Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
But wedding rings aren't anodized black.

But if we play your game let's also remember wedding rings can be polished, and typically made from very durable, hard and scratch resistant metals

My 9 month old wedding band still looks shiny, and the scratches aren't particularly visible.
Also, most people plan on wearing their wedding rings until they die, but their iPhones will be up on eBay within 11mo. (Well, that's the plan at least)

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Silver worn edges will give your phone character.

BUT, it is going to be a MAJOR problem for the OCD members in this forum.

The anodized surface will wear off on the edge just putting in and out of your pocket.

The aluminum is soft and the black finish is only micron thick, what did you expect!

A quality built product!! :eek:

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
When I got there, was told to call up cause it was a web order :(
Was told that I could either get a refund, or a replacement, which means that i'll be a couple weeks without the phone (need to send it back by courier too, they'll come to my place- which means another day off work, can't even drop it off at post office!!)

Apple really are pissing me off, if I didn't invest lots of time and money (apps etc.) with apple, I would totally get an s3 instead...

You can give them a cc number to have the new phone shipped then send the old one back when you get it. They won't charge the card it's simply in case you don't return the defective one.

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
People wouldn't buy a black Lamborghini and expect it to be marked or mark after a few hours use. iPhone is seen as the Lamborghini of phones.

For someone who hates sratching things and is overprotective of marking valuables, this has really put me off the black and I've never been a fan of the white.

People who say 'ahh it's fine, just a few marks' clearly have no sense.

Quite frankly, phones having marks on them before being opened is totally unacceptable and phones being marked after a few hours use is also totally unacceptable.

The black is the main device, and it looks amazing, but it's fallen at the first hurdle.

iPhone the Lamborghini of phones? In what world do you live in where a bunch of people you know have lambos?

and how do I get there? :]

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Make up some other fault like 'my signal disappeares randomly during the day' . . .and get a replacement later in the year.

don't need right away but if one get faulty want replaced down road.

----------

I think im going to go into an apple store when they open at 8 and see how they look in person and make a gut decision.
good luck wit that one..

black-friday-apple-sales-figures1.jpg

PS65

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom
grow up.

Dropping 700 pounds on an item that looses it paint in a day is not OCD.

Imagine how it will look after a week/month.

here is what happens to PVD/DLC watches... and this is after a long time, not a day

My Hublot is PVD, and it does't have this issue. Just saying... :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
ScuffGate

We all know Apple will try to cover this up. They will take some units back and then take a hard fast stand. I vote class action now. Who is with me?

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
bodyguardz

Doed anyone now if the full body iphone 5 clearskins of bodyguardz will cover the chamfer as wel?

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
i guess I'm probably in the minority but is it really a big deal if you have one scuff?
I mean, it's gonna happen.
and when things are being mass produced the way the iphones are, not everything can be perfect.

with that being said, apple will address it..
This won't be as easy as a fix as the deathgrip problem..

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I absolutely love some of the comments here; "this is getting serious", "this is a nightmare", etc. So much drama!

You, there is nothing there but a blurry pic of a phone.

I see what you're saying but again, that is what the people do. Instead of enjoying the phone they pull out their 100x microscope and check for flaws.
I, on the other hand, welcome the returns to the refurb store!

that better phone ya? out of the box...

http://postimage.org/image/7nb1zvmdx/

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
We need to bring back the down vote for things like this. People calling for class action lawsuits already? This isn't a functional issue like the iPhone 4 antenna was (and even that wasn't as big a deal as was made out to be as it is still for sale as is).

A court in California threw out a class action lawsuit on the 4 and 4S that complained about cracked screens. The ruling boiled down to "glass breaks." Well, anodized aluminum scratches. Anyone who owns an anodized aluminum skillet knows as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.