Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Just unboxed mine to find this :( It also has some spots/marks lower down the side. It's not earthshattering, but when I pay $400 for a phone (or anything for that matter) I want it to be pristine. Let me put my own nicks in it! ;) Getting a replacement in motion with Apple.

oh man that's pretty bad :(

i got the black one and i guess i'm lucky coz mine is perfect. no scratches, nicks or dings. tbh, i think i MIGHT go caseless since when the black gets scuffed up, it might actually looks really nice. the reason i didn't want the white phone is coz with iphon4, the metal band gets 'buffed' (especially with cases) so it looses the matte look (if that makes sense) and it just looks kinda ugly.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
My friends and I camped this morning and we all decided to go white after checking out the "scuffgate" thread (btw, many display phones exhibited "scuffgate")...

All three of our white iPhone 5s had blemishes of some sort... most where some shiny spots or little bumps in the aluminum bezel, excess glue?, or little scratch in the back plate... Needless to say... I can live with a few shiny spots on the bezel (especially after seeing the black iPhone 5s)... normal wear and tear will take over soon.

The only iPhone that I did not have any minor cosmetic issues with (between original, 3GS, 4S and 5) was the original iPhone, which I pomptly scratched the bezel of after about 2 weeks by stuffing it in my pocket with a nail file.

My 3GS had a tiny spot of light bleed, and both of my 4S's had screen yellowing only in one portion of it (I only bothered exchanging the first - tried on the second, and Apple store people said the couldn't see it and wouldn't authorize another exchange). So, I'm annoyed but very grateful for what seems to be a clean screen. That's the only part I can't cover with a case and still use. ;)

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
The only iPhone that I did not have any minor cosmetic issues with (between original, 3GS, 4S and 5) was the original iPhone, which I pomptly scratched the bezel of after about 2 weeks by stuffing it in my pocket with a nail file.

My 3GS had a tiny spot of light bleed, and both of my 4S's had screen yellowing only in one portion of it (I only bothered exchanging the first - tried on the second, and Apple store people said the couldn't see it and wouldn't authorize another exchange). So, I'm annoyed but very grateful for what seems to be a clean screen. That's the only part I can't cover with a case and still use. ;)

oh i had the yellowish screen on my 4S (not on my 4). but mine did go away after a couple of weeks. yours stayed yellow?

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Have been sliding my case off and on all day, no scuffs or anything.

The whole thing has been overstated, there's no way the silver will come through after just holding it all day.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Haha. It'd near the volume rocker on the front. One is a scratch the other is a dimple. They are very obvious. Ugh!

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Just unboxed mine to find this :( It also has some spots/marks lower down the side. It's not earthshattering, but when I pay $400 for a phone (or anything for that matter) I want it to be pristine. Let me put my own nicks in it! ;) Getting a replacement in motion with Apple.

yeah, that's bad. good luck with the replacement!

i just have the tiniest burr on one of the chamfered edges. hardly noticeable, even with me knowing where it is.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I think I'd probably return that. I have a similar nick on my black one. My eyes aren't good enough to see it as well as yours, but it's definitely more noticable on black. You probably wouldn't buy a new car with a little nick in it.

Jon Boy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Doncaster, UK
Replacement organized by Apple earlier, the person said they was told 3-5 day before shipping, i received email saying 3-4 weeks but may change.

Hope this does change.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Have been sliding my case off and on all day, no scuffs or anything.

The whole thing has been overstated, there's no way the silver will come through after just holding it all day.

I think the issue is whether your phone comes with dings or nicks. If you get a black and you ding it up yourself, that's on you, but if it comes out of the box nicked, it's poor QC and should be replaced.

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Still waiting to get mine, but I have a question:

If you ordered the phone through Verizon and notice a scuff/nick/whatever other defect, do you return it to Verizon or go to the Apple Store for replacement?

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Wow, that's noticable and would bug me as well. Sucks.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Naked

There's one nick on the back and my wife who got the white one also got the same nick at the back on a different place. Can we return to Verizon or Apple? I feel like I don't need to replace it but I'm clearly disappointed :(.

And it looks like I won't be going NAKED anymore and get a case :(. I've been naked the whole time :D

Attachments

• nicks.jpeg
    nicks.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,202

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I'm still waiting for UPS to bring my black iPhone 5 today. After reading through the posts in this thread, it seems quality control was a little lax at times.

ceo-B

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Ups delivered by iphone bang at 12pm as promised. i ordered the black 64GB. Opened the box and something small but silver stood out on the right side rim of the phone on the black. Tried to wipe it off and it turned out to be a scratch. deep enough to scratch the paint off.

even above the silent button there are a few scuffs. Usually i wouldnt bother about wanting to exchange it but after spending $1126 on it, i feel like i deserve a perfect condition phone without having to compromise. Its a bummer cos i havent even removed the plastic from it.

Called Apple, they took down my exchange order, and said apple will get in touch with me within 24 hours. But i guess i wont get my new phone for a while now knowing how many people are probably asking for replacements.

its too bad, i am scheduled to travel overseas in a week for 3.5 months. guess no new iphone for me just yet.

packed it back in in box. now waiting to hear back from apple Canada.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,858

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

Geez! That's like someone dropped it at the assembly line.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Quality control is severely lacking from all the posts I see here, scratches, dents, stuff not aligned. What's going on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.