Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I still find this data nonsense. The people who wait in line are a different breed then people who prefer to have the phone delivered to them.

Totally agree, this is a poor sample set to come up with any kind of statistic. So basically iGeeks and other folks idiot enough to queue up outside a shop for days prefer black iPhones and upgrade every year. No surprises there :rolleyes:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm quite contempt with my 32GB 4S its not even a year old yet. I only got it on launch day. I'll upgrade maybe next year. Need to save for the new iMac as my '09 MBP is so slooooooow

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Maybe their survey is flawed, but I don't think I know a single person upgrading to the 5 from the 4S, and if you were you'd be far better off to wait for the unlocked versions of the 5 that will be coming out in the next week or two (at the same price as the non-subsidized models)....

I'm definitely upgrading to the 5 from my 3GS, and most other people I know are upgrading from the 4.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Maybe their survey is flawed, but I don't think I know a single person upgrading to the 5 from the 4S, and if you were you'd be far better off to wait for the unlocked versions of the 5 that will be coming out in the next week or two (at the same price as the non-subsidized models)....

I'm definitely upgrading to the 5 from my 3GS, and most other people I know are upgrading from the 4.

Semi-subsidized price for upgrading early from AT&T for a 32gb was $299+250 early upgrade fee= $549 (plus tax), while the unlocked off contract price is $749 (plus tax), so it was not worth getting the unlocked one. I sold my 4S for $475, so it paid for most of my 5. Not all of it, but enough to make it an easy upgrade choice for me.

Besides that though, I agree that their survey is probably flawed and not a true indicator of what's going on. There is no way saying that 50% of owners are upgrading can hold true for the population. Crappy survey.

Last edited:

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
It's absurd to make a newsitem about the length of a waiting line.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
There is nothing that shows this data has any external validity (i.e.: applying to those who are receiving home delivery of the iPhone 5). As such the use of the data can only be interpreted within the confines of which it was collected (i.e.: this is what we can say about people who lined up to purchase the iPhone 5). And even then, i'm sure that unless everyone is interview there is sure to be some bias (ecological fallacy).

Ianthin

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
From what I've been reading, the main reason folks are getting black phone is that they were more plentiful than the whites. I want one myself, but from what I'm hearing there aren't any to be had in my area, from AT&T at least.

dl73

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
A bit off topic...

Can someone (pretty) please tell me the weight of an iPhone 5, packing included?

Thnx and my apologies for the off topic message...

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
lol 100 people is enough to say that it's a trend?

Assuming 8 million launch day sales (probably much less, but it really doesn't matter much, we know it will be in the millions and the numbers don't change that much from 2M to 8M), a 95% confidence level and a CI of ~10 then yea, 100 users would be statistically acceptable. Not great, but usable.

There are other confounding factors (lack of geographic diversity in the sample size, for example) but I'd imagine the overall trends outlined would be correct.

jagsrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
IP4 Upgrade - Verizon

Some of the factors not included in their "survey" is the fact that anyone who has an iPhone with Verizon is not eligible for an upgrade until 10/10. There will be another significant sales day when the verizon IP4 owners can upgrade.

Also, here in St. Louis there were about 100 people or so in line at the Apple store in the mall. Across the street at the Verizon store, only about 15 a few minutes before 8. As the guy in line told me..."But they don't clap for you when you walk in the store" and another "even though the line is longer here, camping overnight in the mall is much more comfortable than outside at the Verizon/ATT/Sprint store".

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My 4S is slick and smooth on iOS 6. I'm having trouble seeing what the big push from 4S to 5 is for.

I find this attitude so strange. 4s --> 5 is the second biggest hardware change they've ever done (after 3GS --> 4). Bigger screen, thinner, lighter, new materials (including stronger glass), 2x processing power, 2x graphics power, 2x ram, faster wifi, better rear camera, much better front camera, new dock connector, new antenna design, better battery life, and oh yeah, LTE.

Don't get me wrong - I still have a 4s, and it's a great phone and runs iOS 6 really well. But they upgraded practically every aspect of the hardware from 4s to five. It's a huge upgrade compared to 3G --> 3GS, 4 --> 4s, or even original --> 3G.

agadosz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
What is happening to this world

if people need to change their cell phone every 10 months?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This is shocking. I feel like its not much of an upgrade from the 4S. Not enough to sign for another two years and pay full price. From a 4 I'd understand.

Not really - a bunch of people I know have to have the latest iPhone and stand in line on launch day and pay the early upgrade fees.

It's nice when you have a steady job and money....

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Walmat here where I work has plenty ... if you want white 16gb. I think that's all they got in.

riz22

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Too limited

This research really seems extremely limited. Not only was this counting 100 people not millions, but these are huge Apple Fans who are standing in line. This is the only way the 4S -> 5 figures make any sense.

These are people who look forward to partying in line waiting for a huge product launch willing to pay more to upgrade and nothing more.

When the real numbers are released overall I'm sure there will be more 4 -> 5 upgraders than written here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.