlines.

infinityharry

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
UK - Cheshire
Yeah im guessing they wont make a store option for passbook. they will just give app developers the option to enable the user to export their data to the passbook app. this will probably work for companies like ticket master who could attach passbook information for the user to download on their iPhone.

also this happens when you make a "Pass" on here PassSource

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
Fandango actually released an update today which enabled their app for passbook use. No one else that i'm aware of has done this. To test out passbook in the meantime, checkout passsource

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Yup, Fandango is working

2lsjz86.png

Note: I edited the QR code to distort it.

I had to install the Fandango App. Logged into my Fandango account and then went to Purchases. In this screen it shows the QR Code of the purchase with a button at the bottom to Add to Passbook. I clicked that button, accepted the addition and the "ticket" was loaded into Passbook. This is what The Dark Knight ticket looks like from Fandango.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I am so excited - I have a flight on Friday morning with American Airlines. I can't wait to walk up to the airport and have the boarding pass alert on my lock screen! I can get to the security line and be like here::apple:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Southfrisco, is that an old/already used movie ticket that's showing up in Passbook for you? I went into my purchases and found some old tickets, but none of them have a QR code or an option to add to Passbook.

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Southfrisco, is that an old/already used movie ticket that's showing up in Passbook for you? I went into my purchases and found some old tickets, but none of them have a QR code or an option to add to Passbook.

Yes it is, from July 23, 2012. You have to have the latest update of the Fandango app installed on your device.

Inside Fandango app go to Account, Purchases, select most recent purchase, scroll to the bottom, underneath the QR code for that purchase there is a button Add To Passbook.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Passbook works. Fandango supports it now. Passbook is exactly the same as Newsstand. Apps need to support it for it to work.

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009

Could it be that your purchases were made before Fandango implemented QR code tickets into their app? Do you have any recent purchases from 2012 within the past few months?

Passbook works. Fandango supports it now. Passbook is exactly the same as Newsstand. Apps need to support it for it to work.

Actually that is partly correct. Companies can implement Passbook items via an email/web link as well. You don't need an app to create Passbook items.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yes it is, from July 23, 2012. You have to have the latest update of the Fandango app installed on your device.

Inside Fandango app go to Account, Purchases, select most recent purchase, scroll to the bottom, underneath the QR code for that purchase there is a button Add To Passbook.

Weird. I have the latest update, but when I go to my purchases, I can see the purchase details, but no QR code. Could be because I usually just print the tickets out at the theater instead of doing it at home, so that may explain the lack of a QR code. Either that, or my last purchase was for "Ted" at the end of June, so they may not have implemented QR codes at that time.

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Weird. I have the latest update, but when I go to my purchases, I can see the purchase details, but no QR code. Could be because I usually just print the tickets out at the theater instead of doing it at home, so that may explain the lack of a QR code. Either that, or my last purchase was for "Ted" at the end of June, so they may not have implemented QR codes at that time.

Not sure what is going on there. Maybe your theater does not support "Mobile Ticket? " From the Fandango app version history:

Oct 28, 2011 - Now on iPhone and iPad, go straight to the ticket-taker to have your device scanned with "Mobile Ticket" (participated theaters only)

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
i think i might be one of the very, very few who thinks passbook is a worthless app. god i wish i could delete things like this and the newstand/stocks/weather.

Flux.Capacitor

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
i think i might be one of the very, very few who thinks passbook is a worthless app. god i wish i could delete things like this and the newstand/stocks/weather.

I agree, a remove option would be good, but I guess they want to leave them available if you ever decide to give it a try. This happened to me with Newsstand. After looking at the "dead app" on my iPad, i decided to give it a try and now I am subscribed to 5 or 6 magazines (3 of which are paid, the others are free). Pretty cool app.

I'm actually excited about passbook, and my wife, who is not tech-savvy, is really looking forward to being able to keep all her coupons on her phone.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I am so excited - I have a flight on Friday morning with American Airlines. I can't wait to walk up to the airport and have the boarding pass alert on my lock screen! I can get to the security line and be like here::apple:

Please share your experience. Give it a mini review.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.