Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
As the title states, my auto brightness on my phone as well as my wife's does not work at all. It has been driving us crazy all day! Is anybody else having the same problem?

-Matt

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Me too!

Right now I am typing up this reply in total darkness and I had to manually reduce the brightness because the screen did not auto dim as it should.

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
on a 4S, auto brightness works! in fact, it's a step ahead of you! Auto brightness is set right when you press Sleep button, before you even unlock the phone! awesome!

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Isn't working on my iPod Touch 4G either... but I guess it's better I get use to it, apparently the 5th gen doesn't have an ambient light sensor...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's erratic on my 4S. Sometimes I see it work, but I have trouble forcing it too work.

On 5.1.1 it would brighten but not darken (I thought that was normal and have had a lot of people verify it). When I updated to 6 I actually saw it darken and thought that was nice. But I can't make it do it all the time.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
A week ago, my auto-brightness was NOT working at all. The screen was blinding me when I was reading in total darkness (did not dim down when it should).

A week later last night, I am starting to see auto brightness working (i.e dimming in dark areas and brightening up in bright areas). Did the auto brightness fix it self?

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
It's a glitch in iOS 6. Even when I was running the betas it was buggy. They are trying to do a true form of Auto Brightness where the slider moves in conjunction with the ambient light sensor's detection of light.

When it works (rarely) the device actually auto brightens and auto dims while the screen is active, which is different from iOS 5 which detected brightness immediately upon unlocking the device and leaving brightness at the same level regardless of changes to ambient light.

For iOS 6, if you go to settings and reset All Settings, it will fix the issue (at least I have not had it return).

I hope that Apple fixes this bug with an update soon, because their intentions are there with trying to fix auto brightness once and for all but it broke the system for now.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I got the Auto-Brightness thing Figured out. Work around the bug.

When it does work (like after resetting the settings as suggested by gforce216), there are still issues. Here's what I found:

(1) If I go from dark to bright place when 4s is on, the screen immediately brightens up (GOOD)
(2) If I go from bright to dark place when 4s is on, the screen takes a very long time to darken down (BAD). Screen dimming may take a few minutes! By then, my eyes have already adapted to the the darkness but the screen is still super bright. :-(

AUTO BRIGHTNESS BUG WORK AROUND: If you are going from bright to dark place (#2 above), you need to turn off the 4s and turn it back on in the dark place. Turning off/on resets the brightness level and adjusts it to the lighting of the location you are in.

This will work until apple fixes the bug. Meanwhile, saves you the hassle on fumbling with the brightness level slider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.