Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
They would return it either way if it was this soon

True enough. You always have 14 days as long as it's "mint" and has all the original materials. But I've made up my mind to return it no matter what so I may as well return it right away. And with it still sealed in the box the "mint" requirement can't possibly be called into question (not that it would anyway... but as I say... if I'm gonna return it anyway... may as well keep it sealed).

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Just to be crystal clear, how long after we receive the phone do we have to have it exchanged at an Apple store, no questions asked?

14 days? 30 days? I don't want a refund, but I may want it exchanged.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
The issue for me is this: Where I live, AppleCare+ is not available. The regular AppleCare doesn't cover scratches. I have 14 days to decide whether to return it or not.

If Apple were to acknowledge this and this were covered under regular AppleCare I wouldn't have to worry about it.
A claim like this has nothing to do with apple care. it has to do with the law on the warranty provided without apple care. It is a returnable in exchange for new issue.

The pictures on the apple promotional and sales material don't show scratches. you received one out of the boxes with scratches. You already have a valid claim on repair or replacement with new.

Take a picture, make a claim today to Apple and your provider. It has nothing to do with applecare

section215

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
NYC
everyone planning to return, are you going to ask for white models instead? presumably all the black models are going to either have these scuffs out of the box or develop them with extremely light use.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Just to be crystal clear, how long after we receive the phone do we have to have it exchanged at an Apple store, no questions asked?

14 days? 30 days? I don't want a refund, but I may want it exchanged.
Make a claim right away, then there is NO 14 or 30 day limit. Make in an email or call to apple with an offer to provide pictures or a trip to the store ASAP. Then there is no time limit should new in box replacement not be available for even 60 days. They still must give you one or repair it to absolute pristine condition

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
This just in...

iPhone5 Defect Causes Global Crisis

San Francisco, CA - In a shocking turn of events today, the worldwide roll-out of Apple's new iPhone5 has caused wide-ranging social disturbances due to an unforeseen manufacturing defect. As the dateline of availability has swept westward across the globe, large crowds of new iPhone5 owners have streamed into public squares to protest, such as in front of the Sydney Opera House, where the massive crowd is estimated to be at least 23 teenagers.

One new owner characterized the manufacturing flaw as "this goopy paint job they used on the black cases". He went on to explain that "mate, this crap just peels right off. I waited in line at the Apple store for 3 weeks for this, and I spent a huge amount of my parent's money on it, and now it's all ruined! Shame on Apple! I'll never buy another product from Apple!. Well, maybe the mini-iPad when that comes out, but no more after that! I promise!" He also said that he would return his new phone for a white model, even though "I heard the white one reduces your testosterone level, but I don't care! I'm a college student. I have plenty to spare!"

Psychologist Alan Turing, of the Australian Mental Health Society, said a number of new social ills have arisen because of this defect. "We have been seeing reports of a rapid increase in problems for these new owners within their social circles, including higher unpopularity rates, increased sniping from their BFFs, girlfriends just walking away from their boyfriends, and long-term sleeplessness. I have also seen first-hand where many people have been fired from their jobs when their employers saw their new silver-edged black iPhone5."

Membership has surged in the newly-formed support group for unhappy iPhone5 owners, called the Disaffected iPhone Society (DiPS). "We encourage people who are dissatisfied with their new iPhones to visit our website, GTFU.ORG, to share their tragic stories with others in the same unfortunate circumstance," said Harley Whinemeister, spokesman for DiPS.

Apple did not respond to requests for information for this article, but did say on their website that "Users will be entranced with the experience of using their iPhone5 in the wild. The special anodizing process has enabled a new world of puffery and bloviating for mobile devices. Remember, every scratch tells a story."

Further details on this pandemic will be made available as they become known.

iTalk

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
ORD
I cancelled my pre-order for the black and got a white at the local Verizon store. Too bad, because the black looks stunning :(

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can see it now.

Lots of idiots that put their phone in their pocket with keys and coins, scratching their phone up all to hell, then running to the Apple store to return their phone and swearing up and down that it came that way.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not a bad idea, but I think there will be enough that they will have to acknowledge the issue

That may be true. However, one might run into a stressed out customer service rep (or newbie), that could potentially make things harder than they need to be. The other side of the coin is, there will be people who will attempt to abuse the return system, (if this turns out to be wide-spread) by attempting to return phone(s) that were damaged by their own doing, in an attempt to get a new one. One may never need to use the video as backup. But, it is better to have it and not need it, than to ride the merry-go-round.

Just my newbie thoughts.

WalterWright

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I know I'm a newbie here, but browse often. Got my iPhone 5 at lunch, opened the box and the top is scuffed. I know it's not the end of the world, but, it's annoying at best. No stock left in Berlin apparently.

Pic evidence:
34g8ygl.jpg

Will email Apple and hope for a fix. Got told I'd have to wait 4 weeks for a replacement by Deutsche Telekom - no thanks.

ap4lifetn

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
just received my phone

there is a scratch near the sleep button, obviously its scuffed and feels rough there right out of the box

on the left side, there is a white spot on the band on the side of the sim card slot, its not a scuff, but looks as if someone didn't paint it there.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I can see it now.
Lots of idiots that put their phone in their pocket with keys and coins, scratching their phone up all to hell, then running to the Apple store to return their phone and swearing up and down that it came that way.

So are you saying foxconn workers were carrying around the iphone 5s and damaged those sold as new with their keys? Nice try at belittling a serious issue which would be a cause for a claim with any pruduct.

people are talking about scratched phones IN THE BOX. My two blacks are both scratched in the box. If you think you would not have a valid claim if it were a car or a laptop you are wrong.

it is a serious issue.

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
Just got my 64gb, flawless out of the box.

Not saying its going to stay like that even with glove-like handling. A week or two will tell, though I'm not getting my hopes too high.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Do you call apple for a claim? Or the store? My 32 gb arrived just now not sure to even open it because I don't want to pay another activation fee if I swap phones over and over? Or should I open it and use it for a couple weeks & see how it holds up?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Apple is selling the "iScuff Protection Kit" for only $29.95. I have my hands on an advanced copy of it. Here it is:

BlackSharpie.png

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I'm surprised Jony Ive would let this go. The first thought I had when I saw the unveiling was... black anodized aluminum? That's going to scratch. Actually it wouldn't have been that bad without the chamfer... if the edge was rounded and bear blasted... but with that sharp polished edge it's completely unavoidable. A better option would have been black and silver but black windows in a silver back would look weird... or you could go with white windows in the back but that would be odd as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.