Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I've had my 4S since launch and with iOS5 was never able to get location based reminders to work - at all. I could set reminders but they would never function. Upgraded to iOS6 last night and was hoping that now I could get them to work. Well, now when I ask Siri to set a location based reminder I get this error message:

"Your calendar service, which keeps track of your reminders, doesn't allow location-based reminders."

Any thoughts? I've tried changing my default calendars in case that was the problem. Won't work for my gmail calendar, work (outlook) calendar, or iCloud calendar, or "From my Mac" calendar. And yes, I have location services turned on. Anyone have any idea what's wrong here? I'd really like to use this feature as I think it would be very helpful. Thank you.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
You have to disable reminder sync on your Exchange account. Then location based reminders will work. If you enable them on your Exchange account, they won't work, even on other accounts. Weird.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
What happens when you try to create a location-based reminder in the Reminders app?
I read that you could now do location reminders thru the app itself, but I don't see an option to choose the location when creating a reminder in that app.

You have to disable reminder sync on your Exchange account. Then location based reminders will work. If you enable them on your Exchange account, they won't work, even on other accounts. Weird.
THANK YOU!

Took me a second to find that because my "Exchange Account" is Gmail and that option isn't available. My "Work" account (which I renamed) thru Outlook/Exchange however did have that setting. Turned it off and now it'll at least accept my reminder request. Now lets see if it actually works.

However now I'm guessing that since I disabled reminder sync for my work calendar I will no longer get reminders on my phone which were setup at work on my work calendar? I'll test that out. But if it doesn't work then I'm not sure which one I need more. This would literally be two steps forward, two steps back. :mad:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Where is it?

It's in Settings - Mail - <your exchange account> - Reminders. Turn that off.

And no, unfortunately that way reminders created on that account through other means won't be synced to the iPhone, and you won't be reminded. Guess you can't have both. It's a bit stupid if you ask me.

rlsmith75

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
However now I'm guessing that since I disabled reminder sync for my work calendar I will no longer get reminders on my phone which were setup at work on my work calendar? I'll test that out. But if it doesn't work then I'm not sure which one I need more. This would literally be two steps forward, two steps back. :mad:

I believe that I figured out how to get both to work. Just switch your default reminder list in settings to Reminders. I'm not sure if it may also be necessary, but Calendars may need to also be enabled in iCloud settings.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I read that you could now do location reminders thru the app itself, but I don't see an option to choose the location when creating a reminder in that app.

Make the reminder, then press the arrow on the right. Then switch "Remind Me At a Location" to On and choose your location.

qksilver55

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
This worked for me

I went to settings, reminders, default list, then under iCloud, check reminders.

shanezam203

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago

How do I do that? I am having the same ERROR on my iPhone 5 but Never had issues on iPhone 4 or 4s + Exchange...

8006292555_9f07571a04_c.jpg

tomtetom

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Solution

I followed the advice on the link below and it worked on my 4S.

The only additional thing I did was switch off the reminders in all of the other email accounts on my phone where they were activated. I then tried the location based reminders and they worked. I then switched the reminders back on again and the LBR *still* worked!

http://www.40tech.com/2013/01/26/lo...king-in-ios-6-disable-exchange-reminder-sync/

Good luck, hope this helps.

selahvie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Old thread, but just helped me out. I'm surprised the error message isn't more descriptive so you don't have to google it. Even a link straight to mail settings and the offending account would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.