Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
Long Island, New York?

Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard when AT&T is going to light up Long Island, New York area? I know they have in 5 boroughs of NYC and heard they will complete by end of year but we were not on AT&T list for by end of 2012.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm just sad that Oklahoma City, OK gets the LTE love but Tulsa, OK (where I live and spend most of my time) doesn't yet. It just says it's one of the cities to be added soon.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I haven't been able to get LTE in the Inland Empire in Southern California. I have to go an hour away to LA. I was actually able to get LTE in Irvine, which is less than an hour away. I wish they'd expand it so I could get it where I live in Riverside. :(

Yea, I feel your pain. I live in Irvine but work in the IE so it's irritating that it hasn't been turned on there yet. Its nice to have LTE where I live but I'm on wifi at home so it doesn't make much of a difference. I'm surprised that AT&T enabled areas like Bakersfield before the IE.

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
Yea, I feel your pain. I live in Irvine but work in the IE so it's irritating that it hasn't been turned on there yet. Its nice to have LTE where I live but I'm on wifi at home so it doesn't make much of a difference. I'm surprised that AT&T enabled areas like Bakersfield before the IE.

Bakersfield has LTE?! :eek:

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
So far today I've seen threads for Birmingham, AL, Seattle and Philly. Any other places they threw the switch today? They are obviously making a big push to get as many places on for the new iPhone as they can. Hoping Detroit is on by Friday too. :)

I was using the s3 today and I was,in Dearborn and I had lte so it is coming to the metro Detroit area

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
AT&T LTE - H'ville

I called AT&T this morning to see when they were planning to add coverage for Huntsville, AL (since they just added Birmingham yesterday). I'm pretty sure I got the most incompetent CSR possible.

I asked if they had a timeframe for when LTE would be switched on in Huntsville, AL...he responded, "LTE??"...I said, "you know...REAL 4G LTE...not HSPA+"...his response..."umm...where?"...I repeated "Huntsville, Alabama"...he asked if I could say what state again...repeated Alabama AGAIN...then he left me on hold for about 5 minutes. He came back and said "it should be on by the end of 2012"

Something tells me I can't trust him based on how clueless he seemed.

I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping ship to Verizon. Not only do they already have a very broad LTE network in northern Alabama (and throughout Alabama), but they also have better coverage in Huntsville without the dead spots that I've seen with AT&T. Then again, I may be cursing Verizon in a few months. We'll see! Too bad there is no perfect carrier!

I live here in Huntsville too. I was very close to switching, but decided to cling on to my unlimited data plan. Next fall may be a different story if we don't have LTE...

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Not according to AT&T - their map and their news releases (last for Cinci was Sep 6th saying by EOY). I don't have an AT&T LTE device yet to check. I hope you are right!

Yeah, AT&T hasn't made a peep about it, but do a search on Twitter for Cincinnati LTE and about a week ago, people started mentioning that their LTE service was on. A friend of mine on there did some speed tests with his iPad, and they were just ok. I was thinking maybe they were just testing it, but it's been on the whole week and the coverage at least goes as far south as Cold Spring, KY (where I work) since my coworker has an AT&T LTE Windows phone and was able to get LTE signal there. I'm not sure why AT&T has made no mention yet.

EDIT: Looks like Yahoo has a story on it, but I still can't find the AT&T press release: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-4g-lte-available-cincinnati-040000560.html

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
US
I live here in Huntsville too. I was very close to switching, but decided to cling on to my unlimited data plan. Next fall may be a different story if we don't have LTE...

Great to see another Huntsvillian on here! :) I really hate to give up the unlimited data, but it annoys me the dead spots around Whitesburg Drive near the AT&T store/Publix/Chick-fil-a area, as well as the dead spot over in the area near Huntsville Hospital. It isn't something that is just urgent that I need service over there, but I don't get why the service right outside their AT&T store would be so horrible! Makes no sense!

I'll be trying out Verizon as of Friday as a test using a new phone # (not committing to it yet). I can keep you posted on how well it works in comparison. I'm not cancelling my AT&T number until I see how Verizon performs in the areas I frequent. I do find it interesting that the "cellreception" website ranks Verizon highest and that AT&T is in last place (even behind Sprint, T-Mobile, and Nextel)! Shocking!

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Yeah, AT&T hasn't made a peep about it, but do a search on Twitter for Cincinnati LTE and about a week ago, people started mentioning that their LTE service was on. A friend of mine on there did some speed tests with his iPad, and they were just ok. I was thinking maybe they were just testing it, but it's been on the whole week and the coverage at least goes as far south as Cold Spring, KY (where I work) since my coworker has an AT&T LTE Windows phone and was able to get LTE signal there. I'm not sure why AT&T has made no mention yet.

EDIT: Looks like Yahoo has a story on it, but I still can't find the AT&T press release: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-4g-lte-available-cincinnati-040000560.html

Cool. Maybe it's just not fully up and running. Can't wait to see if it reaches my house (Colerain Twp) tomorrow.

EDIT - just check AT&T's site and they made the announcement today - http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...399&mapcode=mk-att-wireless-networks|wireless

Last edited:

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Meanwhile at the State Capitol in WI you get 3G/3.5G (aka 4G), and no LTE.
Go 10 miles from downton and you are on Edge.

Remind me why I'm still on AT&T?
Oh yeah, "unlimited" data.
:rolleyes:

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Already posted this in my other thread about Seattle, but here is a list of all western Washington cities confirmed to have 4g active:

Seattle
Bellevue
Lynnwood
Renton
Covington
Federal Way
Tacoma

oh damn tacoma has it? :D

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Do you mind testing it for me when you have time?
I'm curious to the speed we have here in town.

I'll give it a try. However, AT&T service at my house sucks in general and I'm recovering from surgery on my Achilles so I can't walk/drive anywhere :rolleyes: It'll prolly be the weekend before I get out and about.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'll give it a try. However, AT&T service at my house sucks in general and I'm recovering from surgery on my Achilles so I can't walk/drive anywhere :rolleyes: It'll prolly be the weekend before I get out and about.

Oh get better. No rush, I was just curious to hear real world results from someone in the area not PR talk.

SheepNutz posted some good numbers:
A friend of mine was getting 14Mb down and 6Mb up. Someone else on twitter said they were getting 20Mb down and 8Mb up.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Well, not good...at least at my house. Again, I barely have a signal here so I'm sure that impacts the result significantly.

4.41Mb/s down and 1.64Mb/s up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.