Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
How do I move my files on my Mac iPod to my Windows? Mac iPod, meaning Mac formatted. How can I do this without going through a Mac?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Gary King said:
How do I move my files on my Mac iPod to my Windows? Mac iPod, meaning Mac formatted. How can I do this without going through a Mac?
If you have two email accounts (i do) you could email the file to yourself and just do that repeatedly. hahaha. Data CD / DVD depending on burner and file size works too if you can't use an iPod. :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
You won't be able to mount a Mac-formatted iPod on a Windows machine. You can, however, mount a Windows formatted iPod on the Mac.

Either email yourself your music, setup a file sharing network system or put all your music on a FAT32 formatted hard drive. I recently gave my Mom a FAT32 formatted drive full of music that she uses with her PC but I can also mount on the Mac to add more music to periodically.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Another option would be to turn on the ssh server on your Mac (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login). Then, on your Windows box, install WinSCP, which is a free scp/sftp program. This will let you easily transfer your music files (and any other documents you might want) from your Mac to the Windows machine.

If you're going to have both Windows and Mac machines around, you may find the aforementioned MacDrive to be very helpful at times.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
rockthecasbah said:
If you have two email accounts (i do) you could email the file to yourself and just do that repeatedly. hahaha. Data CD / DVD depending on burner and file size works too if you can't use an iPod. :)

You could just e-mail it to yourself with one e-mail address too...lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.