Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Apple's so bloody minded as always. New apps sat pictures are worse than Google's and the 2 alternative routes it gave for getting to work were all long and a waste of time.

Why didn't they renew their license?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
For all the flak Apple Maps is getting, it actually directed to me a 3rd party transportation app that is far better than Google Maps ever was in iOS 5 (Embark BOS).

I probably would have never bothered to look if public transit directions weren't omitted in iOS 6. :p

Flyover doesn't do much for me after I've ogled at it for 5 minutes, but I'll take turn-by-turn over street view any day!

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Maps is horrible in the US as well:

This is unedited. What a mess!
Why isn't the uk map disaster getting headline status??

Maps is awful, absolute bag of ****. Street View in Google Maps is amazing compared to this 'flyover' crap. They shouldn't have released it until it was of equal quality to the app it is trying to replace.

That's the bits they didn't show you in the keynote ;)

I think I may hold off updating to iOS 6 after reading all this hate. How is the rest of the OS compared to 5.1.1 guys? Is it worth it?

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
I can't upgrade to iOS 6 due to the varied experiences people are having with the maps app. It's something I use daily and I'm not prepared to compromise at this time. Sadly.

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Maps seems to have put Apple in a very Microsoft position: get something out there that hopes to passably emulate the innovator/inventor and then (we can only hope) pour money and time on it until it (roughly) catches up. But, of course, they had to cut the Google dependency. Ah, I remember 2007, when Apple and Google were friends. I miss it.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Live in the UK? Then iOS6 maps was a downgrade. It's shocking! The below image is where I live. Look for Nottingham, one of the UK's biggest cities and it's under clouds and blurred to shreds. Extremely disappointed with Maps. I understand Apple wanted to sever it's ties with Google, but at what cost? :mad:

Click to see Maps comparison

*Image moved to link as under-estimated how much bandwidth you lot would consume!

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I think I may hold off updating to iOS 6 after reading all this hate. How is the rest of the OS compared to 5.1.1 guys? Is it worth it?
- World clock / alarm clock and Siri on the iPad: finally!
- Haven't tried Facetime/3G yet.
- Offline reading list in Safari: Great!

Otherwise... a few nice touches here and there - though it doesn't make a difference for me.

Live in the UK? Then iOS6 maps was a downgrade. It's shocking! The below image is where I live. Look for Nottingham, one of the UK's biggest cities
Similar difference for me in Switzerland - also living in one of the biggest cities.

Although "big" is a "relative" thing compared to Nottingham.
But then, you'd be hard-pressed to find a higher density of Mac/iPhone users in Europe than here in Switzerland ;)

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Apple's so bloody minded as always. New apps sat pictures are worse than Google's and the 2 alternative routes it gave for getting to work were all long and a waste of time.

Why didn't they renew their license?

It's not just a question of renewing a license. Apple and Google are competitors now in the smartphone category. They had to cut the cord. (Although they do still use those Samsung parts, don't they?) Maybe in a couple of iterations it will be all for the best.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Finally got to use Siri on my iPad

I love it :D

Is there a way to get her to tell you the UEFA Champions League scores?

Not that I've found. Actually, the football (that is, real football) integration in Siri is pretty poor. E.g:

"Who is Tottenham's highest scorer?" yields no answer.
"Who is Tottenham's highest goal scorer?" gets it.

Seriously? Wasn't Siri all about recognising colloquial phrases? Do I really need to qualify that I meant highest goal scorer as opposed to somebody who scores wood?

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
I can't upgrade to iOS 6 due to the varied experiences people are having with the maps app. It's something I use daily and I'm not prepared to compromise at this time. Sadly.

Good move. I only updated my iPad and don't use it that much for maps anyway but am definitely not installing this crap on my iPhone. Street View is incredibly useful at times. Maps has completely killed my buzz about receiving an iPhone 5 on Friday.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
As for the original iPad? Apple's not offering of an OS upgrade to a device they sold as new 559 days ago is scandalous. Where is the outrage about this?
1 year, 6 months, 9 days from unbox to a "to-the-bin" for a 500 pound plus piece of kit!

It seems that, based on ios releases, that each device gets at least three years of upgrades. It really depends on how the hardware will handle the software. I found iOS 5 on the original iPad to be real slow and choppy. The hardware starting with the 3GS seems to be able to handle some features of the new iOS but the 3GS probably won't get any major updates after 6.

iPhone - iOS 1, 2, and 3
iPhone 3G - 2, 3, and 4
iPhone 3GS - 3, 4, 5, 6
iPhone 4 - 4, 5, 6

iPad - 3, 4, 5
iPad 2 - 4, 5, 6
iPad 3 - 5, 6, etc.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
This is unedited. What a mess!
Why isn't the uk map disaster getting headline status??

Use the "Report a problem" button.

Maps has to cover the entire world. Apple can't spot every problem by themselves, which is why there's that button there.

Emmanuelc

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Finally got to use Siri on my iPad

I love it :D

Is there a way to get her to tell you the UEFA Champions League scores?

I wished there was but I don't think so=\ just download yahoo sportacular and that's the best sports app there is hands down.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
By the way:

I always used to be disappointed by Siri's failure to show me directions to the nearest train station in Maps.

Now with iOS 6, there aren't any train stations in Maps anymore to begin with. :eek:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
For all the hoopla about IOS6, with the exception of the clock for iPad (since app developers don't seem to know the definition of simplicity), can't see much else of much REAL use with the update...MAYBE IOS32 will have something other than social media integration.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Wasn't there supposed to be a custom user dictionary that you could add your own words to?
I'm not seeing it if so.

frank8880

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
People outside the US don't exist. :p

you should get some general knowledge, learn history and geography and know that many countries do better than the US, especially in Europe son.

the US isn't by any means the ideal of good quality of life son.

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
I use the public transport function in google maps so thank you for the heads up. I wont update this time!

This.

Do not upgrade to iOS 6 if you use Maps and don't live in a major (preferably US) city.

- No Street View
- No public transport routing (unless there's a 3rd party app for your neighbourhood)
- Poor satellite imagery.

+ Gimmicky 3D flyovers of selected cities - cool but no practical use (and when you zoom in too close it looks like a scene from Inception)
+ Turn-by-turn, which is as much use as a chocolate teapot if (a) you don't have GPS (b) you don't have mobile internet, or ever drive out of a coverage area or (c) you've bought TomTom or CoPilot because of (c).

Sorry Apple - fail. The Maps App in my 3-year-old Android Phone now has more useful features than the one in my iPad 3. If you're going to write your own maps, don't launch it until it's got all the key features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.