Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, Apple has just released iOS 6 to the public, making the download available to users of recent iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch models. Users can obtain the update either by connecting their devices to iTunes and clicking the "Check for Update" button or checking for over-the-air updates on their devices via Settings -> General -> Software Update. It may, however, take a few minutes for the update to propagate to all users.

ios_6_ota1.jpg

iOS 6 adds over 200 new features, including Apple's own Maps app, Facebook integration, Siri improvements, Apple's new Passbook digital wallet app, and more. Discussion of the new operating system is ongoing in our iOS 6 forum.

ios_6_feature_icons.jpg

iOS 6 is compatible with the third-generation iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and fourth-generation iPod touch. It will also ship on the iPhone 5, which launches on Friday, and on the fifth-generation iPod touch launching next month. The operating system arrives as the golden master build 10A403 for existing devices, and Apple has also posted a special 10A405 build for the iPhone 5 and a 10A406 build for the upcoming fifth-generation iPod touch.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 6 with New Maps App, Facebook Integration, Siri Improvements, and More

jeffgao

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Starts downloading, 599MB.
Done upgrade.

The new Map app sucks! There is no longer transit routing available for my city. All it does is to show me an empty list of apps that may have routing capability.

Last edited:

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
My iPad still says 5.1.1 is up to date. I guess I need to try again in a few minutes...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, someone do it on their 3GS first and tell me if it's not as bad as iOS 4 was on 3G.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
iOS6, overall very nice.

But as many testers pointed out: Google Maps and StreetView seem to be more useful (especially outside the US) and with more detailed maps and info than Apple's Flyover.

Any feedback? I will probably refrain from upgrading until Google releases a stand-alone Maps app for iOS6.

(And it may well be that Apple takes its time to approve it...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.