Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Now the question is, which signal takes dominance? The Verizon CDMA signal or the AT&T GSM signal when a Verizon activated (and in service) iPhone 5 is fed an AT&T nano-SIM.

Or does the iPhone let you select which carrier? I hunk this last statement is mostly true.

+1

Also, can I have Verizon phone signal with AT&T data at the same time?

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
didn't this happen before with either the iPhone 4 or 4S? and then Verizon locked it? Or maybe it was Sprint?… I'm pretty sure it was Verizon though.

Sorry, I don't really remember the specifics...

yhtomitn64

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I think it was a joke. As in, Verizon users can now put in an AT&T SIM and talk and surf at the same time.

EDIT: never mind, I see that 5 more posts were made while I was typing this explaining it! :p

Yeah silly me for replying too quick. Ha ha.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hopefully this isn't a mistake that gets "fixed" like last year's unlocked Sprint iPhones.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do not cut down the VZW SIM card from an iPhone 4S!

The Verizon SIM card from an iPhone 4S is only a Vodafone.NL SIM card, which isn't the same thing as a normal Verizon SIM card used in the iPhone 5. You won't get service in the US at all if you use the 4S SIM card. Just activate the phone with the included Verizon SIM card, and that one would be the card you would use in the US.

nickgwyn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Any word on Sprint? It is the same hardware as the Verizon iPhone 5.

Also, do you have to activate on VZW, or could you just buy it in a Verizon store, put in your cut down AT&T nano-SIM, and just use AT&T without ever signing up for Verizon?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
didn't this happen before with either the iPhone 4 or 4S? and then Verizon locked it? Or maybe it was Sprint?… I'm pretty sure it was Verizon though.

Sorry, I don't really remember the specifics...

Sprint. I think in that case it was only unlocked for non-US SIMs, but it was later locked in a software update. You can request Sprint to unlock it for non-US use.

djaisling

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I used my Mom's upgrade who is on another account. I was under the impression I could just bring the phone to the Verizon store and activate it on my account. She was up for renewal and I wasn't so I used her upgrade and paid for the phone. When I brought it to the store they said I'm not up for renewal so I won't be able to use the phone on my account.

Is there a way I can get the phone on my account? I'm going to give her my 4S and I've already signed her up for a data plan on her account.

Any ideas? Can I cut down the SIM card from my 4S and stick it in the Iphone 5 and have it be on my account?

Normally this much easier when your on the same family account, since you guys are separate you need to call into Verizon and do what is called a device swap. You will need the account info for both accounts (password info, SSN, etc) and do her phone first. Put the 4S onto her account and make sure it gets activated with them. Then have them put the 5 on your number and activate that one. It should be simple enough, but that is the usual requirement.

yhtomitn64

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Normally this much easier when your on the same family account, since you guys are separate you need to call into Verizon and do what is called a device swap. You will need the account info for both accounts (password info, SSN, etc) and do her phone first. Put the 4S onto her account and make sure it gets activated with them. Then have them put the 5 on your number and activate that one. It should be simple enough, but that is the usual requirement.

Okay thanks I'll try that. Let's hope they don't have some special rule which will bar this from working. Sounds like the person at the Verizon store said I can't do it because I'm not allowed to use her upgrade. She wanted to give to me as a gift which seems fine to me (even though I paid for it...). We'll see. Verizon is still getting her to upgrade her plan so I really don't see the problem.

applemotor

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Washington, The State
I thought the new nano sim was supposed to be 15%thinner, and a whole new design that would make the "cut down" trick not work.

Shenanigans?

Edit...quick check of wiki shows the thickness of nano-sim standard ETSI TS 102 221 V11.0.0 as about 15% thinner. But that could be shaved off the card body without getting into the encapsulation.

Last edited:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
This is great news, too bad it won't work in Peru. Nano-sims don't exist over there and I don't have the steady hands to go cutting up micro-sims.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It's beyond me why anyone goes with Verizon or AT&T. Both offer the same service as T-Mobile or Virgin, at almost double the price.

But hey, you get a subsidized phone.... :rolleyes:
I was thinking about switching to Virgin until I learnt that it does not let you use its phones outside the US. Not only does it not offer its own international data or voice plan, but it also does not let its phones be used with a local SIM cards.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
hahaha! i just got out of VZW's Live Chat and asked if the phone is unlocked and this is what they say...god damn it! always trying to squeeze some money out of you! why can't i use another carrier abroad? are you effing kidding me? an international plan? BS!

30ts77o.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.