Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Got my iPhone 5 in the mail just not and its all set-up restoring from back-up but it still says no service?

Do I need to call AT&T to get it activated?

Thanks for the info. :)

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
If you ordered online you should have received an activation link with your initial order. You'd need to click on that link and enter your IMEI and ICCID numbers to activate your phone.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
If you ordered online you should have received an activation link with your initial order. You'd need to click on that link and enter your IMEI and ICCID numbers to activate your phone.

I looked back in my order emails and there was nothing in regards to activating the new phone once it arrives. :(

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I looked back in my order emails and there was nothing in regards to activating the new phone once it arrives. :(

I was mistaken...looking back it was in the email from ATT that they sent when it shipped.

It had the link to track the order and a link to activate it once it was received.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You go to the activations link and go through the process there.

After your activated on your number you have to wait 15 mins or so for it to take effect.

Then turn your phone all the way off by holding down the button then slide to turn off.

Then turn your Phone back on.

It should now be activated.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Had the same issue hehe. Try this link, should only have to just click next a few times: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

This is what I get on this link:

ACT005: We apologize for any inconvenience. iPhone users must connect to iTunes to activate service. All other users click here to register your mobile number and update your new equipment. If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

I have already connected to iTunes after restoring from back-up and there is no activation process that takes place.

Still stuck with No Service

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I was mistaken...looking back it was in the email from ATT that they sent when it shipped.

It had the link to track the order and a link to activate it once it was received.

Never got an email when it shipped just a text message was all.

----------

Install Itunes.

Plug in your phone.

Go through ATT activation page again.

Been there done that ... I plug into iTunes and it does nothing ... just shows my phone like it normally would.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You have to plug your phone into itunes and let it charge.

Then go to the webpage and try the activation for the number and it should go through.

But let the phone sit plugged in for 15 mins, unplug it, then turn it off and turn it back on.

Tnnrx7

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Use live chat option on att.com - have them provision your IMEI and ICCID and reboot your phone :apple:

I did this today and it was instant.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I has to call AT&T wireless. Whe. You punch in your cell phone number it say you have recently upgraded, would you like to activate. Follow the prompts and it only took about 5 minutes. After that LTE!

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
You have to plug your phone into itunes and let it charge.

Then go to the webpage and try the activation for the number and it should go through.

But let the phone sit plugged in for 15 mins then turn it off and turn it back on.

Go to what webpage?

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
The link you supplied was the same as above and did not work ... al I got was the erro I stated above.

So ... I called the number in the error and it walked me through me a few steps and said my phone is now activated ... said to turn off for 5 minutes then turn back on .... I did this and when I turned back on it said no service for about 30 seconds and then kicked in!

I am now active.

Thanks though for all the info .. I would have never got that number if I didn't use the link and get that error.

Thanks again and I hope everyone enjoys there new phone! :D

Last edited:

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Here is how I activated my wife's iPhone this morning. You need like it was brand new, so you will need to do a factory reset. Walkthrough the setup on the phone and during that process, it will activate. If it doesn't give you any activation screens, call AT&T or go to an AT&T Store and they will activate it for you. Just have your IMEI in hand so they can ID your handset.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
Are you guys sure about that? Because every time I go to the website it keeps telling you to do it in iTunes.... Not going to lie, this is frusterating.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Are you guys sure about that? Because every time I go to the website it keeps telling you to do it in iTunes.... Not going to lie, this is frusterating.

If you are having the same issue as me call this number: Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500

I stated above how it worked for me. Hope this does it for you as well.

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
Step 4 in from the email: "4. Activate your device online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone."

The activations web page did not work for me.

I called the phone number above and it worked perfectly. It is all automated and was a quick, simple process.

Gibson424

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2004
Orlando, FL
Step 4 in from the email: "4. Activate your device online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone."

The activations web page did not work for me.

I called the phone number above and it worked perfectly. It is all automated and was a quick, simple process.

I second this. Couldn't activate all day, finally called the number, easy automated process, phone is activated. Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.