Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I have an iPod touch 4g and the app store has been crashing on me every since I updated to iOS 6. I like the genius feature of the app store but on my device, if I tap on genius it takes a little while and has the loading indicator in the top left of the screen and then the screen goes black and it takes me back to the home screen. I also get crashes when I try to scroll through the list of "see all apps" part of the top charts page when I am scrolling down through the apps. I had a strange encounter when at one time I relaunched the app store and it reverted back to the old iOS 5 app store and the buttons at the bottom were out of order and I was able to go to featured and then the genius button at the top and get to genius just fine. After restarting the device and relaunching the app store it went back to the iOS 6 app store but everything still crashes! :confused: I did the iOS 6 update OTA on wifi. I have tried closing the app store out of the multi-tasking tray and restarting the iPod multiple times.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Same thing is happening to me with iPhone 4S. If I repeat the process, after maybe 4 or 5 tries I eventually get in. Between this, all of the mapping errors, and the Passbook "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" this is a really buggy release.

I mean, I know there will always be some (hopefully minor) bugs, but these are so prominent and many of these were noted during the developer betas. This is ridiculous.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Same thing is happening to me with iPhone 4S. If I repeat the process, after maybe 4 or 5 tries I eventually get in. Between this, all of the mapping errors, and the Passbook "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" this is a really buggy release.

I mean, I know there will always be some (hopefully minor) bugs, but these are so prominent and many of these were noted during the developer betas. This is ridiculous.

Glad I am not the only one having this issue. (Bumping post)

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
I think a lot of people are having issues with the app store so I think we may just have to wait it out until apple fixes their servers or fixes the app store.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Ok, so I am still experiencing crashes all the time on the app store and I have even tried two uncommon fixes which didn't work for me:
1. Go to app store and let it crash. Go to date and time settings and turn off automatic time updating and set the year one year forward. Go to the app store and you will get "Could not connect to the iTunes store". Now go back to time settings and turn automatic time updating and go back to the app store and see if your problem is resolved.
2. Go to Safari settings and clear the history along with cookies and data and restart the device.
I am tempted just to restore the whole thing and see if I can use the app store unless can anyone else come up with a solution?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
think of it like this; the new app store is like that old iphone facebook app.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
think of it like this; the new app store is like that old iphone facebook app.

I have had the Facebook app for a long time and I have never experienced any troubles with it except for features missing that I wish it had. I would rather see Apple put the app store back to the one in iOS 5 which I know they can do because it did it to me already once as described in the post. This is really frustrating!:mad::apple::mad:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I have had the Facebook app for a long time and I have never experienced any troubles with it except for features missing that I wish it had. I would rather see Apple put the app store back to the one in iOS 5 which I know they can do because it did it to me already once as described in the post. This is really frustrating!:mad::apple::mad:

Indeed, go file a complaint/bug report to apple like I did; hopefully they will listen.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It seems device-specific. It works fine on the 4S (according to others), and on the 4, it simply freezes and doesn't crash. I forcefully quit the frozen App Store and opened it again, and now Genius is fine.

However, I've noticed that the scrolling is sometimes not as fluid as you'd expect on an iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 used to be the state-of-the-art smartphone. Maybe Apple makes iOS 6 run slowly on it on purpose? :eek:

Anyway, I sent a bug report to Apple and told them about my first-run bugs in the app and the overall lagginess.

Last edited:

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
This is really ridiculous. As an extra step; I did a full restore on the iPod and the damn app store crashes just as bad as ever. I am calling tech support/customer relations tomorrow. This is completely unacceptable and retarded. I am pissed! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( (Hit smiley limit or else there would be more frowns)

kansasdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I emailed Apple about this 5 days ago...here's what I sent 'On the new iOS6 when I tap/open the App Store and tap/open search and Genius, the App Store crashes/takes me back to the main screen (where all the icons are)'

and here's what they replied with the next day 'Thank you for writing in today! This is Andrew with iTunes Store customer support. I'll be assisting you with your request. I hope that your day is going well so far!

I have read your email, and I understand that you're experiencing some issues with Genius since updating your iPod Touch to iOS 6.

I appreciate you reporting this issue. I have submitted this occurrence for investigation. Apple takes the issues with new software updates seriously and will investigate the issue with Genius, but I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved.

Thank you for being a valued iTunes Store customer. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Andrew
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support'

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well here is an update for the post. After talking about the issue and some other app-related issues to a second-level tech support; they have decided to replace the iPod Touch for free even though the warranty has expired.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Replace the iPod touch?

It's an account / software issue. Not hardware.

When signed in with my account (I have thousands of purchased apps, movies, music, games, etc), I get App Store crashes on the following devices:

iPhone 4S
iPad 2 (GSM)
iPhone 3GS

The same thing happens on each.

App Store -> Genius -> CRASH
App Store -> Purchased -> CRASH

When I sign in with my wife's account on any one of those devices, Genius and Purchased WORK JUST FINE!

It's not the device, it's the account and how iOS 6 handles it.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Same problem, use web to get exact link to app, click it and it will go to app store and load up app your looking for. Only way for now.

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well the tech support person said that it was a known issue however I was having a lot of problems with my iPod so finally he said he would just have it replaced. This is definitely an urgent issue and if you can please go to the Apple feedback page and tell them about the issue or join their support communities and post/reply telling them your issues. The more people who report this very annoying app store bug; the faster it will get fixed.

mrjason

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Doing a IOS 6 restore from the computer has made it better for me, not perfect, but serviceable.

Here's a blog post copy/paste I wrote about my exact symptoms and results after restore:

For weeks the app store has crashed constantly on my iPod Touch 4th gen after the over-the-air IOS 6 update. Restoring the iTouch to a fresh install of 6.0 on iTunes fixed the problem and now the app store works better, not perfect, but better.

Symptoms: I would search for something, and swiping left or right on the cards would crash – sometimes I would be able to see some cards if I let the app sit for a half minute and pre-fetch everything, but when I got to item 24 or so I’d be gauranteed a crash again. I’d have similar problems browsing categories of apps and trying to install them. Sometimes I’d tap the “Free” or “$1.99″ button for an app, and the button label would switch to the size for “install”, but actually be blank… at that point tapping on the button did nothing. Every time I tapped “updates”, then “purchased” to install something my wife had recently put on her iPod – crash.

Attempted Fixes: I run a lean machine, I dont do iCloud, I minimize the number of notification center apps (basically facebook, and mail, that’s about it), and I tried to alleviate the crashes by closing all background apps. No dice. I also tried restarting the device several times, which still did not fix the app store on my device – it was simply messed up.

Device History: This device was a 4.x IOS stock install, updated to 4.2 and/or 4.3 later via computer tethering. Later it was updated to 5.0 via computer, and then to 5.1.1 over-the-air. Finally it was updated to 6.0 over-the-air. I never once restored the iPod to a “fresh” install for any of those versions IOS, and I suspect there was some minor update bug that rears its head when you’ve been through a number of update cycles from version to version in the past without a clean/fresh install.

How to Restore: Restoring your iTouch is easy, you hook it up to your computer, let iTunes backup your apps and app state. You then tap the “restore” button. iTunes will then install a fresh copy of IOS (without retreading upgrade cycle ground), reboot your device, and then put your apps/music/etc and app settings back exactly the way they were before. Before I restored, I backed up my photos, notes, and other things I’d miss if something went wrong, just in case. I’d recommend that you do the same.

What works better: After restoring, I am able to easily navigate hundreds of search result cards deep, and install multiple apps from the categorie top X lists without a crash, but I’m still unable to view previous purchases without a immediate crash. I’ve purchased hundreds of apps over the past few years, so that could have something to do with it. I also still see the button labels being broken after tapping the “Free” price button on apps I’ve never installed before, but now tapping that button a few times after a few seconds eventually flips to “installing” and all is well. I’ve succesfully had the app store running while installing 3 apps, still browsing, an no problem at all – it seems much smoother, but I’m just happy it doesn’t insta-crash when I try to do almost anything anymore.

There are some threads floating around on the issue, and numerous bugs opened on apple’s bug reporting site. I’ve seen some discussions where some users try restore and claim it’s not working well for them, your mileage may vary.

Blog Post Link:

http://www.codercowboy.com/2012/10/29/ios-6-app-store-crash-on-your-ipod-touch-4-restore/

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Bug reported to Apple. Having the issue on an iPad Mini so all this stuff about caching old iOS 4.x and 5.x versions is kak. Not at all chuffed :mad:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
This new App Store is the biggest peace of crap ever. I never go into the store anymore just to check for updated apps. If I want to find a app I use Google then it opens up the crappy App Store to download it. If I try to do anything in the store it just crashes when browsing, scrolling and searching it will eventually black out back to the home screen. Even just reading reviews which is now a PITA it only shows five at a time and why the hell do I have to keep tapping more even if there is only like three words left in the review. Well even reading reviews it blacked out and crashes.

Since iOS 6 I have not bought one app I use to buy them all the time and only downloaded three apps since. If Apple loses money then they deserve every bit of loss. If Steve Jobs were still alive this would have never happened.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
This new App Store is the biggest peace of crap ever. I never go into the store anymore just to check for updated apps. If I want to find a app I use Google then it opens up the crappy App Store to download it. If I try to do anything in the store it just crashes when browsing, scrolling and searching it will eventually black out back to the home screen. Even just reading reviews which is now a PITA it only shows five at a time and why the hell do I have to keep tapping more even if there is only like three words left in the review. Well even reading reviews it blacked out and crashes.

Since iOS 6 I have not bought one app I use to buy them all the time and only downloaded three apps since. If Apple loses money then they deserve every bit of loss. If Steve Jobs were still alive this would have never happened.

Hey, I'm curious if 5.1 was smoother than 5.1.1 on your touch 4g? I have touch 4g on 5.1.1 now and to me 5.1 seemed more smoother with no Safari crashes. Should I restore and set up as new?

I believe the main reason it crashes so often on iOS6 is this:

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.