Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
whenever my iPhone goes into standby mode, I have to connect to wifi again.

Every time it makes me enter a password.

There is no option to 'forget this network' under connected wifi settings.

I did a 'network resettings' and hard reset, going to try restoring then seeing.

Setting up iPhone as new, not restoring from a backup.

Anyone else? This is weird. My dad's 5 doesnt exhibit the same things AND I restored from an iOS 5 iCloud backup as well.

Going to try a restore.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
hard reset didnt do anything either. going to try a reset.

unless by hard reset you mean reset all settings and content.

skiwil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I have the exact same issue. If my phone is asleep for aim or two it completely forgets my network and I have to enter the password all over again.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
hard reset didnt do anything either. going to try a reset.

unless by hard reset you mean reset all settings and content.

I actually started a thread earlier because I was having the same problem. What I did:

1. turned off wifi
  2. turned on wifi
  3. select "other"… not your own network
  4. manually enter your network name
  5. select password type and then enter password

It worked for me. Apparently, by doing this, it remembers the authentication key. Hope this helps you or anyone else.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
weird.

it does it with my netgear, but not with my modem that has the wifi built in (i normally leave it disabled because netgear has traditionally been better)

but on an ios 5 iphone 4 it doesnt always connect, but when i click it, doesnt ask for password.

and my dads connects all the time on his 5 (the one that was restored from icloud backup)

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
I had the same problem when I bought my new iPad, but a simple reset fixed that problem. The iPhone 5 was harder to get it to stay connected on wifi.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I actually started a thread earlier because I was having the same problem. What I did:

1. turned off wifi
  2. turned on wifi

It worked for me. Apparently, by doing this, it remembers the authentication key. Hope this helps you or anyone else.

will give it a try.

does this lead you to believe its a software-router compatibility issue of some type or hardware?

When I try to restore, it says device not eligible for requested build :(

Last edited:

eBoy90

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
UK
weird.

it does it with my netgear, but not with my modem that has the wifi built in (i normally leave it disabled because netgear has traditionally been better)

but on an ios 5 iphone 4 it doesnt always connect, but when i click it, doesnt ask for password.

and my dads connects all the time on his 5 (the one that was restored from icloud backup)

Having the same problem with the same setup. Noticed a few other people saying the same thing. Very frustrating.

It won't let me connect using the 'other' option either. Don't know what to do

Last edited:

skiwil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Thank u for the other network trick. It seems to have worked, I'll have to do some more testing to make sure

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I was able to connect using the other option..

seems to have remembered it this go round! Thanks!! this was driving me nuts.

(when I put the phone down for a few minutes and turn on the screen again, its connected to wifi instead of just stuck at '4g' until I enter password again.

I think this might be a software bug related to specific routers too. If it were hardware, not this many people would be chiming in already on this thread and it would have faded into oblivion immediately.

This seemed to crop up before iPhone 5 came out (with regards to an "iOS 6 wifi issue").

And I wonder if I couldn't restore the device because that firmware is too new (the one for iOS 6 specific to iPhone 5) to be signing it again?) I dunno.

thank goodness I could get it out of DFU mode by holding down both buttons again until I got the apple logo.

I think the 'other' thing really ironed it out. And the issue didn't seem to be happening with my other cable modem/router combo oddly enough.

My dad's didnt do it either, so in this case, "restore from backup" was preferable to setting up new haha.

laser21

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Im experiencing the same. Iphone 5 6.0,1, I will go to the store tomorrow and ask.

thanks, the workaround works, but is annoying

bandityo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Mine did the same...what Janderson said is the way to fix it...mines worked perfectly since doing that a couple of weeks ago

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Im experiencing the same. Iphone 5 6.0,1, I will go to the store tomorrow and ask.

thanks, the workaround works, but is annoying

I doubt given that it's happening on all these devices that anything can be done except hoping 6.1 addresses it.

I haven't posted in here in a long time because I haven't seen it on **any** of my iPhone 5's since when I created this thread and originally had the issue.

Of course, I don't use a ton of wifi spots just a few, and starbucks. Actually, I think I turn starbucks wifi off because LTE is muchhhh faster even if its my data, I have the faux unlimited.

Maybe depends on router. But also been connecting to WPA protected networks where that's supposed to have the most issue I think.

Tote vet

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012

1. turned off wifi
  2. turned on wifi

This workaround solved my troubles too. It was experienced on iOS 5.1 & 6.0.1 by me.
Thank you, saves a lot of time :) :apple:

scottha

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
I have tried EVERYTHING (reset network, wifi, location services, swing a black cat on a full moon), and this finally fixed it. Thank you, JAnderson!

1. turned off wifi
  2. turned on wifi

mey2

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Worked for Me

See janderson reply - this also worked for me - Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.