Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhino89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Has anyone installed iOS 6 on their old iPod Touch 4 yet? any thoughts on if it's faster, slower, anything? Debating here, haven't heard or read much detailed feedback on other threads. Thanks!

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Hesitating to install it.

I want to make sure the Reminders app is still there in iOS 6.

According to engadget it is not

Does anyone know?

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Hesitating to install it.

I want to make sure the Reminders app is still there in iOS 6.

According to engadget it is not

Does anyone know?

I just installed iOS6 and I can confirm that the Reminders app is still there.

iOS6 seems to be running just fine on my iPod Touch 4. No issues whatsoever.

James

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
I've been running the GM for a week now and I don't notice any performance hit. But I also don't really notice any real difference. Maps are about the only thing different for us. Most of the other 'features' and 'upgrades' aren't made available for our 4th gen touch (no flyover in maps or audio turn by turn, no 'notifications' in Find My Friends, no Panorama, etc).

So while it's not slower, it's not much more feature-rich either.

rhino89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I've been running the GM for a week now and I don't notice any performance hit. But I also don't really notice any real difference. Maps are about the only thing different for us. Most of the other 'features' and 'upgrades' aren't made available for our 4th gen touch (no flyover in maps or audio turn by turn, no 'notifications' in Find My Friends, no Panorama, etc).

So while it's not slower, it's not much more feature-rich either.

I knew that we wouldn't get new features, I was just looking forward to a performance enhancement overall. Did you also have a very slow iPod on iOS 5? Or did you not notice any speed changes between iOS 5 and 6?

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
I knew that we wouldn't get new features, I was just looking forward to a performance enhancement overall. Did you also have a very slow iPod on iOS 5? Or did you not notice any speed changes between iOS 5 and 6?

My 4th Gen on iOS 5 hadn't been that speedy lately. I did a full restore about a month ago because it's just not as snappy as it had been in the past. It's showing it's age.

Now that I've upgraded, I don't notice any difference between iOS5 and iOS6 in terms of speed. I have the same occasional crashes and laggy performance today as I had a week ago. Not any more, but not any less, either.

j.w.

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Just updated my 4G. I was thinking of upgrading to the new itouch, but with iOS 6, i might not need to for another year?

Pretty sure everything's snappier. I was updating like 15 apps in the background and then surfing safari, and then switched out to another app from the multitasking tray -- and it all felt smooth. It doesn't lag as much when you slide to unlock, and the camera loads faster when you load it from the lock screen.

The difference i'd say is heaven and earth if you're coming from iOS 4 (heck, apps wouldn't even animate when you closed them in iOS 4!), and still worth it for iOS 5 users.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
No difference in speed, it's runs like iOS5. Visual UI changes and new features:

* New maps (no flyover)
* New apps design: music, appstore, time, and IU improvements (like the new screen for share in the apps).
* Don't disturb mode.
* Updates don't ask for password.
* VIPS in mail.
* In the alarm you can set a song from your library.
* Passbook.
* Can post Twitt in the notification center.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No difference in speed, it's runs like iOS5. Visual UI changes and new features:

* New maps (no flyover)
* New apps design: music, appstore, time, and IU improvements (like the new screen for share in the apps).
* Don't disturb mode.
* Updates don't ask for password.
* VIPS in mail.
* In the alarm you can set a song from your library.
* Passbook.
* Can post Twitt in the notification center.

Not bad I guess. I like how I can use a song from my library for my alarm now.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
There's a significant decrease in available RAM on the iPod touch 4g after updating to iOS6, keep that in mind. It effects a lot.

How do you find out the free RAM space on your device? (I am sure you didn't mean the flash storage capacity.)

Last edited:
Has anyone installed iOS 6 on their old iPod Touch 4 yet? any thoughts on if it's faster, slower, anything? Debating here, haven't heard or read much detailed feedback on other threads. Thanks!

Installed it and not had a problem; if anything it seems a wee bit faster. Safari has had quite an improvement - full screen in landscape, iCloud tabs (AWESOME), and a few UI improvements. Offline Reading List isn't there though, it seems that this model has been skipped sadly.

Overall though I haven't really noticed much difference. I will be getting the 5th gen though, so there will be much better performance and features (camera, siri etc)

k1lljoy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
North Carolina
How do you find out the free RAM space on your device? (I am sure you didn't mean the flash storage capacity.)

My iPod is jailbroken, using SBsettings and status bar options i can always see my free RAM. My friends RAM went down from an average of about 40mb, to under 10 after installing iOS6

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
My friends RAM went down from an average of about 40mb, to under 10 after installing iOS6

:eek:

That is awful. I am probably not going to upgrade then. 10mb will probably let you run 1-2 app at anytime without getting excessive thrashing. :D

tehpea

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
iOS 6 on iPod touch definitely feels snappier than iOS 5. Also, the new Usage tab lets you control your battery usage well so you know whether your iPod needs a full discharge or not.

Also, all of you guys who complain about lack of RAM, try not jailbreaking your iPod. We all know jailbreaking iPod touches is a terrible idea due to the low amount of RAM the device has. Leave the jailbreaks for iPads and iPhones.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5.1.1 to 6 is a huge improvement in performance. Everything is way snappier. I was running 5.1.1 on my brand new replaced iPod touch for a week, then updated to the 6 GM. I was just awed.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
I have a couple of apps that are slow already (Numbers being one) so I am still hesitant to upgrade. No Jailbreak.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
5.1.1 to 6 is a huge improvement in performance. Everything is way snappier. I was running 5.1.1 on my brand new replaced iPod touch for a week, then updated to the 6 GM. I was just awed.

I completely agree - it feels like a new device.

peacenfunk

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
Everything has worked for me so far really well. The only issue that I seem to have is that when I search on the app store all that seems to happen is that the screen flashes black and goes back to the Home Screen. It does search, but can't scroll across or view the app at the front.

Is it just me or has anyone else had this issue?
(Not jailbroken)

aimango

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, ON
I updated my ipod touch yesterday, the update took awhile and I wasn't hesitant at all since I don't use Maps very often on it. When I first started it, I was able to start and run apps more quickly, and it seemed less laggy in general. After heavy usage today, it seems to have started being laggy again.

In terms of the updates, Maps isn't that bad in my city (Toronto), and Apple actually uses Yelp when you look up certain stores or locations, which I found interesting. I personally don't really use streetview, so I haven't seen any weird things yet, lol.

Major improvements on app store UI, which I really like. They now have some nice horizontal scrolling implemented for search results when you search for an app.

I find it stupid that the passbook app just leads to a list of Passbook supported apps in the App Store. Alhough right now I'm facing the same Passbook problems as other people in the Passbook thread :cool:

Facebook integration is pretty awesome, I love that I can now sync my FB friends to my contacts, and Facebook events to Calendar! Being able to post from the notification center is also pretty cool (even more handy on Mountain Lion).

What else.. lots of cosmetic changes on the default apps. Oh, they add a 'new' banner to every app you've installed but never opened before (pretty useful little feature).

No camera changes on iPod other than cosmetic ones, no Panorama (lol boohoo)

Game Centre improvements, including FB integ. so now I can add my FB friends who have Game Centre. Challenges. Etc.

Anyways, there's not much to say since all of the iOS6 updates are the same as iPhone5, except a few missing since we're only on the A4 chip and have a crappier camera.

To person who suggests not jailbreaking: totally agree. Lol. I found it really laggy after iOS5, unfortunately.. Don't think it'll get any better once there's a jailbreak for iOS6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.