Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Just hours ago I updated my iP4 to iOS6. Holy ****, I never thought I would be disappointed in an iOS update. I already knew Maps would be a downgrade for the moment, but that's actually the least of my dislike for iOS6. Any regrets of getting the GS3 a month before iPhone release has completely gone away.

App store is unbearable. (needs to get fixed asap)

Music app is blindly all white.

The color status bar confuses me, has me thinking I'm on speaker phone.

What is the purpose of the "new" banner on apps when they just end up placing on the last space anyways?

The dialPad is hideous.

Basically no big features added, just some minor features like Do not disturb, Facebook integration, and a few other small random improvements.

It's basically the same as iOS5 but with ugly cosmetic differences.

I love iOS but Apple is starting to go the wrong direction. I hope they realize this before they ruin the magic of iOS.

The one thing I really like is the Photostream sharing. EDIT: It sucks that you got to be on iOS6 or OSX 10.8.2 to use it ..... Unless made public.

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Steve Jobs is dead, so he's not around to veto these mistakes and to whip the workers into a coding frenzy.

If anything, the current CEO is making moves that sound suspiciously like he wants the company to go on cruise control for a while. Minimal updates, minimal changes to the phone itself.

Big mistake.

The worst part is that people are enabling Apple to get by on such disappointing development. Look at the 51% of Macrumors members who lied and said that iOS6 is NOT disappointing. It's incredible.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1383671/

Last edited:

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Really not sure about the visual colour tweaks, they don't have any design consistency...quite jarring in places. And agreed about the top bar confusingly looking similar to a call...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I love it just for do not disturb. My iPhone is my work phone and I was rudely awoken two nights ago by someone trying to call me over a work matter because I forgot to silence or turn off my iPhone.

Now with DnD I don't have to worry about forgetting it!

As I use my Nexus alongside my iPhone, all of the other things I use my "smart" phone for are just fine on my Nexus (Google maps, Music, apps e.tc). Doesn't matter what gets worse for me on iOS to be honest.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
DnD is a nice addition to iOS, especially that you can schedule it which is the most important part as people would forget to turn it off.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
All of the best new features in iOS 6 blackberry was doing in 2006.

This is a crock and I'm ready to jump ship. Hoping that Lumina 920 wows me.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
I have that on my GS3 - called blocking mode. Think I has it on an old Nokia at some stage too. I've yet to see something really interesting and innovative coming from Apple lately. Maybe it is that Jobs is gone or it may that Apple have just got too conservative.

I love it just for do not disturb. My iPhone is my work phone and I was rudely awoken two nights ago by someone trying to call me over a work matter because I forgot to silence or turn off my iPhone.

Now with DnD I don't have to worry about forgetting it!

As I use my Nexus alongside my iPhone, all of the other things I use my "smart" phone for are just fine on my Nexus (Google maps, Music, apps e.tc). Doesn't matter what gets worse for me on iOS to be honest.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can I only set three different "reply with text"? My old dumb phone had at least 10 however it was probably unlimited.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I have that on my GS3 - called blocking mode. Think I has it on an old Nokia at some stage too. I've yet to see something really interesting and innovative coming from Apple lately. Maybe it is that Jobs is gone or it may that Apple have just got too conservative.

It's one of the many useful CaynogenMod features (quiet hours). :D
153164-CM7-QuietHours.png

DnD is nice to have on the iPhone coming from my past usage of CyanogenMod.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Look at the 51% of Macrumors members who lied and said that iOS6 is NOT disappointing. It's incredible.

ha ha ha oh ho

"Look at all the people on this poll who agreed with me! And look at all the liars who said they disagreed! Proof that 100% of people actually agree with me!"

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
ha ha ha oh ho

"Look at all the people on this poll who agreed with me! And look at all the liars who said they disagreed! Proof that 100% of people actually agree with me!"

Hahah, can't argue dem facts!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Steve Jobs is dead, so he's not around to veto these mistakes and to whip the workers into a coding frenzy.

If anything, the current CEO is making moves that sound suspiciously like he wants the company to go on cruise control for a while. Minimal updates, minimal changes to the phone itself.

Big mistake.

The worst part is that people are enabling Apple to get by on such disappointing development. Look at the 51% of Macrumors members who lied and said that iOS6 is NOT disappointing. It's incredible.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1383671/

You and me might not be happy with iOS 6 but that doesn't mean those 51% are liars. Yes I'm sure there are some who said they aren't disappointed but actually are, but maybe some people don't expect as much from these yearly OS updates.

For me, it was iOS 6 that made me jump ship to my S3 not the hardware.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
On the face of it, it would appear that iOS releases are merely ways of forcing obsolescence into the iDevice chain. If there are no new critical features in iOS6 from 5.1.1 then every device that runs 5.1.1 should be upgradable and the non-critical features that can't run are disabled. The same applies to OS X releases, btw. It also appears that the "lifespan" of devices is getting shorter and shorter. I can see the day when Apple comes to a 1 year lifecycle and then makes changes in iCloud and other cloud services such that upgrading to a new device is mandatory if the user wishes to continue using those services.

On a different note, I think Apple has already reached saturation in the high-end phone market. Most new purchases will now come from recycling older users. While providing steady income, this does not provide growth.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I, for one, really enjoy all the cosmetic changes. People are just impossible to please really.

But I think mostly everyone is disappointed with iOS 6, it's just a tiny update.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
But I think mostly everyone is disappointed with iOS 6, it's just a tiny update.

It's not just that iOS 6 is a tiny update, it's that the system itself is so simple that it's actually limiting; it's so simple that it's actually less usable.

I think Josh Topolsky sums it up perfectly in his Verge review:

"All the steps you took to get things done in the last OS... those are pretty much the same too. And some of those steps are maddening, or poorly thought out."

"Apple is still making users jump through hoops to perform simple tasks, like switching to a private browsing window or clearing the cache in Safari. It takes no less than six button presses and home key taps to make that happen while browsing....

... when taken as a whole and spread across multiple applications, it makes the OS feel claustrophobic, mysterious, and downright unhelpful at times."

He goes on to talk about how annoying the notification banners are, equating them to be no better than the pop up notifications iOS used to have. I agree. When I had my 4S, those banners flipping from the top were a nuisance, yet there was no better way to get notifications.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.