Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Networking company Sandvine today took a look (via The Loop) at Apple's iTunes Store and Mac App Store traffic yesterday as compared to the previous two Wednesdays, noting that traffic spiked to nine times it usual levels with the release of iOS 6, OS X 10.8.2, and a host of other updates from Apple.
See that huge spike at 1:00PM EDT yesterday? That is when iOS 6 was officially released to the public. This massive increase in traffic was then sustained throughout most of the day, and actually escalated as people got home from work in the evening. This resulted in traffic from Apple's servers yesterday being over 9 times their average traffic levels.
ios_6_apple_web_traffic.jpg

Sandvine's measurements capture data from fixed access cable and DSL networks, thus including direct downloads through iTunes and the Mac App Store as well as users who updated their iOS devices using the over-the-air update functionality on their Wi-Fi networks. iOS 6 is the first major iOS upgrade to be supported by the over-the-air update feature that debuted with iOS 5.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes and Mac App Store Traffic Increases Ninefold for iOS 6 Launch Day

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
What causes that little spike at 5am?

That could be the fact that a lot of new app updates were coming through.

The rest of it was me trying to get my TomTom app (Europe v1.11) working by deleting and reinstalling several times in different ways, as it keeps crashing on launch. Update on Sept 28th, apparently. In the meantime I have Apple Maps, but where I'm going tomorrow, apparently am meeting friends in the middle of a field.

Can anyone suggest a free nav app? For the UK?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
This says that the word of iOS 6 being released yesterday got out to the public very well.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Despite the huge spike in traffic, I must say downloading the update to iOS and apps was a LOT smoother than prior iOS releases.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
That could be the fact that a lot of new app updates were coming through.

The rest of it was me trying to get my TomTom app (Europe v1.11) working by deleting and reinstalling several times in different ways, as it keeps crashing on launch. Update on Sept 28th, apparently. In the meantime I have Apple Maps, but where I'm going tomorrow, apparently am meeting friends in the middle of a field.

Can anyone suggest a free nav app? For the UK?

Try Waze.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Damn! What is Apple thinkin? Is this maps fiasco some kind of sick joke?

Please, Google, help us, ASAP!
And I think we deserve an explanation from Apple!

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
OS X download went slow for me. Same with iPhoto, over an hour on a 20 mbit connection So, not good enough apple! Steve would never have allowed this!

What causes that little spike at 5am?

I've been using a data tracking app for the last couple months. One thing I've been surprised by is how all through the night my iPhone is constantly using not only WiFi but also cellular data. And there are highs and lows. Here was last night (central time). I've removed the apps (mail, pulse news, and skype all ping all night long) to leave you with iOS related things.

2am
OS Services- 19kb (WiFi)
DataAccess- 17kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 1kb- (cellular)
OS services- 0.8kb (cellular)

3am
OS Services- 51kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 16kb (cellular)
OS Services- 2kb (cellular)
apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

4am
OS Services- 77kb (wifi)
Data Access 24kb (cellular)
apple push service- 1kb (cellular)

5am
OS Services- 54kb (wifi)
dataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 19kb (cellular)

6am
OS Services- 59kb (wifi)
Synched defaults- 6kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 25kb (cellular)
OS Services- 8kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

Sure enough there seems to be a spike in "OS Services" at 4am (5am eastern). I'm guessing thats a time apple picked to push out more stuff. Probably because they figure most everyone will be sleeping (2am-5am across the US)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

hundreds of thousands of folks on the servers downloading or trying out iOS 6 is about all the explanation you'll get from Apple.

Fel08

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009

Apple's excuse will probably be

"You are holding it wrong"

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
One of these days Apple is going to break the internet.

Surprised they haven't implemented something to stagger the downloading of new software when there is a major release coming up. Maybe partially downloading iOS in the background in the weeks leading up to it then patching it with a small update on the day.

Come iOS 7 we could be talking about 100 million people all hitting the download button within 24 hours. Added to which are all the updated apps.

They did do a good job this time, a lot quicker than previous big release days.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm partly to blame for the 7-8pm traffic. I had 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and one MacBook Pro going, all at the same time.

----------

I've been using a data tracking app for the last couple months. One thing I've been surprised by is how all through the night my iPhone is constantly using not only WiFi but also cellular data. And there are highs and lows. Here was last night (central time). I've removed the apps (mail, pulse news, and skype all ping all night long) to leave you with iOS related things.

2am
OS Services- 19kb (WiFi)
DataAccess- 17kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 1kb- (cellular)
OS services- 0.8kb (cellular)

3am
OS Services- 51kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 16kb (cellular)

4am
OS Services- 77kb (wifi)
Data Access 24kb (cellular)
apple push service- 1kb (cellular)

5am
OS Services- 54kb (wifi)
dataAccess- 18kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 19kb (cellular)

6am
OS Services- 59kb (wifi)
Synched defaults- 6kb (wifi)
DataAccess- 25kb (cellular)
OS Services- 8kb (cellular)
Apple push service- 0.8kb (cellular)

Sure enough there seems to be a spike in "OS Services" at 4am (5am eastern). I'm guessing thats a time apple picked to push out more stuff. Probably because they figure most everyone will be sleeping (2am-5am across the US)

Cool stuff. And here I thought my phone was being lazy all night.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Despite the huge spike in traffic, I must say downloading the update to iOS and apps was a LOT smoother than prior iOS releases.

Agreed. I was thinking about that yesterday, after updating my iMac, MacBook Air, and three iDevices - they all went smoothly, and I was impressed that Apple's systems were finally robust enough to handle everything.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Can't DL Mountain Lion

I had to do a restore of my MacBook Pro and the App store Mountain Lion download stalls out every 5 minutes.

Kind of wish there was a DVD in these cases. I have fiber internet with 50/50 speeds. MY end is not the issue, but Apple's data center is borked.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
sooo annoying, i keep getting errors and "EVENTUALLY" make it through after hitting the download button 3840380 times.

and if it wasnt bad enough, the One Direction itunes concert starts to stream soon. teens all over the world r gonna take down the servers for good :eek:

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
As the Captain of the Titanic said, it's every man for himself! I read that OS6 was available at 12:50 Eastern and immediately started to download on both iPhone and iPad. It took about 45 minutes to download and reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.