Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Critic121

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Upgrade PPC to Intel

Instead of trying to upgrade the hardware, how about upgrading the software? I am having problems with the javascript which can not get to update the OS X.4.11. I had the same problem with the flash player also, but managed to download one from (http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash) a compatible player for this system, but it is slow and the picture tends to jump, the sound is okay. Any ideas in getting softwares to help this os system, especially in dealing with the internet and YouTube?

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Instead of trying to upgrade the hardware, how about upgrading the software? I am having problems with the javascript which can not get to update the OS X.4.11. I had the same problem with the flash player also, but managed to download one from (http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash) a compatible player for this system, but it is slow and the picture tends to jump, the sound is okay. Any ideas in getting softwares to help this os system, especially in dealing with the internet and YouTube?

Have you seen how old this thread is? :p

I'm pretty sure the OP has saved up and bought an intel mac by now. ;)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Why? Because they would lose a sale of a complete new machine ... they get more $ that way

No. They do sell the parts, it's called an Intel Mac Pro or an iMac. You think Apple had the Intel transition in mind when they engineered the G5 Mac Pro?

You can upgrade your G5 to Intel, just keep the enclosure and cram a PC MoBo and parts into it.

EDIT: Damn, totally didn't realize this is a Zombie thread.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
No. They do sell the parts, it's called an Intel Mac Pro or an iMac. You think Apple had the Intel transition in mind when they engineered the G5 Mac Pro?

You can upgrade your G5 to Intel, just keep the enclosure and cram a PC MoBo and parts into it.

EDIT: Damn, totally didn't realize this is a Zombie thread.

Maybe they need to update the forum so that you could see in the thread list that a thread was more than a year or so old. Perhaps a small icon with a Z? It bugs me when I opened this thread, thinking "Oh god, not that again".

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Ppc a2

I am not sure about this at all. But it may be possible to put in a PowerPC A2 if they use the same socket. It would not run mac osx or windows, though only raw unix or yellow dog linux.

krugenheim

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
powerpc to intel

I also bought a powerpc several years ago. paid way too much now in retrospect. I have other machines to not to concerned but was thinking of buying a mac mini intel and just using the power pc as a target drive. any thoughts?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I also bought a powerpc several years ago. paid way too much now in retrospect. I have other machines to not to concerned but was thinking of buying a mac mini intel and just using the power pc as a target drive. any thoughts?

It is possible to do it that way to get the extra storage, but you cannot use it that way to boot your Mac mini from the PowerPC Mac.
If you just want to have access to the storage, it might be more cost conscious to extract the HDDs and put them into an enclosure, as running the PowerPC Mac is more expensive than just running the HDDs in an enclosure, from a electric bill perspective.

krugenheim

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
using both operating systems

I was hoping this might llow me to use both operating systems in parallel. Would need a way to switch between the two,

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was hoping this might llow me to use both operating systems in parallel. Would need a way to switch between the two,

Then get a KVM switch for the keyboard, mouse and monitor and run both at the times you need and use that switch to change the input source for the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
Or connect both via LAN cable and use screen sharing and connect the monitor to the primary computer.

canhoto

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
"Is there a way to upgrade my PowerPC Mac G5 to an Intel chipset?"

Simple, direct answer:
No.
No way, no how.
Not possible.

If you want Intel, you have to _buy_ Intel Mac. There is no "conversion path" upwards to one.

What an applesque answer. Yeah, you're outdated, BUY, BUY, just BUY for Apple's profit's sake

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What an applesque answer. Yeah, you're outdated, BUY, BUY, just BUY for Apple's profit's sake

This thread started in 2009. In 2013 you'd have very little in the way of usable guts. Even the display components would be potentially on their way out. Why would someone try to retrofit the case with all new insides rather than give the original to someone who would use it in its current state? There isn't anything wrong with old computers. It's just that this is typically a misguided attempt to save money. If you want to build your own box, you are far better off starting with non oem parts.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
It is possible to do it that way to get the extra storage, but you cannot use it that way to boot your Mac mini from the PowerPC Mac.
If you just want to have access to the storage, it might be more cost conscious to extract the HDDs and put them into an enclosure, as running the PowerPC Mac is more expensive than just running the HDDs in an enclosure, from a electric bill perspective.

Hey simsalad, how much would you estimate it costs me a year in electricity to have my g5 ppc tower on like 3/4 of the year? I live in south Alabama, i imagine our rates are relatively low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.