Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
First white 64gb iPhone 5 had a scuff from machining on the sides.

Second one is perfect through and through.

Jon Boy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Doncaster, UK
C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

Sorry if this came off as rude, but sometimes the truth can be mean.

No your wrong!! my white one has a small chip under the glass at the bottom above the speaker, 2 black marks between the screen and the white banding. They maybe only very minor blemishes but these phones are defective.
If i had left the phone and say 3 months down line the chip turned into a crack in Apple's eyes who would be at fault? me. Thus the reason for people reporting defects on arrival.

I live in UK and if we report defect on arrival the 2 year warranty kicks in, however Apple said they will replace the phone, but with all these defects people are saying what's to say the next one or the one after that is any good.

I paid just shy of £600 for a phone! i expect it to be 100% defect free in any way. I could understand if it was £300.
We as a consumer have a right to complain. :p

----------

I'm _not_ being critical of the OP or this thread.

My thought is ... What's the point?

It's under warranty & we know Apple is especially good at taking care of their customers.

So why waste time with pictures and commentary over something so basic as cosmetic issues?

All one has to do is reach out to Apple for a replacement.

I'd enjoy hearing some rational & reasonable answers from others.

:)

The thing is Apple have run very low on stock.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Eh... Ten million phones in 2 weeks? That's a bit hard to perfect.

Eh...you see how many posts are out there from just the OCD people who notice? I'm thinking there is probably 10 times as many from ding dong girls and others that simply just admire it's shinyness and don't have a clue about existing scuffs/dings.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have a nick in my white iPhone 5 32gb In the upper left hand corner on the very corner of the aluminum. It's not a big deal to me haha.

Is it like this?
imagelfb.jpg

Not going to exchange either

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
C'mon people, its a phone, I understand that you don't want your phone to be damaged and all scratched up, but if you are really getting this upset about such small purely cosmetic details that are not seeable unless looked for then there is something not right with you. Not to sound rude but its ridiculous. FWIW, my iPhone 5 that I got today also has a small scratch on the back and one next to the power button, but it doesn't effect me. why? Because I actually use the phone for other reason then to just show it off to my friends and say "Oh look I got the iPhone 5!" I admit if the phone was smashed and all scratched then I would be annoyed, but just like anything, if you look for a fault you will find one.

Sorry if this came off as rude, but sometimes the truth can be mean.

Are you actually slamming people because they don't think like you? That's pretty harsh dont you think? Some people aren't satisfied with "good enough" especially when they spend Apple Money on stuff. Would you take delivery of a nice sports car with scuffs on it? I think the saying is "the truth hurts".

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I have a mark on my screen so quality control was lacking . I would have kept it if the mark was any place other than the screen

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
No scuffs here, but I have a fat dent on the corner. Just got the phone a few minutes ago :(

Do you think it's a good idea to go to the Apple Store today?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 3,795

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Took off my beer goggles and looked through my OCD X-ray, Multi phasic visor
My white 32GB phone looks perfect. I'll recheck in 24 hours to see if anything appeared after exposed to sunlight and air. Damn I forgot to turn out the lights and scan for light leaks. i'll get back to you. Having said this, I know how disappointing it is to find a true defect in an expensive new toy. :cool:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
No scuffs here, but I have a fat dent on the corner. Just got the phone a few minutes ago :(

Do you think it's a good idea to go to the Apple Store today?

Come on man are you serious? Take that thing back ASAP looks like it was dropped from a 2 story building onto its corner

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Thought these posts were crazy people so I took a closer look at my black ip5 and found that one of the back glass panels is cracked where it meets the banding. It's not noticeable enough to care just hope it doesn't eventually spread.

I set my wife's white phone up in the plastic so it wouldn't be all fingerprinted when she got home, but decided to peel the plastic off and the back has no less than 5 tiny pock marks and a giant scratch running halfway up the back. The pock marks feel raised almost, so I'm thinking it may actually be splatter from the gloss of the Apple logo and back text? When I turned the phone over, one of the white bands ends in solid blue right on the front of the phone. White phone all over with a nice blotch of blue. Thought it might be blue protection tape but it would not scratch off.

Not returning either phone unless the blue mark on the front annoys my wife, but this is pretty unacceptable quality control. I'll admit that I had to go hunting to find a problem on my black phone, but for the problem to be cracked glass isn't cool. With three separate problems, the white phone is a mess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2,146

megrobbs

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
the 16gb one i bought at the apple store had a tiny nick in the mirrored band near the standby button, they immediately exchanged it for a new phone, i hadnt even walked out yet so it was convenient. new one is fine.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Not 1 mark on mine. I actually left the screen protector on and the back protector. I just lifted it a little and cut the ends and lifted the one on the camera lens and cut the top part off and immediately put it in a case.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Photo of the out-of-box scratch on the back of my White 64gb.

5_2.jpg

I also have minor scuffs along the banding near the power button, but nothing the iPad camera can capture in a photo.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
Tiny blemish on the mirrored edge - just about directly above the facetime camera. No way I exchange over it. Normal wear and tear will add a lot of dings to the mirrored finish over time and after seeing some of these gashes, I don't want to take my chances getting something worse.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
At this point, I'm not sure how I received one that isn't damaged, but apologies to those who did. I don't use a case. I don't worry about resale value. But receiving a dented/scratched phone would bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.