Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage34.png

Passbook enabled apps have begun making their way to the App Store, with major corporations like Major League Baseball, Ticketmaster, Fandango and Lufthansa offering event and flight tickets via Passbook, and Walgreens offering access to its rewards program via the service.

The Next Web has details on how Passbook works:
The passes are issued by companies directly to customers via email or apps or any other avenue that they choose and are added to a user's Passbook automatically. There is no app required for use besides Passbook itself, though companies can choose to include 'pass update' functionality in their apps for those that want to make changes after the fact.
The search engine on our sister-site AppShopper is keeping track of Passbook-enabled apps as they get released.

Article Link: Passbook Enabled-Apps Start Arriving on App Store

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Looks cool...I'm excited to start using it as long as it doesn't spam me with coupons....

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I think this is the way I'll be buying movie tickets from now on! :D I can't wait for Starbucks to get in on this!

EDIT: I'm not too sure how it works and I've never purchased from Fandango though. Do they give me a ticket at the window or do I go to where they check your ticket and they check/scan my phone? D:

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I think this is the way I'll be buying movie tickets from now on! :D I can't wait for Starbucks to get in on this!

EDIT: I'm not too sure how it works and I've never purchased from Fandango though. Do they give me a ticket at the window or do I go to where they check your ticket and they check/scan my phone? D:

Depends on the theater. I've had to print out a pass that I gave to the guy at the gate, but I've also used special Fandango kiosks before in other theaters where you scan your credit card and it printed tickets. It's been a few years, though, so they may do something entirely different by now.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Depends on the theater. I've had to print out a pass that I gave to the guy at the gate, but I've also used special Fandango kiosks before in other theaters where you scan your credit card and it printed tickets. It's been a few years, though, so they may do something entirely different by now.

It seems like it may be different than that by now, especially with Passbook integration.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Most modern theatres these days will let you skip the ticket line and go straight to the person who checks/rips off the ticket stub. He will scan and then let you in.

cpeebles25

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011

You don't have to go to the ticket box. Just go on inside and they will scan your phone.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

I have been using Fandango a lot lately (mostly because of the 2-4-1 deals often offered by sites like LivingSocial and Half Off Depot) and how you obtain entry varies from theater to theater.

Most Regal Cinema theaters allow you to print your ticket at home, so you just present your print out at the entrance and you're good to go.

AMC Theaters, on the other hand, you have to go to the automated kiosk (or box office) and provide the credit card you paid with and your tickets are printed for you.

And with Cinemark, they have recently installed scanners at the entrance. When you purchase tickets in the Fandango app, you're issued a QR code which is scanned by an usher when you enter the theater. I'm sure this method will soon be adopted by all theaters. The Fandango app lets you know which theaters accept QR code for admission.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 19, 2 55 25 PM.png
    Photo Sep 19, 2 55 25 PM.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Photo Sep 19, 3 04 54 PM.png
    Photo Sep 19, 3 04 54 PM.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 194

amcomis

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
OK I'm a little confused. So I guess boarding passes/tickets need passbook enabled apps to work? Seems only fandango has done this.

But what about loyalty cards? and gift cards? How do we add them? We need an app to start with? Seems a little odd. How did you get your walmart card up?

macteo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
Create your own passes

If you want to fill your Passbook for free you can go to http://passdock.com and grab some existing ones or design, create, manage, upload and download your own.

Note: I'm one of the creator of Passbook, so any feedback is very appreciated!

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Passbook isn't working for me...I have MLB and Fandango (updated) and everytime I go to Passbook it says "Cannot Access App Store."

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Passbook isn't working for me...I have MLB and Fandango (updated) and everytime I go to Passbook it says "Cannot Access App Store."

Same here. It is probably getting slammed right now. Some people claim it's working for them, seems to be a small percentage.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Hell yeah! Just checked my local venues and the service they use for purchasing tickets, Hold My Ticket, is going to support Passbook! :D

Same here. It is probably getting slammed right now. Some people claim it's working for them, seems to be a small percentage.

Working for me!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
EDIT: Looks like only 4 ballparks support Passbook tickets so far =(

Oh well! I'm sure it'll come with time.

Last edited:

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Which app?

Not sure what exactly you're asking, but when I click on "App Store" from inside Passbook it takes me to a list of apps that support it and after updating Fandango it tells me I can have my ticket scanned from my phone.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Not sure what exactly you're asking, but when I click on "App Store" from inside Passbook it takes me to a list of apps that support it and after updating Fandango it tells me I can have my ticket scanned from my phone.

That is currently not working for me.

"Cannot connect to iTunes store" every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.