Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMHmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Ok so I've got my new 5 and I also have an original iPhone however the screen is looking a lot yellower on the 5.

Anyone else have anything like this?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Here we go again...

Most likely the color temperature of your new screen is just warmer than your previous phone.

Unless the color on the screen is uneven (i.e., yellow in the top half but not in the bottom), it's probably not a defect.

DMHmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Here we go again...

Most likely the color temperature of your new screen is just warmer than your previous phone.

Unless the color on the screen is uneven (i.e., yellow in the top half but not in the bottom), it's probably not a defect.

So the hotter it gets the more yellow it gets? Sorry, I don't know much about this because I've only ever had an original iPhone.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So the hotter it gets the more yellow it gets? Sorry, I don't know much about this because I've only ever had an original iPhone.

What the response was referring to is color temperature measured in Kelvin. The original phones, where more daylight balanced in the 5500-6500K range. This light is slightly blue in tone. Household bulbs are far more yellow in comparison to daylight in the 2500-2900K range. The new screens are probably more toward the warmer end of the spectrum in the 4000K range.

Color temperature range from very blue in the 10,000+ kelvin range to toward red in the 1,000K range.

Kind of a short answer, but this link may help
http://www.highpowerledcn.com/upload/image/clip_image001.jpg

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
My 4s felt the same at first but it eventually evened out, isn't it something to do with the glue as well?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
My 4s felt the same at first but it eventually evened out, isn't it something to do with the glue as well?

There was a glue issue, but I think that was more of a situation where only part of the screen was yellow (you would know better than me since you had the issue :) )

This is more about how the screens were calibrated. If the OP is used to using an original iPhone, there was a huge shift in color from those to the 3G models that has likely stuck around to this day.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's the glue - they come off the production line, and get shipped so fast that it's still drying. Give it around 3 days - it it's not showing any sign of clearing, take it in for replacement.

DMHmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Can we stop with these stupid threads??? Seriously??? Its all in your imagination.

It's not because I've just done a side by side comparison with my original iPhone but thank you for your totally useless input...

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It's not because I've just done a side by side comparison with my original iPhone but thank you for your totally useless input...

This is the battle with every iPhone release man. I made a preemptive thread about it but it was locked.

Get your phone replaced. It's defective. It is 100% not glue. Its funny haw many people still parrot that falsehood.

I got a 5 right here with a clear beautiful screen. Your phone is bad.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
This is the battle with every iPhone release man. I made a preemptive thread about it but it was locked.

Get your phone replaced. It's defective. It is 100% not glue. Its funny haw many people still parrot that falsehood.

I got a 5 right here with a clear beautiful screen. Your phone is bad.

For eff's sake. Stop stirring up commotion for nothing. Walk through the Apple store and you'll see a slight variance in all of the store models. Many of the 4Ss had a slightly blue tint to them - mine was one of them. You only notice when you hold it next to another one with a slightly different hue.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
For eff's sake. Stop stirring up commotion for nothing. Walk through the Apple store and you'll see a slight variance in all of the store models. Many of the 4Ss had a slightly blue tint to them - mine was one of them. You only notice when you hold it next to another one with a slightly different hue.

I've confirmed with Apple that this is not supposed to be the case. Yellow is not one of their target temperatures.

Get. It. Replaced.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Agh Apple should just really give the option to tweak your display temperature. you can do this in a Jailbroken phone using ColorProfiles

It would save them tons of money from people who return their phones 3 times

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Agh Apple should just really give the option to tweak your display temperature. you can do this in a Jailbroken phone using ColorProfiles

THIS will be the smartest comment in this soon-to-be-abortion of a thread. It would be really great if they did this, or if they could at least calibrate it themselves in store for people bothered by it.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX

Agreed that calibration settings would be helpful. Especially when they have lately been trying to market iOS devices as professional tools (especially the iPad).

Not to mention the racket they could make on licensing out the lightning connector to third parties who want to create auto-calibration devices.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Yellow Screen Gate

Unfortunately after using my iPhone 5 today I have noticed that it has a strong yellow screen. The iPhone 5 is pictured below on the left and the iPhone 4 is pictured on the right. I hope Apple fixes this major issue. Does anyone else suffer from the yellow screen issue?

yellowscreenip5_zps0c5a076e.jpg

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
much like many phones I've seen, your old phone looks more "blue" and your new one looks more "true". I think this is going to be a natural variation. Swap if you so desire.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
before i always liked my screen calibrated with a cooler temperature but tbh, i got used to warm/natural calibration (i worked as a designer so our screens had to be properly calibrated which means it's warmer color).

i mean hopefully this isn't really a defect and the warmer temperature is intentional. but you know, if enough people complain, apple will recalibrate it (which i don't want if it's working as intended).

aerove

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
Atlanta,GA
its an issue if the yellowing is uneven. but if its even then as others have mentioned its just how the display is set up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.