Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Just wanted to see what people do when they are having a difficult time falling asleep?

I personally just walk around wherever I'm living, sometimes I move to the couch and watch some TV... maybe read. Eat hot cocoa.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I usually throw a load of valerian down my neck, works a charm and doesn't leave me feeling foggy the next day like sleeping pills do.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
One of the great perks of being retired is there is no schedule, you can make it up as you want.

If I cannot sleep I get up and watch a film or read a book or go online. I then sleep when I feel tired, whether that is daytime or not.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Just wanted to see what people do when they are having a difficult time falling asleep?

I personally just walk around wherever I'm living, sometimes I move to the couch and watch some TV... maybe read. Eat hot cocoa.

No one replied yet with the classic, alternating bouts of masturbation/Call of Duty 4 frag fests?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
One of the great perks of being retired is there is no schedule, you can make it up as you want.

If I cannot sleep I get up and watch a film or read a book or go online. I then sleep when I feel tired, whether that is daytime or not.

I've tried that when I'm off work for a few days, but it always makes me feel unhappy because I'm not following my usual day/night pattern. Maybe I'll have to wait until I retire (assuming that day comes) to try.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I pray.

Usually when you cant sleep is because your brain is all messed up, still active, there is energy left.

I pray, is a meditation state that relaxed the mind.

You give thanx to God for what you have, for your day, your house, even the problems you are facing because those are learning experiences.

Then... you surrender to God "I am here, take me, I am your child, do what ever you please with me, I surrender, I am yours".

Then... you ask for guidance, for clues. God, give me tips, send me clues, help me to listen to them. Help me to resolve the issues in my mind, you know what to do, help me to be better, guide me.

And that's basically is.

Let your mind be free of worries, give them up to God and you will feel relaxed and happy.

When in bed, protect yourself spiritually. Start to visualize a white light coming from above trough you to protect you, feel the protection, make it healing you.. ZZzzzzzzzz.... You are gone!

That is how I fall to sleep. Do it every night and it works better every time. Is healthy and in the morning you feel great. I am 37, I started to do that this year and my anxiety is basically gone and I feel great.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
I just listen to music and reflect. If I'm not sleepy within a hour, I just anticipate how messed up I'll be in the morning...

Two words.....Ny Quil. Take a swig of it and you should pass out in no time.

Apparently they now make this to prevent dependency

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 11.22.18 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 11.22.18 AM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 836

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I'll read something on the net on my iPod Touch or play Angry Birds until I feel like I'm about to drop off. Only disadvantage of that is that I have to charge it the following morning to have it fully charged for the day.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
If you have a channel that shows 50's shows like I love Lucy or leave it to beaver try watching that as you fall asleep. Works for me. Not that the shows are boring, but the filming style and the sound of them make me sleepy.

Edit: In case that doesn't work, just jerk off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.