Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Hey all, just curious if anyone else has this problem.

UPS just delivered my shiny new iPhone 5, the instant I had it in hand I could feel and hear something rattling inside it. Not sure what but there's a significant amount of weight moving about so I'm assuming it has to be the battery. The phone fires up okay and there's no damage to the case that I can see so I'm assuming manufacturing defect, probably with the glue that holds the battery down.

Got an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow but thought I'd see if this is a one off or not?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Hey all, just curious if anyone else has this problem.

UPS just delivered my shiny new iPhone 5, the instant I had it in hand I could feel and hear something rattling inside it. Not sure what but there's a significant amount of weight moving about so I'm assuming it has to be the battery. The phone fires up okay and there's no damage to the case that I can see so I'm assuming manufacturing defect, probably with the glue that holds the battery down.

Got an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow but thought I'd see if this is a one off or not?

is it the camera lens? tap the back around the apple logo and move toward the camera lens with light taps. Does it increase or decrease?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
is it the camera lens? tap the back around the apple logo and move toward the camera lens with light taps. Does it increase or decrease?

Nope. It's lower down that that and a real, uh, 'deep' noise when you shake it. Must be something relatively heavy. From the iFixit teardown it feels like it's coming from the side of the phone where the battery lives... Maybe I'll take some superglue with me to the Apple store tomorrow and they can fix it there and then :p

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Nope. It's lower down that that and a real, uh, 'deep' noise when you shake it. Must be something relatively heavy. From the iFixit teardown it feels like it's coming from the side of the phone where the battery lives... Maybe I'll take some superglue with me to the Apple store tomorrow and they can fix it there and then :p

It COULD be the switch back to rotational motor with a counterweight for the vibration.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-5-Teardown/10525/4#s38304

TheMagicPirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Mine doen't rattle, but if I tap the top 'bar' on the back of the phone I can hear what I assume to be the camera lens hitting off the glass either side of it.

Not something my iPhone 4 did so I'm a little worried I must admit.

Just tired this and the 'rattle' does get louder the closer to the lens I get.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just so you know, you will get an email about your Genius Bar appointment being cancelled due to the iPhone 5 release weekend

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Because it feels like it has weight, yeah, it's probably the battery. I had an iPhone 4 that had that same kind of thing going. Eventually took it in and the guy opened it up in the back.

He came back out and said they failed to pull the strip off the adhesive for the battery and it was sliding around a bit. He replaced the unit because he didn't feel comfortable about what might have happened from the rattling around.

Fwiw.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Keep in mind that the camera has some asinine number of loose lenses in it that WILL bang around to a certain extent and sound something like tiny marbles (like the 4s). This is my experience with my 4s. I sent the first one back out of concern. the next one didn't do it NEARLY as bad, but still rattled around a bit. Every single other 4s I put my hands on has a rattle of some extent coming from the camera area.

I expect no less with the iPhone 5 since it has more lenses now than the 4s did (doesn't it?).

It should be pretty easy to discern if it's coming from the camera area or somewhere else.

Frasern1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
North Carolina
Keep in mind that the camera has some asinine number of loose lenses in it that WILL bang around to a certain extent and sound something like tiny marbles (like the 4s). This is my experience with my 4s. I sent the first one back out of concern. the next one didn't do it NEARLY as bad, but still rattled around a bit. Every single other 4s I put my hands on has a rattle of some extent coming from the camera area.

I expect no less with the iPhone 5 since it has more lenses now than the 4s did (doesn't it?).

It should be pretty easy to discern if it's coming from the camera area or somewhere else.
No they both use the same amount. 5 or whatever it was.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
More than likely the "old" new vibration motor.

I'm as close to sure as I can be that it's not. If I shake the phone side to side you can feel whatever it is in there bouncing around and off the case. Weight seems to be almost directly centre and slightly offset to the left and I can hear it shifting within the case, not just moving on a spindle. I've owned an iPhone 4 which I believe had the rotational motor and never noticed a thing. This is moving enough that you can feel a weight shift just while holding the phone and moving it to your ear.

----------

Because it feels like it has weight, yeah, it's probably the battery. I had an iPhone 4 that had that same kind of thing going. Eventually took it in and the guy opened it up in the back.

He came back out and said they failed to pull the strip off the adhesive for the battery and it was sliding around a bit. He replaced the unit because he didn't feel comfortable about what might have happened from the rattling around.

Fwiw.

That's about what I figure to be honest. See what happens tomorrow.

To those suggesting the camera area, appreciated but this isn't something that I have to hold the phone right next to my ear in a quiet room to hear. This is a big, heavy rattle and I can feel weight shifting around inside the phone, can't see any way the lens could be causing it. Thanks for the suggestion though :D

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Something is loose in my iPhone 5.

Feels like the battery is loose, every time I move the phone I can feel something large move, its more of a thud rather than a rattle. Anyone experiencing something similar? I made an appointment with the Genius bar tomorrow.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4324527?start=0&tstart=0

***UPDATE***

I just got home and opened mine up. I discovered that the battery was not firmly pressed into its adhesive. After pressing down the battery the iPhone is solid and silent, hopefully it remains this way, but I have my doubts since the adhesive was exposed to air while the battery was not firmly attached.

As most people do not have the tools to perform this repair, a pentalobe screwdriver, I recommend bringing the phone to your local genius bar for repair.

I made a video of the before and after.

http://youtu.be/LHoH-RnNr4w

Last edited:

EricSjos

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2012
After seeing all these posts about rattling coming from inside the phone and people finding chips/scuffs on the edges, I'm kinda afraid to open my box when I get home from work.

That definitely sounds like something they should replace though.

darwynn

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Sadly, I have the same issue. Everything is functional though. At this point, I don't know how long I'd have to wait for a replacement if I have to exchange it.

Electa

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
It is the loose ringer switch on the left hand side of the phone. I have the same 'problem'.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Could be the sleep wake button. Try holding it down and see if the phone makes any noise.

If your sleep wake button is loose or has some play, its normal. Some iPhones are like that, and some are not.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I'm in this same boat... I uploaded a quick YouTube video.

http://youtu.be/5qctM18D4RI

Doubt very seriously that I'm gonna get a replacement any time soon, but calling Apple Store nearest me now to see. Grr.

----------

its the autofocus lens its normal.

I got three phones on my account today, one rattles and two don't ... so either I've got two broken autofocus lenses, or there's something wrong with the ONE phone. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.