Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
HTC has finally unveiled their new Windows Phone models and they look slick.

First thing worth mentioning is they did not make a platter phone. The 4.3" screen is very manageable. No yucky AMOLED screen, and a profile that is much slimmer than the Lumia 920.

Well done HTC

htc8xpress.png

4.3-inch 1280 x 720
Super LCD 2 display
Gorilla Glass 2 coating
Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor
1GB RAM
16GB of internal storage
WiFi a/b/g/n, NFC and an integrated
1,800mAh Li-ion battery
Quadband radio support for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, HSPA/WCDMA (850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz) and, of course, LTE for stateside carriers.

Last edited:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
They do look nice. I'm liking WP8 phones more and more. Too bad I only use phones for phone calls. I'll stick to my Nokia 5200 and the $5/month I pay for the calls for now. I hope they come out with more low priced units in both WP8 and Android to cater for us low usage folks.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
looks alot like the nokia lumias. is the colour body/border an ms request? or did they just copy nokia?
I'm thinking this color theme is a MS request. That said, I love both devices... i like the thinness of HTCs.. and Nokia's camera and wireless charging.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
looks alot like the nokia lumias. is the colour body/border an ms request? or did they just copy nokia?

Bright, bold colors is kind of Windows Phone's "thing." Android has the futuristic, robot-ish thing going, and Apple is big on minimal, industrial design. Makes sense for WP phones to differentiate themselves while staying true to the design-language-formerly-known-as-Metro feel.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Bright, bold colors is kind of Windows Phone's "thing." Android has the futuristic, robot-ish thing going, and Apple is big on minimal, industrial design. Makes sense for WP phones to differentiate themselves while staying true to the design-language-formerly-known-as-Metro feel.
These look an awful lot like the Lumia's. Do you know if Microsoft supplies reference designs to the OEM's?

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I'm thinking this color theme is a MS request. That said, I love both devices... i like the thinness of HTCs.. and Nokia's camera and wireless charging.

The samsung ativ doesn't have that color scheme and looks like a futuristic phone so IDK

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Yeah I'm now wondering if alongside standardised specifications, microsoft are asking manufacturers for standardised aesthetics.

It looks lovely, but why would I choose this over a Lumia 920 ??? other than Beats Audio v Orgasm Cam (pureview).....

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Anyone know when these W8 phones will actually be demonstrated?....do we actually have to wait for W8 to be announced by Windows before the phones can actually be used and reviewed?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Man, I'm really liking these new W8 Phones. I really think polycarbonate is the way to go with a hand held device. Smooth, roundish, feels great in the hand and pocket and wont show scratches like the iPhone 5 slate will.

I think I saw where W8 is GM, so it won't be long. This HTC, at 4.3" is perfect in my book (as long as I can get 32gig on board)

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
4.3 inch 720p I like. Damn phone looks awesome windows phones look really good not that I would use one :/

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
HTC have definitely given Nokia a run for their money here. I was considering getting a Lumia for my next Windows Phone but the 8X looks like it could be the one.

What a strong release for WP8 this autumn.:cool:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Lame. I really wanted to see that rumored Android phablet.

Honestly I'm getting bored with the look of WP8 already, just from these photos and those of the Nokias. Of course the experience will be something entirely different once I actually fiddle around with it, but yeah...kind of getting that claustrophobic iOS feeling all over again.

Come on HTC, just let rip with that massive droid phablet goodness already!! :cool:

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I like the looks of the HTC 8X, going to be a tough decision between that and the Lumia 920.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
That thing should be thinner. It's thicker than my 2-year old iPhone 4, which is much smaller.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Apple has got you in the bag then.

I find it funny that you are deluding yourself into thinking otherwise.

Chunky, thicker phones are not as sleek-looking as thinner phones. This is always true, regardless of the manufacturer (HTC One S is thin and good-looking).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.