Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the largest changes in iOS 6 is Apple's decision to replace its Google-powered Maps app with its own solution powered by a combination of its own work and data licensed from other companies such as TomTom. Throughout the developer beta testing process, numerous users reported on the relatively poor quality of Apple's new maps in many regards, while expressing hope that content would improve heading into the public launch.

Despite some improvements over the past few months, Apple's new Maps app has still been one of the most highly criticized aspects of iOS 6 following its debut yesterday. Users have pointed to inaccuracies in Apple's mapping data, errors in locating points of interest, a lack of transit information, and sometimes-bizarre 3D mapping imagery as major issues with the app.

apple_3d_brooklyn_bridge.jpg

Apple's 3D modeling of the Brooklyn Bridge (Source: @fromedome)
BBC News takes a look at the reception Apple's Maps app is receiving in the United Kingdom, documenting a few of the specific problems reported by its readers:
Among the user complaints regarding Apple's maps sent to the BBC were:

- Some towns appear to be missing, such as Stratford-upon-Avon and Solihull.
- Others, like Uckfield in East Sussex, are in the wrong location.
- Satellite images of various locations, particularly in Scotland, are obscured by cloud.
- A search for Manchester United Football Club directs users to Sale United Football Club, a community team for ages five and above.
- Users also reported missing local places, such as schools, or strange locations. Another screenshot showed a furniture museum that was apparently located in a river.
In one high-visibility case from Ireland, Apple has categorized Dublin's Airfield Park as an actual airport, sparking government officials to contact the company in hopes of addressing the issue.

ios_6_dublin_airfield_park.jpg

Dublin's Airfield Park categorized as an airport
While Apple has been working on its in-house mapping efforts for a number of years as evidenced by a series of acquisitions of small companies working in the market, Google's mapping services have been live for over seven years, allowing the company to build up massive amounts of data and expertise. Consequently, it should come as no surprise that Apple's mapping solutions are not as refined as Google's in many cases, but users have generally been hoping for more from Apple's public launch.

Article Link: Apple's New iOS 6 Maps App Drawing Significant Criticism

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Apparently I live in Duncaster. I object to the lack of spell checking. The satellite map quality is...poor, but I can understand that. Spelling a town's name wrong is just sloppy.

At least it'll get better.

I hope.
After reporting several misspelt place names to Apple months ago during the betas and getting completely ignored, my hopes aren't high for fast fixes.
In fairness it can't get much worse can it? ;-)

everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way
Passbook? Totally - the connection issues are probably excess demand. INaccurate mapping is a totally different issue though.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
everyone and their uncle bogs up the systems yesterday trying to get iOS 6 on the first day, then turns around and tries out Passbook, Maps etc and wonders why things are messed up. couldn't possibly be due to the vastly increased traffic. nope, no way

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I agree that the new maps app kinda sucks. It couldn't even find my local hospital.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I love all of my Apple products and services. I really do. But taking Google Maps away from us (ESPECIALLY MY STREET VIEW!!!), was a big, big mistake since they are obviously not ready for prime time.

And those 3D/Flyover images are ****** scary. It's like I took a good dose of mescaline and now I'm having horrible hacullinations.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I was hoping for more, too. Apple should have the resources to provide high-quality maps on its mobile devices, especially for places that aren't out of the way. Unfortunately, this isn't a matter of correcting s/w bugs - it's all about the mapping data they're using.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I sympathize with those having problems, but Apple Maps have been great for me! I can't tell a difference between them and GMaps. Except Apple Maps is better looking! (again for ME and MY situation).

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
It's a shame they went ahead with introducing this when it clearly isn't ready. Too stubborn to stick with Google any longer than they wanted to.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
As soon as native Google maps is available I'll be happy Apple is throwing their hat into the maps game. But for now I can't rely upon an app that can't find east 12th street in freaking Manhattan...

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Apple has over 100 billion dollars. Why don't they just buy Google Maps and overlay their UI on top of it? Why buy mapping data that is years old?

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007

The maps issues have nothing at all to do with too many people trying to use them.

Mundty

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I haven't had any issues with this app, but I'm sure Maps is one of those things that can be a great experience for one person, and a buggy nightmare for another. The logistics of mapping the world and all the data that's required for turn-by-turn GPS, I'm not surprised the service isn't perfect. We expect polished products from Apple, but I'm guessing this one is just going to take time given the scale and variables related to the project.

section215

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
NYC
It is truly appalling and damages the brand. Not that it will particularly make any difference to sales, but it's just not the quality that I think most have to expect from an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.