Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
So, some iPhones are grandfathered in and have unlimited wireless data. I am curious, can those people use what is variously called "Personal Hotspot" or "wifi tethering"? You know, the thing where your iPhone's wireless data is what allows your laptop to browse the internet.

Just curious.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Not on AT&T, if you want tethering option you'd have to give up unlimited data.. you think AT&T of all carriers is going to willingly GIVE you the ability to tether on unlimited data? NEVER gonna happen!

You'd have to jailbreak..

----------

P.S- look at the garbage they're pulling with Facetime over 3g.. It's only available on a SHARED DATAPLAN... :rolleyes:

F'n AT&T..

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Is AT&T the only carrier with the "grandfathered" unlimited data plans, or do Verizon or Sprint have it? I am only curious about the US.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
You can jailbreak and use TetherMe or PdaNet or one of the other tethering apps that funnels data through the phone's apn rather than the official tethering one which cuts the chances of at&t detecting your tethering. I've used a couple GBs a month doing this and haven't heard a peep.

And when I upgraded from ios5 to ios6, the personal hotspot feature still appears to be there and can be turned on even though I'm on an unlimited plan, but I won't be using it until I can get one of the apps from cydia.

Ps are you from whatcd?

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I use TetherMe for my iPad, and haven't heard a word. The only time they threatened me is when I tethered to my Laptop with my iPhone 4 back in the day and downloaded 12-13gb of movies music and games. But if you're low key about it and use it for emails browsing etc you shouldn't have a problem.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
On Verizon, if you have unlimited data already, you can add the 30$ unlimited LTE hotspot and there you go.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I'm grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited. Hmmm...might have to wait to jailbreak or pay $20/month in the mean time.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I'm grandfathered in on Verizon's unlimited. Hmmm...might have to wait to jailbreak or pay $20/month in the mean time.

just go online to your "my verizon" then in add features, you should see 4g hotspot, its unlimited but on my account it says 30$ not 20$

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Got the 5 today unsubsidized and added the hotspot feature for unlimited tethering right there in the store. It is $30 not $20 for 4G.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Got the 5 today unsubsidized and added the hotspot feature for unlimited tethering right there in the store. It is $30 not $20 for 4G.

Correct. $30 for 4G phones and $20 for 3G phones. However the 3G phones are capped at 2GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.