Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super michael

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I keep hearing that on the android is more easier to get malware than on IOS, is this true?

So in google play I have to be becareful since some might have malware, what are the risk in malware?

As for IOS so there is little to no risk in malware, what about IOS with jailbreak are there any risk in malware?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Yes, its easier to get malware with Android. However, malware only happens with a few shady apps on the Play store that get caught quickly. The majority of malware happens with stuff you download from the open internet.

As long as you have common sense, you won't have malware.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I keep hearing that on the android is more easier to get malware than on IOS, is this true?

So in google play I have to be becareful since some might have malware, what are the risk in malware?

As for IOS so there is little to no risk in malware, what about IOS with jailbreak are there any risk in malware?

In a light side, I suspect it's as easy as getting a social disease. If you stick your stuff into sources or allow entry from sources that you don't know without using due care (protection), you takes your chances.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
As an Android user, I keep hearing this claim but it just makes me laugh. You've got to be a complete idiot to get malware. Personally I never download an app unless it has great reviews. Do other people just not do this?

Furthermore, I use Lookout as my "find my phone" app which has built-in virus protection, so malware is even more of a non-issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.