Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Thx from me too!
Hey no problem. It's funny, I had the problem on my iMac, but not on my Mac Mini. Maybe it's due to the fact I did a fresh Mountain Lion install on the mini, and not on the iMac. Who knows?

Thanks too Mr. McMac. I had the same problem with Aperture. I delete the aperture one and it fixed it.

Whenever I have a problem with an app, I delete the plist file associated with it. It usually works. Glad it worked for you :)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
After the upgrade to 9.4 last night, this morning I found that if I tried to synch my iPad with photos, I would get error code 1140. With photos turned off, no error code. Also with Photos turned on, I could not select which iPhoto albums to push to the iPad.

Solution: Hold down Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. You should get a dialog box of repair tools. The first one is to check and repair file permissions. The permissions tool found i had a problem and fixed it. After that, iTunes could synch the iPhoto albums I selected to my iPad.

I tried that last night and it didn't help. Even tried the other repair options. I can't sync any photos now to any IOS devices - including the iPhone 5...

Kimba

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
Ventura County, California
I am surprised that I haven't seen many people complaining about it.....
There are several threads about problems with iPhoto 9.4 on the Apple Support Communities forum. Here's the one that was the most helpful to me:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4315650?tstart=0
After I upgraded to 9.4 I couldn't sync photos with my iPod. Instead, I got an 1140 error. In addition, I could only select to sync all photos. My old setting of syncing my last three events was grayed out.
I was able to fix it by deleting com.apple.iPhoto.plist in library/preferences, then restarting iPhoto
Didn't work for me. :(
Solution: Hold down Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. You should get a dialog box of repair tools. The first one is to check and repair file permissions. The permissions tool found i had a problem and fixed it. After that, iTunes could synch the iPhoto albums I selected to my iPad.
Alas, didn't work for me either. :( Some of the other threads said changing "&" to "&" in the iPhoto AlbumData.xml file would fix the problem. Again, that didn't work for me.
I had to revert back to iPhoto 9.3.2 from my time machine backup and restore an older picture file.
This was the only solution that worked for me. Now, everything works fine again.

Last edited:

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Mine doesn't crash, but it messes up the Events in ITunes again... Arghhhh

My Events are messed up too. I have a couple random pictures that I deleted/trashed that have shown up in Photos on my iOS devices are separate Events but they're not in iPhoto (so I can't delete them).

Has this bug happened before and does anyone know how I get rid of these 'ghost pictures' that are causing my OCD to flare up? Haha.

jsg26

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I had the same issue when upgrading to iPhoto 9.4 (OS X 10.8.2) but rather than delete the .plist file, I repaired disk permissions in Disk Utility. Easy!:cool:

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I had the same issue when upgrading to iPhoto 9.4 (OS X 10.8.2) but rather than delete the .plist file, I repaired disk permissions in Disk Utility. Easy!:cool:

So you just repaired the disk permissions throughout your entire Mac and it fixed the issues in iPhoto?

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
After some serious digging around inside the iPhoto Library file, I have come to some conclusions...

*** Fair warning - don't mess around with your iPhoto library file unless you know what you are doing and have a good backup!

For reference, my iPhoto library is about 49GB with about 9,000 photos.

In my case, the sync problem came from an issue with the AlbumData.xml file. This is a big (11.6MB!) text file with information on all of your events, albums, etc.

If you remove this file, iPhoto will recreate it - it is generated from other information in your library. The file is used to share information about your iPhoto Library with other iLife applications.

Removing this file allowed me to sync photos, and select events in iTunes.

Relaunching iPhoto recreated the file - and blocks the sync again. obviously something is up with this file for me.

Since the file is recreated in iPhoto all the time, you can't really fix anything by editing the file. You need to find out what is causing the (unknown problem) to begin with.

Like alot of you, I have had iPhoto for a long time, and my library has been upgraded many times. I think this leaves alot of junk in the library that never seems to get cleaned up.

I actually created an empty iPhoto library for comparison, and I could see right away lots of aliases and empty directories that didn't look like they were necessary (note I have no way to prove this...).

I decided to clean up my albums (including Facebook albums) that I was no longer using in order to try to simplify things.

I deleted a bunch of albums that were synced to Facebook (just deleted them in iPhoto), and eliminated a group of folders where I had old albums.

This seemed to reduce my AlbumData.xml file a little, but it was still an 11MB text file - too big for me to verify by hand, so I kept on cleaning things up.

I also deleted some orphaned directories in the iPhoto library that were not in the Empty Library I created as a reference (again - these just appeared to me that they weren't needed).

I also went through and launched iPhoto with the OPTION-CMD keys down and selected each of the rebuild options one at a time. Each time you need to quit and relaunch after it finishes. Rebuilding the thumbnails took me almost half an hour.

When i was done, iPhoto launched OK, and all of my events, and the few albums I had left were OK. I had one album that was kind of weird, so I deleted that one and then everything looked fine.

iTunes could sync, and everything seems OK.

My conclusion is that something in the iPhoto 9.4 update didn't convert my library properly, either due to of the old junk in the library, or from some other type of "minor" corruption.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes from this issue. Originally I thought everyone must be having this problem, but now I am not so sure. There doesn't seem to be enough outrage in the forums - only a few people complaining about it. Maybe some of us just had some weird junk in our libraries and that is what caused this issue...

Anyway, if you get tired of waiting for Apple to fix this, you can always try some of these things.

At the minimum, you can remove the AlbumData.xml file in the iPhoto library and sync some photos on your new iPhone 5. next time you launch iPhoto it will recreate the file and you will not be able to sync again, but at least you can get some photos updated...

*** Again - YMMV, but this is what worked for me, and do NOT mess around with your iPhoto Library without having a backup...

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
As a follow up, it would seem that this problem is caused by Slideshows with music that has an "&" in the name. Deleting the slide show, or changing the music will resolve this issue until Apple corrects iPhoto.

In my case, I just deleted the Slideshow...

fredbuchwald

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
1140 Error and iPhoto

Repaired permissions in new version of iPhoto. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem.

laurakelley

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Louisiana
iphoto

Mr. McMac
I did exactly what you said and my com.apple.iphoto.plist keeps showing back up. I didn't have any updates on previous iphotos though. Maybe that is why. But it keeps coming back. How do I fix this?

----------

Each time it is at Step 2 54%

UPHoosier

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
UPHoosier

Mr.McMac: I did the plist delete and after restarting iPhoto all I have is a new install, empty, iPhoto, all the photos are gone. How do I fix that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.