Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141852-Verizon-logo_300-150x98.jpg

iDownloadBlog has confirmed that the Verizon iPhone 5 being sold on contract does arrive unlocked for use on GSM networks, allowing users with a nano-SIM or a trimmed micro-SIM from a GSM carrier such as AT&T to use the device on their networks.
I can confirm that the Verizon iPhone 5 is indeed GSM unlocked. Even though I bought an iPhone 5 from Verizon under contract, I was able to cut down my AT&T Micro SIM, and use it in my Verizon iPhone 5 to pick up an AT&T signal. By doing so, I was able to hop onto AT&T's HPSA+ network, or "4G" as they so ridiculously name it.
As the report notes, users attempting to use a Verizon iPhone 5 on AT&T in the United States will not have access to AT&T's LTE network, due to hardware differences that leave the Verizon iPhone 5 (which is essentially a single CDMA/GSM world-mode phone for 3G purposes) incompatible with LTE frequency bands 4 and 17 used by AT&T and Canadian carriers.

For other international GSM carriers, Verizon iPhone 5 owners should simply be able to obtain a nano-SIM card from the international carrier and use it in their phone.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 5 Confirmed to Be Unlocked on GSM 3G Networks

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
this is surprising. it would be simply insane if it had the appropriate bands for att lte and remained unlocked - too good to be true!

regardless, this is still good! especially for the secondary / prepaid market - more compatible phones for straight talk and the like..

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
That's the way it should have always been!! You're still under contract anyway which means you'll still have to pay your monthly bill even if you wanna use any other sim.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
That's awesome. Don't even need to call for a SIM Unlock when I travel? Verizon looks better and better.

Holding off until we figure out whether the house we buy has U-Verse or FiOS. The discount AT&T U-Verse gives for bundling your phone with them is like $50 a month for the package we want! That's like free Internet!

yhtomitn64

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I used another accounts upgrade, would this help me get the phone on my account?

I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Now the question is, which signal takes dominance? The Verizon CDMA signal or the AT&T GSM signal when a Verizon activated (and in service) iPhone 5 is fed an AT&T nano-SIM.

Or does the iPhone let you select which carrier? I hunk this last statement is mostly true.

ace198

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?

Call Verizon on the phone and they'll help you. Just make sure to activate the iPhone 5 on her account first. After that, you should be good to go on your account.

Yes, you can cut down the SIM but I wouldn't recommend that. Verizon should give a nano SIM for free.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Nice for VZW customers. I almost jumped ship to have the ability to unlock when I went abroad. Definitely a selling point for them. Wish AT&T would offer something like this - I'd even agree to pay a higher ETF for it.

yhtomitn64

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Call Verizon on the phone and they'll help you. Just make sure to activate the iPhone 5 on her account first. After that, you should be good to go on your account.

Yes, you can cut down the SIM but I wouldn't recommend that. Verizon should give a nano SIM for free.

Thanks for the quick reply. We are completely different accounts. Not the same line on the same account but different accounts under different names. The Verizon store said I won't be able to do this but I was hoping there was some loophole or something. I'm going to give Verizon a call this evening when I have more time. Thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Cool my buddy is selling his verizon iPhone 5 and I can use it on AT&T. Guess I'll just buy it :)

Added:
Isn't this what happened before and then the phone providers locked it once they got word? Thinking it was Sprint maybe?

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I thought on Verizon that you won't be able to do this. Has this changed?

I think it was a joke. As in, Verizon users can now put in an AT&T SIM and talk and surf at the same time.

EDIT: never mind, I see that 5 more posts were made while I was typing this explaining it! :p

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Soooo that's including T-Mobile? I'm sure this will help with resell value!

Nope, you have to buy the AT&T model in order to use the iPhone 5 on T-Mobile's LTE network.

It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.