Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stibbzy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Apple store took one look at mine and said 'that doesn't seem right'. Swapped it for a new one straight away, and it's working just fine...

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I have the AT&T Uverse router (I know, I know..) and I'm getting the same reception around my house as I did with my iPhone 4.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
My Wifi signal was dropping out with my new Iphone 5.

It was switching over to 4g and I had to manually go into setting and reconnect with the wireless network.

Then I read somewhere to change my router settings.

I changed from G only to a mix of G and B and It has not dropped since.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Solution: Change router to WEP. :( It must be a software issue with WPA. Everything is running fast with WEP. If I'm not mistaken, this was a problem with one of the Betas for iOS 6 for the iPad.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Tested it again. And that seems to be the issue. Its software related. I hope Apple fixes this in 6.0.1. I dislike having my Wifi on WEP.

Mrke1

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I don't know if I buy that it's software at this point. My 3rd Gen IPad is on ios6 and has no issues. My IPhone 5 is having major issues connecting.

Stibbzy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I don't know if I buy that it's software at this point. My 3rd Gen IPad is on ios6 and has no issues. My IPhone 5 is having major issues connecting.

Mine definately wasn't software related. As soon as the Apple store sorted me out with a new phone, I haven't had an issue since.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think there are maybe two issues with WiFi, but mine isn't a WPA problem. Two iPhone5s in the same room as the router. One is 3 bars and wonderful, one is barely holding a bar- 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Does that little dot at the bottom count as a bar? I'm down to the dot.

Pman1231

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Same issue. Connecting to an apple time machine. WPA is the only option. Looks like I will have to go to apple store. My iPhone 4 has never lost signal in house and iPhone 5 drops completely after 5 metres. Must be hardware as software tests would have captured this issue for everyone.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
had same issue for the iphone 5 from ups. would not even pick up my wifi network. just called apple store up and they said if you have time come down and we'll just exchange it out. which they did and now no problems.

32gb black

ruckleapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Japan
Well just got off the phone with my local Apple store (which is an hour away).
No walk in exchange for me cause they don't have any stock that hasn't already been reserved. So I have to wait about 2 weeks and then I can exchange for a new 'wifi working' iPhone 5. I guess the plus side is I don't have to worry so much about keeping the iPhone 5 I have new is pristine condition, as I'm getting a new one in 2 weeks anyway.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
My cellular signal is fine as is LTE, wifi on wireless N is weaker whereas my G on the same router is strong. My IP4 didn't have wireless N and was always on wireless G so I can't compare. I am on WPA/WPA2 for both wireless settings

I'm assuming this is a software issue that may be fixed with the next round of firmware updates hopefully.

Pman1231

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Ok. Went to apple. Wanted me to bring time capsule to store to replicate problem. The guy was not very helpful. Don't have time for a while to do that so thought I'd turn on my wireless on billion modem and use WEP. After some tinkering with channels I now have 2 or 3 bars up and running for 20 mins. So looking like a problem with WPA or time capsule. Now I have to maintain 2 wireless networks :(

superjew1492

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
my time capsule will only let me select WPA2 Persona or WPA2 Enterprise, but i'm getting 2 bars strength from 4 feet away at 5ghz...

Pman1231

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Spoke to soon. It's dropping at times even when on 2 bars. I reckon it's an issue also with automatically jumping back to 3G when it's a stronger signal than wireless. Apple need to investigate and fix.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My problem resolved itself. I think it helped that I turned it completely off (hold down the top button, slide the slider), and then back on.

ibrake4ants

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I was having this issue and I removed my phone from its gel case which I bought at the Sprint store. So far it looks like the case was causing the problem!!! It was the Technocel high gloss gel case from the Sprint store.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I'm getting one bar of signal no matter how close or far I am from the router. Speed tests yield great results though, so it might be a software/display issue.

I have two routers with two separate Internet connections in my place. One is dual band 2.4/5ghz with WEP and the other is 2.4ghz with WPA2.

Same result on both. Distance doesn't matter and speed tests are great. I'm leaning towards it being some kind of display issue but I could be wrong.

ibrake4ants

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Nikos, do you have your phone in a case? If so, have you removed it to see if it makes a difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.