Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I can't figure out how to add my phone number to iMessage on the iPad or on my laptop. Running 6.0 and 10.8.2, respectively. Can any one tell me what I'm missing?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I just went through this. On your iPhone, go to settings - imessage - send and recieve, and make sure AppleID (at the top) is added/set.

Once that's done (You'll probably have to log in), set the iPad up the same, and your send/receive at from the iPhone will appear as options on the iPad (Including your phone number)

Hope this works for you. It did for me.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I think I had to turn off iMessage, wait a bit, then turn it back on on the iPhone before it popped up with a message on the other deivces to allow the use of the phone number on them.

post/ergo

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2009
Great Britain
This all happend automatically for me.

After rebooting for the OS X update I got an dialog box asking if I wanted to add my phone number to Messages. I clicked yes then the next time I unlocked my iPhone it asked me if I wanted to allow my MBA access to messages.

I havent tested to see if it works yet mind.

a4ex

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
i just had to sing out my apple id and sing in again and it worked:D

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Just got done. If you don't see your number, log out of iMessage on iOS device, and sign back up, and it will be there.

daiig

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
any idea if the phone number sync will allow multiple phone numbers? I have work/personal phone and ipad and would be nice if I could get messages from both phone numbers.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
any idea if the phone number sync will allow multiple phone numbers? I have work/personal phone and ipad and would be nice if I could get messages from both phone numbers.

its all linked under your apple id...so If you have both numbers linked to 1 ID you should be able to unless that was not thought of yet...ideally should work

daiig

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
its all linked under your apple id...so If you have both numbers linked to 1 ID you should be able to unless that was not thought of yet...ideally should work

i do have all 3 under the same appleid, guess I will find out later when I get a chance to get all 3 updated.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I've logged in and out of iMessage on all of my devices and haven't had any luck yet. My phone number is associated with my Apple ID, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I've logged in and out of iMessage on all of my devices and haven't had any luck yet. My phone number is associated with my Apple ID, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

iPhone must be updated to iOS6 and working.

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ

Have you shut off iMessage on all apple devices. Turned them off, waited fifteen seconds, turned them back on, then re-enabled iMessage across the devices?

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Have you shut off iMessage on all apple devices. Turned them off, waited fifteen seconds, turned them back on, then re-enabled iMessage across the devices?

Yep, I have tried that several times. I've turned off iMessage, turned off all of my devices and left them off for several minutes, and then tried again. No luck.

EDIT: Not sure what happened, but it's working now! Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

daiig

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
i do have all 3 under the same appleid, guess I will find out later when I get a chance to get all 3 updated.
got them all updated and both phone numbers and all emails show up on all 3 devices.

iMessages sent to either number or the 3 emails shows up on everything. SMS texts are still limited just to the phone number they were sent to of course.

Arxcher

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
NY, NY
I also had to turn iMessage off on both my iPhone and iPad. Once I turned it back on, it verified and activated the use of my cell number

coheteloco

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post this in case anyone is stumbling across it as I did.

The fix for me was Messages>>Preferences >> Accounts Click sign out. Sign in.

Immediately showed my phone number and messages started coming in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.