Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'm a Mac / I'm a PC ads were similar but pointed to the hardware/software of the devices and the personality associated with these computers.

Samsung's commercials are cutting on the device and the people that use them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I'm not terribly interested in the features they advertised, but I thought it was a good ad. Like the Mac vs. PC ads it was light-hearted enough to not come across as acrimonious. Do companies really air 90 second ads on TV, though?

Right, but the Mac v.s. PC ads were just that. Macintosh making fun of the PC, not Apple making fun of PC users.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm a HUGE Apple fan but I have to say that this is a pretty good ad.

Probably won't be very effective, because it makes fun of the target audience, but fun to watch none the less.

The part that confused me the most was the end.... why would you want to watch a video WHILE sending an e-mail? Makes no sense.

E

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think a major difference is that Samsung is doing this with zero humour. They're not trying to roast, they're trying to make Apple users feel and look inferior to Samsung users. When there's no humour, it's just insulting.

Really? Maybe you're just missing the humor or just are biased against Samsung enough to hate whatever they produce. I don't know. I found the ad to be amusing. Hilarious - no - but good in that it shows features (unlike early Android phone ads which were all about making the phone look like it was the terminator coming from the future, etc)

The ad was also relatively spot on. And while some might argue that some of the features are "nothing new" - the same goes to Apple when they promote notifications, cut & paste, VIP email inbox, etc. It's marketing.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
With all the free ads Apple is getting from Samsung, they may not even need to run any of their own...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I'm a HUGE Apple fan but I have to say that this is a pretty good ad.

Probably won't be very effective, because it makes fun of the target audience, but fun to watch none the less.

The part that confused me the most was the end.... why would you want to watch a video WHILE sending an e-mail? Makes no sense.

E

Battery life is for the weak

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think a major difference is that Samsung is doing this with zero humour. They're not trying to roast, they're trying to make Apple users feel and look inferior to Samsung users. When there's no humour, it's just insulting.

Depends which side you are on. If you are not part of the fan boy crew it is pretty funny. I find they are making poking fun at the fan boys and it does a pretty good job.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I can't even count the number of times on both hands that I've wanted to share a playlist with someone. Because I've never wanted to. Ever.

What good is the playlist if the friend then has to go buy all that music? So now he has a list BFD. Playlists have been shared for quite some time now. Glad to see Sammy can now do it.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I actually found the commercial amusing. I'm switching from Android to the iPhone 5 (my first iPhone) so I can relate to sentiments from both sides.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh, and:

Do you see people lining up a days in advance for the G3?

This is exactly the mentality they are mocking

Who cares? Personally - I'd rather be able to just walk into a store or click online and get the phone immediately then have to deal with a line or online traffic.

Which is exactly what you can do a couple of weeks after launch of the iPhone.

I get why some people to be first - and I "sort of" get why people get pissed if they can't be. But I find it silly

elchemor

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Abu Dhabi - UAE
when they did the first ad (was it two years ago ?) i thought it was funny and had some humor in it ! but when they kept repeating the same thing over and over and trying to slightly change the script, i find it a huge lack of creativity and ideas, pretty much a reflection of the phones they produce !

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Ehh I don't really see the value in these kind of ads, but to each his own I guess. What I want to know is how does one watch a video while sending an email? Or rather, why would you want to? Wouldn't you want to pause the video so you can focus on the email and then resume your video? Again, to each his own I suppose.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I ordered an iPhone 5 but even I think this advert is funny. :D

iOsDroid

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I mean everybody here sounds pretty threatened whenever Samsung comes out with something. So weird.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
FYI

* Screen images simulated, appearance may vary. Accessory sold seperately.
* Music Hub subscriber-to-subscriber, where available.
* S Beam requires initial connection between devices, must touch back-to-back to activate.
* Shareshot requires Galaxy SIII phones connected using peer-to-peer WiFi Direct (TM) technology.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Depends which side you are on. If you are not part of the fan boy crew it is pretty funny. I find they are making poking fun at the fan boys and it does a pretty good job.

In competitive ads like these, I watch them as though they were two competing companies in a different market that I have no interest in. Say this was a Nissan-produced ad featuring Mazda buyers. Nissan would come off looking weak and petty by having to resort to blatantly insulting Mazda owners, not the cars themselves. This is why I deem this ad unfunny and insulting, even as an Apple user, because as a Kia owner if it were Nissan and Mazda, it would look just as insulting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.