Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I was looking to push the i06 update to my ipad 2, but I see no compelling reason to loose my jailbreak for it. I don't use Facebook and I prefer the mature Google maps to the fledgling iMaps. What other real-world items have you guys found useful (other than the mysterious 'security fixes and updates')?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm a girl, is it okay to answer? :p

For your iPad? Nothing. If you've jailbroken your iPad then I wouldn't bother with iOS6 until the dev team can JB that.

I like having a clock now but that's hardly worth losing what you have now. Oh and I am happy we can now attach images to an e-mail without having to leave the email app and start from the photo app, if you get what I mean.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Finally being able to upload photos from the browser is quite a significant improvement.

There are certainly API changes, so I expect a lot of apps to require 6.0 soon (I think Shazam has already said their next release will require iOS6).

Jord5i

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
well for one it feels a bit faster to me (iphone 4s and iPad 2), normally it would sometimes freeze when typing, don't have that anymore.

I kinda like shared photostream, and the new looks on native apps, but that's about it really.

But this is coming from someone who doesn't jailbreak, I don't know what the jailbreak offers you that you really need, so I can't really tell if you should upgrade or not.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
well, I've found nothing of use so far. Nothing so far can make up for all of its negative points at the moment.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Of course, 'mysterious' security updates are totally irrelevant. I like Windows 95 and IE5 on my home PC as well.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I was looking to push the i06 update to my ipad 2, but I see no compelling reason to loose my jailbreak for it. I don't use Facebook and I prefer the mature Google maps to the fledgling iMaps. What other real-world items have you guys found useful (other than the mysterious 'security fixes and updates')?

I'll take you seriously when you can spell iOS 6 right

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

If you are keeping your iPad 2 for a while, I'd stick with the jailbreak. I updated my 4S only because I have a 5 coming tomorrow and wanted to work out any possible restore issues from jailbreak prior to putting a backup on the new phone, so I dropped my jailbreak yesterday. There are some nice features, but nothing much better than what is already available from a jailbreak. About the only thing that is noticeably better than what you can already get from jailbroken 5.1.1 is some of the new Siri stuff, which is nice. Other than that, I miss my jailbreak...but I'll survive.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I'm in the same boat as you. I have my iPad 2 jailbroken on 5.0.1. I refuse to upgrade at the moment.

The only enticing reason to do so would be Photostream sharing. It can actually be more handy at creating links for public viewing vs using Dropbox. I already gave it a try from my iPhone 4, both private and public sharing. It's not bad at all.

Other than that, I see no reason at all to update.

I myself already have the default iPhone apps on my iPad, like the clock, weather, calculator, stocks and compass. So there is no need to upgrade for an alarm function.

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
The ability to use individual email signatures for each account was reason enough for me to upgrade.

I use my phone for personal and business emails and this has been a thorn in my side since i got my 3G.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I'll take you seriously when you can spell iOS 6 right
Man, you really got me there! Whoa, I mean, really! You are on the top of your game man! Wow, I bow to your internets!

Thanks to everyone else for their non-jackass responses.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I'm a girl, is it okay to answer? :p

For your iPad? Nothing. If you've jailbroken your iPad then I wouldn't bother with iOS6 until the dev team can JB that.

I like having a clock now but that's hardly worth losing what you have now. Oh and I am happy we can now attach images to an e-mail without having to leave the email app and start from the photo app, if you get what I mean.

Aww, that's the cutest response ever. :D

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Funnily enough, the individual "per account" email signatures was enough of an incentive for me to upgrade.

It's just a pity they've right-royally buggered-up the Maps, though.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My favorite new feature seems to be the panoramic camera. I have a 4S, so only 4S and 5 get the panoramic.

Also the phone is faster. Safari loads much quicker, LOVE the full screen safari if you tilt phone sideways... really enriches the Safari experience even on a 3.5" screen. The 5 will REALLY be able to take advantage of this with the bigger screen.

Also iMessage. My iMessages send instantly now. Before there would be usually a 5 or more second wait before it sent. Love this, since most of my texts are iMessages.

Again, I think iOS6 has improved my 4S. My battery even seems to hold a full charge for a longer period of time, but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet.

I suppose if you have a 4, the update isnt AS GOOD because you don't get all the features like the 4S gets.

But in my opinion, the upgrade is nice.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I see no reason to update except for if you're getting the iPhone 5 then you're forced to. For my iPad 2, iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4S - none will be updated. When I get my iPhone 5, that'll be the only one on 6.0 and only because it comes with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.