Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid major criticism of Apple's new Maps app for iOS 6 that replaces the Google-powered app included on the iPhone since 2007, multiple sources are now reporting that Google already has a separate Maps app for iOS ready to go and in fact already submitted to Apple.

The first report comes by way of The Guardian, which says that Google is indeed preparing its own Maps app for iOS 6.
Google, I hear from roundabout sources, is enjoying the bad press Apple is suffering. It would be surprising if its mappers could resist some schadenfreude, since they are very proud of their work; having it rejected wholesale must be galling.

The same sources say that Google is preparing a Google Maps app for iOS6, which will appear in time. No official statement has been made and there will inevitably be questions over whether Apple will approve it in the App Store. (Apple might not, on the basis that it "competes with existing functionality", but would invite a further backlash if it did.)
The Guardian's report was tweeted by well-connected iOS developer Steve Troughton-Smith, who added a "Yep" to the assertion and framed it as if the app has already been submitted to Apple.

google_maps_ios_6_yep.jpg

9to5Mac has also weighed in with its own claims that Google has had a standalone version of its Maps app for iOS for a number of years and that an iOS 6-compatible version has indeed been submitted to the App Store.

Finally, TechCrunch is also claiming that a Google app is in the works, with the company aiming to have it available on the App Store "before Christmas". Apple has, however, been known to hold other Google apps in limbo for extended periods of time, so it remains to be seen if and when Google's solution will be available as an alternative to the built-in Maps app from Apple in iOS 6.

Update: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple, who is well sourced at Apple, pours a bit of water on the story that Google has submitted its own Maps app to Apple.

Article Link: Google Said to Have Already Submitted Native iOS Maps App to Apple [Updated]

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
ok i have one rule about this and every other part of iOS. IF THERE IS ALTERNATIVE TO A PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ANY MONEY, DON'T FU**IN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! For example, no native youtube app built in, or even maps because there are web apps and other services that work just as well.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
And now google can control and update the maps app at their own discretion. Better for everyone.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
If it is as good as the new YouTube app from google is, I will probably make this my primary map app until Apple sorts everything out.

I live in a major metro and I don't own a car, so the turn by turn Siri stuff means much less to me than public transit and walking directions do.

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
They gonna keep shooting themselves in the foot? FFS, get your act together, Apple, and don't release a product until it's ready, and furthermore don't deny a competitor a fair advantage because you messed up. This is why I despise the closed garden system...

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
If Apple really keeps Google Maps in approval hell for the next 2/3 months, there will be a very nasty backlash which will mean their entire approval process will be under a very public microscope once again.

I doubt they'll want that.

simonb76

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Apple, at least give us customers a choice of map apps or a tech note on how to downgrade to iOS5.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
But will it offer turn by turn?

EDIT: I understand it doesn't matter to some people, since their maps have been crappy. But my local maps have been fine

rasm0225

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Great - I miss the bus feature

I'm really happy to hear this. I was very frustrated to see the walk/car/bus option missing. And it seems like it may be quite a while before Apple prioritizes this feature over so many other bugs and issues.

BTW - This is my first post ever!

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I think Apple will eventually get there. Don't forget that Google got a 7 year head start and I think that for a first product Apple actually did very well.

But the feature I used the most was StreetView so the Google Maps app is very welcome indeed.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
If apple don't approve it? Well, it could be bad for them, and lets hope they know that. The best thing they can do is swallow their pride, admit they did an abysmal job of the maps app and approve googlemaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.